The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

Clearing FAQ's/Megathread!

Clearing FAQ's and Megathread for Questions!

Hi Everyone!

I hope you're all doing well and are enjoying your summer! We thought we'd do a little FAQs and good luck post ahead of us going into Embargo tomorrow where we can't really discuss any applications, or confirm anything that's to do with your university process until results day.

What is Clearing?
Clearing is a great time of year, and definitely gets a worse rep than it deserves! It's a time to apply directly to universities if you haven't already, change your mind on your course or university choice if you've already applied, and find new opportunities if you've not been made unconditional offers at your firm or insurance choice after receiving your results.

But isn't it just for if I've failed my college/sixth form courses?
Nope! Not at all. Obviously if you're now needing to look for a new university choice its there to support you, however Clearing is for anyone who wants to use it!

Can I go through Clearing if I've not made a UCAS application yet?
Yep, you definitely can! Its a great way of applying to university if you've changed your mind on going at the last minute, and doesn't need you to have submitted an application via UCAS in what we'd call the 'main cycle' - i.e. from September to June, when UCAS closed.

What do I need to apply via Clearing?
Your qualifications are the main thing we'll be asking for - this includes both your sixth form/college results, and any GCSE's or Level 2 qualifications the university requires. If you don't have these (or are still waiting on getting them back) you'll need to wait until you've got them, as we can't process an application on results you don't have. We'll also be needing your personal details, but hopefully you should be pretty knowledgeable about these! :wink:

How do I apply via Clearing?
Most universities will accept the majority of applications over the phone, which is usually the quickest, most direct method of applying. For some courses you might even be made an offer over the phone if you meet the requirements! A standard clearing application call takes about 10 minutes to complete, so please make sure that you have all of your results and details to hand. You can also fill out forms via university websites, but often these are for you to get a call back from one of the Clearing team to sort your application.

To apply to us, you'll need to call our Clearing lines on 0300 555 5030 - that's the best way to chat to our lovely Clearing team!

I've applied through Clearing over the phone and received an offer - what now?
If you've used UCAS in this academic year you'll need to log into your UCAS Hub and attach yourself via UCAS - its dead clear on UCAS how to do this, but if you're struggling with it you can give us a call!

I've got an offer from my firm or insurance choice, but don't want to go there anymore. Can I apply via Clearing?
Yes! Absolutely. We'd always recommend calling around to look at your options in Clearing before declining any offers, as you don't want to be without an offer! You can call universities and make Clearing applications before declining any places you already hold, but to attach yourself to your Clearing offer in UCAS you will need to be released into Clearing - you can do this yourself via the Clearing Hub.

What do I do about accommodation and finance if I've applied through Clearing and changed university/course?
Finance is the easiest one to sort - just give Student Finance a call to let them know you've changed universities/courses so this all matches up with your new university or course choice.
Accommodation is another thing to consider - if you've booked accommodation elsewhere you'll need to contact them to cancel this (as you're not going to be staying there anymore!), and will need to look into this at your new university.

I think that's the majority of our commonly asked questions, but please do ask any other queries below! As I mentioned earlier, we're going to be a little quiet on here for the next few days due to the embargo, but as soon as we can answer your questions we will!

Best of luck to everyone waiting on results or applying via Clearing - we've got every finger crossed for you! :heart:
All the best,
Becky, Jonny, Matt and Mumina - your University and Student Reps
I've got a place through clearing - I'm super excited to start!
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
I've got a place through clearing - I'm super excited to start!

Hey!

Ahhh amazing news - massive congratulations! What course are you starting with us?

All the best,
Becky
University of Salford Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending