The Student Room Group

anger problems

im a very angry person and go from 0 to angry in seconds and i hate it.
i feel its stopping me from being happy but i just cant shake it.
the tiniest thing will annoy me and it goes from there and i cant seem to blow steam no matter how hard i try.

how else do people calm themselves? id rather help myself then go to professionals
Weight training or Martial Arts they teach you that there are things stronger than your anger
Reply 2
Original post by SuperHuman98
Weight training or Martial Arts they teach you that there are things stronger than your anger

i cant easily get to any though and iv not got any weights although i would like some, i love deadlifting
Reply 3
I'm bad for this too :frown:

Trying to reduce as much background stress really helps as a lot of the time, its built up stress that causes us to lose our tolerance and then snap at the slightest thing.
Reply 4
Original post by Spock's Socks
I'm bad for this too :frown:

Trying to reduce as much background stress really helps as a lot of the time, its built up stress that causes us to lose our tolerance and then snap at the slightest thing.

wish i could but the stress for me is something i have to live with for the rest of my life -.-
I usually walk away from the situation and do something to distract myself until I've calmed down (e.g. listening to music). I find going for walks alone when I'm angry helps to calm me down a lot.

Ranting in a journal usually helps as well.
I wouldn't know , it's hard to piss me off. Although sometimes i've been really angry , like i would be shaking in anger.
Reply 7
Original post by shawtyb
wish i could but the stress for me is something i have to live with for the rest of my life -.-

Same for me but there are ways you can cope with the stress better and things I find help are exercise, eating healthy, cut out drinking or at least tone it down, join a support group or find a hobby. None of these will cure you or change what has caused your underlying stress but might help with your anger issues but if it does get worse or interferes with your relationships, therapy or counselling would be a good choice, especially if something has happened that has made caused the stress and anger build up.

For me, PMS set me off as well. I still had the stress every other day but it became even worse when I was due my period so I went on the pill and it became worse on that pill but after trial and error, I've found the pill for me and its improved my moods a lot. Could hormonal problems be an issue for you too maybe?
Reply 8
Original post by TimidPhoenix
I usually walk away from the situation and do something to distract myself until I've calmed down (e.g. listening to music). I find going for walks alone when I'm angry helps to calm me down a lot.

Ranting in a journal usually helps as well.

might have to try that lol ty

Original post by TSR Mustafa
I wouldn't know , it's hard to **** me off. Although sometimes i've been really angry , like i would be shaking in anger.

wow thats pretty angry! i cry if i get too angry

Original post by Spock's Socks
Same for me but there are ways you can cope with the stress better and things I find help are exercise, eating healthy, cut out drinking or at least tone it down, join a support group or find a hobby. None of these will cure you or change what has caused your underlying stress but might help with your anger issues but if it does get worse or interferes with your relationships, therapy or counselling would be a good choice, especially if something has happened that has made caused the stress and anger build up.

For me, PMS set me off as well. I still had the stress every other day but it became even worse when I was due my period so I went on the pill and it became worse on that pill but after trial and error, I've found the pill for me and its improved my moods a lot. Could hormonal problems be an issue for you too maybe?

hm yea i guess.
im due on now as it happens and im on the coil (mirena) so iv got extra hormones! didnt even think about that

ooh thats a good idea! yea il try this ty. im on android too
Reply 9
Just remember all we have is here and now, you gotta chillax because nothing really matters in the end.
Don't let petty things ruin your day!! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get away from whatever is making you angry, try to think about something else, drink water, and listen to music if that helps 😉
Identify your anger triggers and lower your (high) expectations (on yourself, others, objects and situations).

Relaxed breathing techniques can also be a useful vent for your emotions and physical tension. You'll need to practise it regulalry to be proficient with it.

Become more self aware (you said that you would prefer to help yourself):
http://www.clinicalhypnotherapy-cardiff.co.uk/anger/

Quick Reply

Latest