The Student Room Group

Job interview

Scroll to see replies

Do let us know how you get on if you do go John, but it is a very demoralising, miserable and tedious job role!
Original post by john1332123
they did seem relaxed on the phone about it

also do you really think it will be that easy and why, have you had experience

and its not all commission

And to all those who say that they hate salespeople I wouldn't be the type of sleazy salesman I would be completely honest on how much money they would be saving and whether they would be saving at all
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep this is exactly how it goes. They get as many people in to interview as possible, then give them all a week's work, and let them drop out when they decide it's not for them.

You can say you're being honest, but they'll give you dubious information to pass on. They just teach you the techniques of "turning"

Come back to me after the interview and tell me if they taught you this:

Customer "I've just switched recently"
You "That's fine, it doesn't actually matter that you switched recently, we can still save you money and it won't cost you anything"

C "I'm happy with my current supplier"
Y "That's great, but the gas and electric won't change, it all comes from the same place, all we're going to do is save you some money on your bills each month"

C "I can't be bothered with the hassle"
Y "That's fine, and I completely understand that, all it'll take is 5 minutes of your time now to fill out a form, and we'll do the rest, all that'll happen is that British Gas logo on your bill will become Npower, and it'll be for less money each month"

They tell you now it's not all commission, but it will be.
Ok I will let you all no how it goes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Although in terms of actual advice if you still want to make an effort, the best thing you can do is be confident. Sales is 90% confidence so if you can get that across any interview for a sales job will be a walk in the park. Also, salesman are judged on how good or bad they look, so look good, but don't over do it to the point where you're wearing a 3 piece Tom Ford suit if you know what I mean!
But would a normal suit be ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
But would a normal suit be ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say a 3 piece is fine for the type of job you're going for. It's about presentation so the better you look, the more likely you are to get it (as I said, you'll likely already have it)
Agree to a certain extent. I wear 3 piece suits to interviews myself. Was just making the point to John that there's a limit, as he might not know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you actually going door to door or will you stand in the middle of the town centre.
Original post by Donkey******
Yep this is exactly how it goes. They get as many people in to interview as possible, then give them all a week's work, and let them drop out when they decide it's not for them.

You can say you're being honest, but they'll give you dubious information to pass on. They just teach you the techniques of "turning"

Come back to me after the interview and tell me if they taught you this:

Customer "I've just switched recently"
You "That's fine, it doesn't actually matter that you switched recently, we can still save you money and it won't cost you anything"

C "I'm happy with my current supplier"
Y "That's great, but the gas and electric won't change, it all comes from the same place, all we're going to do is save you some money on your bills each month"

C "I can't be bothered with the hassle"
Y "That's fine, and I completely understand that, all it'll take is 5 minutes of your time now to fill out a form, and we'll do the rest, all that'll happen is that British Gas logo on your bill will become Npower, and it'll be for less money each month"

They tell you now it's not all commission, but it will be.

I had the interview today he said he would call me if successful what do you think do i have it
I don't doubt it at all John
Original post by BradPennick
I don't doubt it at all John

thanks
Are you going to go for it if they do? To be fair, money is money if they do pay you hourly/ salary so as much as it might suck everyone has bills to pay :smile:
I had the interview today he said he would call me if successful what do you think do i have it

Sounds like you'll get called in, did they say what the salary was?
Original post by Donkey******
Sounds like you'll get called in, did they say what the salary was?

you were right it is all commission only and they have still not called back
Original post by BradPennick
Do let us know how you get on if you do go John, but it is a very demoralising, miserable and tedious job role!

he did say in the interview be prepared for people telling you to **** off and he show me all the employees salary for the week some were 300 some were 900 and some were 3000.
Those £3000 a week people something a myth to be honest mate. They wouldn't exactly be allowed to show you actual payslips from people working there.

With commission only, I'd make a strong recommendation of giving it a miss

Posted from TSR Mobile
you were right it is all commission only and they have still not called back

Weird, maybe they didn't think you were right then, I remember when I did it, I got taken for a coffee at a cafe opposite the building, and they gave me the job on the day, with a start date the day after.

Who knows, don't get too disheartened, it's alright for a while, but it's better to have something more stable I found.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending