The Student Room Group

rejected after interview

I had an interview at mcdonalds where they asked basic questions like my availability, previous experience and the hours i could work. I answered them all normally, I even lied and said I wasnt going to uni after I got my A level results. Next morning I got an email saying I was rejected, and I have no idea why. If I cant get a job at mcdonalds whats the point of applying anywhere else? Ive applied to around 30 jobs and mcdonalds was the only one I got an interview at which makes this even worse, I dont know what to do after this I have literally no money and no way of making any before uni
I'm in almost the same situation as you. I've applied to a bunch of jobs and keep getting rejected and although it may be because I'm not that experienced (what 18 year old is), I think it's because employers realise I'm not going to be sticking around after my results even if I haven't said that directly.
The job market seems really tough this year and literally none of my friends have managed to land a job over summer either. Although a lot of them can afford to not get a job and still survive uni, I'm not sure I can.
I wanted to just make my money in the holidays so I wouldn't have to work during uni since that's probably insanity. But since that hasn't happened I think I'll have to try and work a couple hours a week while at uni (assuming being in that city long term means they'll be more willing to give me a job).
Reply 2
Ask if they can give you some feedback, or at least reflect yourself on what went well and what could be improved about the interview. Maybe they sussed your post A level plan duplicity. In any events I reckon it’s a dreadful place to work and they did you a favour. Keep applying, there’s lots of jobs around
Reply 3
i'm literally in the same situation and it's so discouraging, i have a second one next week for a different branch and hope things go well, pretty sure near september there will be more jobs available due to uni students going back to uni so yeah good luck and keep searching i guess, you can try applying to an agency and they might help too
Reply 4
Original post by Zarek
Ask if they can give you some feedback, or at least reflect yourself on what went well and what could be improved about the interview. Maybe they sussed your post A level plan duplicity. In any events I reckon it’s a dreadful place to work and they did you a favour. Keep applying, there’s lots of jobs around

Their website says they don’t give feedback on applications and I wouldn’t know who to contact to ask for it

I literally can’t think of a single thing that went wrong during the interviews, they only asked a few questions and they were just about availability and previous work experience
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Jeparlepas
I'm in almost the same situation as you. I've applied to a bunch of jobs and keep getting rejected and although it may be because I'm not that experienced (what 18 year old is), I think it's because employers realise I'm not going to be sticking around after my results even if I haven't said that directly.
The job market seems really tough this year and literally none of my friends have managed to land a job over summer either. Although a lot of them can afford to not get a job and still survive uni, I'm not sure I can.
I wanted to just make my money in the holidays so I wouldn't have to work during uni since that's probably insanity. But since that hasn't happened I think I'll have to try and work a couple hours a week while at uni (assuming being in that city long term means they'll be more willing to give me a job).

The thing that makes it worse for me is that all my friends have jobs, and the places they work have literally no vacancies at all so they can’t even get me a job
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by lifeofpablo1
Their website says they don’t give feedback on applications and I wouldn’t know who to contact to ask for it

I literally can’t think of a single thing that went wrong during the interviews, they only asked a few questions and they were just about availability and previous work experience

Sometimes they will have more applicants than jobs available and they will be rejecting suitable candidates. Keep trying
The thing that makes it worse for me is that all my friends have jobs, and the places they work have literally no vacancies at all so they can’t even get me a job

If it makes you feel better I used to work there and it was horrendous.
Keep at it. It's normal for it take 6+ months to find a job.

I sent out 300 applications and had 17 interviews before landing a crappy manufacturing job. I kept being turned away for candidates with more relevent experience. A few weeks after that I secured an excellent graduate job.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9
I had an interview at mcdonalds where they asked basic questions like my availability, previous experience and the hours i could work. I answered them all normally, I even lied and said I wasnt going to uni after I got my A level results. Next morning I got an email saying I was rejected, and I have no idea why. If I cant get a job at mcdonalds whats the point of applying anywhere else? Ive applied to around 30 jobs and mcdonalds was the only one I got an interview at which makes this even worse, I dont know what to do after this I have literally no money and no way of making any before uni

As others have said it's best if you keep applying to jobs, don't let this experience discourage you and hopefully you'll be able to find something.

This experience reminds me of my own, I passed all the tests and online interviews for a job and the last step was an in-person interview, everything was going really well and I had some really strong responses, but then I made one light-hearted joke about feeling nervous for the interview - it was a throwaway comment - the interviewer picked up on this and started lecturing me. I didn't get the job despite putting so many hours into the entire application process.

For you, your Reponses might have been good, but they could have chosen someone who had more experience or they just felt like you were not a good fit for the role because they might have wanted certain things that you might not have had - it's not your fault. It'd be worth applying for online tutoring roles or even part time remote work so that you could work around your degree when you do start. Try volunteering, taking online courses and utilising every bit of work experience for your CV and for when you have an interview. Do some background searching on a company so you can have a better explanation as to why you want to work there, search up common interview questions and write sample answers.

I hope you can find something and I wish you the best of luck with things! :smile:

What predicted grades are on your CV? Are you very intelligent to the point where the interviewer knows you wouldn't last more than a couple weeks because of that just after speaking to you for a few minutes? My point is if you are very smart they may not want to risk.

Other option is that you are trash at lying and they knew. Another options is you are very boring and made the interview a mundane boring part of the interviewer's day.

Idk but good luck 🫶

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending