The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Turns out I'm a fair bit sicker than I thought lol I just got back from the doctors and I'm on close watch for a blood clot in my lung; I'm on strict rest; I had to take a bunch of steroids and be on a nebuliser for a bit; I have to go back first thing tomorrow, and I gotta call an ambulance if I get any worse. I don't feel anxious about the current state of my health, but I panic that this'll trigger my FM and CFS to relapse into like bed-bound territory and I won't be able to let it go for months until I'm completely in the clear. I don't think my body will physically be able to deal with a panic attack right now so I'm just trying to stay as calm as possible. I can hardly breathe as it is
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Turns out I'm a fair bit sicker than I thought lol I just got back from the doctors and I'm on close watch for a blood clot in my lung; I'm on strict rest; I had to take a bunch of steroids and be on a nebuliser for a bit; I have to go back first thing tomorrow, and I gotta call an ambulance if I get any worse. I don't feel anxious about the current state of my health, but I panic that this'll trigger my FM and CFS to relapse into like bed-bound territory and I won't be able to let it go for months until I'm completely in the clear. I don't think my body will physically be able to deal with a panic attack right now so I'm just trying to stay as calm as possible. I can hardly breathe as it is

That doesn't sound good. Do you have netflix/dvds or something you can put on to just relax? Maybe start watching a new series? I highly recommend Gotham or mr robot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sabertooth
That doesn't sound good. Do you have netflix/dvds or something you can put on to just relax? Maybe start watching a new series? I highly recommend Gotham or mr robot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah haha, gonna order food and set myself up in bed for the night. Really into them both though! I might actually try and get on with Mr. Robot now that I've been officially declared 'unfit for college' and don't have to try and push through to go in lol
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Just fyi there are non-addictive sleeping meds out there! I take an antihistamine PRN (only when required, not every night) if I can't sleep. I was specifically put on that one coz it's non-addictive :colondollar:

:lovehug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i just dont really want to have to rely on anything to stay asleep if ygm :redface:
plus i havent even been prescribed it i only took it bc i thought why tf not lol although it was antihistamine so idk if that is the same thing?
:hugs: x
Does anyone find it tough when therapist is nice/caring towards you?

I found it difficult today. I don't know how he can be nice to me after hearing what I did. I feel like i don't deserve it.
Original post by ~Tara~

I found it difficult today. I don't know how he can be nice to me after hearing what I did. I feel like i don't deserve it.

Hugs from here. :hugs:

I find it difficult when ANYONE is nice to me. :frown: Feel like such a fraud and that they should/would hate me or secretly do and bleh. :frown: Gets all muddled up in my brain. But find it especially hard when its nurse or someone like that, or when it's someone I really care about. I think I just feel like such a fraud, and when they "find out" what I'm actually about they'll dump me and run or openly hate me or something along those lines. :frown:
My mum said my anxiety medication is making me "too calm" and that's why I'm seemingly being slow in my search for graduate work. My medication is not psychoactive for a start, and they're also the same tablets that eased my panic attacks so I could:

1) go to the damn supermarket
2) cope with car journeys
3) eat in restaurants
4) go to lectures
5) sit my final year exams
6) not fail my degree
7) look for work and do a job interview
8) travel abroad with my friend to see a concert

Basically I can now, for the most part, function normally. They've been an invaluable lifeline for me and I'm so grateful to have had them. Granted some aspects of my anxiety are still bad and I am attempting to deal with those through therapy and regular exercise and hopefully soon I'll be able to come off the medication. I still get pretty tense and fearful when I'm out and the negative thinking is almost constant, but I'm slowly making progress. But as long as pressure is being put on me by people who don't get how bad this year has been for me because of my illness, I feel doubtful that I'll recover fully.
Original post by Anonymous
i just dont really want to have to rely on anything to stay asleep if ygm :redface:
plus i havent even been prescribed it i only took it bc i thought why tf not lol although it was antihistamine so idk if that is the same thing?

The antihistamine I take is Phenergan.

Think of it this way: if you were diabetic, you wouldn't be reluctant or ashamed or being reliant on insulin to stay alive and vaguely healthy, would you? :nah:

Original post by ~Tara~

Huge hugs and feel free to rant via PM to me if that would help. I veer between wanting to cry and wanting to smack my therapist when she's nice to me. She keeps telling me how bad a time I've had and how I've been very resilient through it all, and I'm just like STFU, lol :erm:

Does it help you sleep? If the answer is yes and you're not getting any nasties from it there's no problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
The antihistamine I take is Phenergan.

Think of it this way: if you were diabetic, you wouldn't be reluctant or ashamed or being reliant on insulin to stay alive and vaguely healthy, would you? :nah:

:hugs:
:lol: well ive never thought about it like that tbh although i suppose it is true, it is mostly bc i havent been prescribed it so i feel like it isnt a 'proper' thing but i suppose if it worked i could always try and get it prescribed idk :redface:

Original post by Andy98
Does it help you sleep? If the answer is yes and you're not getting any nasties from it there's no problem

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes it does andy :redface:
and idk cos i only took it once but tbh i would sooner peg it than exist on 5 hours of sleep a night anyway tbh :redface: x
She keeps telling me how bad a time I've had and how I've been very resilient through it all, and I'm just like STFU, lol :erm:

I know this feeling. I hate how parts of my past come across as some kind of "sob story" whereas I just want to be treated like everyone else. It particularly annoys me when people are like, "well you're doing better than a lot of people in your "situation" don't pressure yourself too much". Pisses me right off.
I failed again.

Did I tell you guys I'm doing a class in scuba diving? I emailed the instructor and told him I can't do it anymore. My anxiety and claustrophobia go sky high everytime I go underwater. I genuinely feel like I'm going to die. It's something I've always wanted to try and now I'm chickening out of it like I do with everything. I start so many things and then give up; how will I ever hold down a job? :frown:
Has anyone ever had IPT? Been offered it, need to decide by this afternoon and probably just going to say yes anyway but be interesting to hear any experiences. Hadn't really ever heard of it.

Big hugs that needs them, TLG and Saber especially- you're not a failure :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Callan had his appointment today with the job centre and it went well. They aren't forcing him to look for work and agree that it's important he stays as my carer. The advisor who he saw was very understanding about OCD which was nice and he was agreeing that most people don't understand the seriousness of the illness. Faith in the job centre somewhat restored :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
Callan had his appointment today with the job centre and it went well. They aren't forcing him to look for work and agree that it's important he stays as my carer. The advisor who he saw was very understanding about OCD which was nice and he was agreeing that most people don't understand the seriousness of the illness. Faith in the job centre somewhat restored :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Iv always found those in the job centre are much nice than in the call centres!

Its always nice to get someone that understands!

Posted from TSR Mobile
omg i havent felt this bad since February :/
omg i havent felt this bad since February :/

:jumphug: xxxx
Huge hugs for all who need them. Have slid again and dissociated really badly at uni and had to quickly remove myself from the campus :emo: So not able to support anyone today, but thoughts are with you all :grouphugs:
Had to decide if I wanted the uni to tell my lecturers and tutors about my mental health diagnosis (schizophrenia) and being a small course they will know who I am. I was brave and ticked yes to letting them know! Being a clinical psychology course I'm hoping they won't be prejudice or treat me differently (in a bad way)
Original post by Noodlzzz
Had to decide if I wanted the uni to tell my lecturers and tutors about my mental health diagnosis (schizophrenia) and being a small course they will know who I am. I was brave and ticked yes to letting them know! Being a clinical psychology course I'm hoping they won't be prejudice or treat me differently (in a bad way)

So proud of you for this! :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest