The Student Room Group

AJ's Autumn 2016 Anime Preview Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AngryJellyfish
Izetta wasn't bad at all, I'm half hoping that one of the titles on my want to watch list turns out to be really disappointing, so I've got a valid excuse for picking it up instead. :p:

Today should be busy for me, six more to come (if everything that airs is subbed on time), three of which I'd planned on keeping on. In the meantime, I've still got one from yesterday to cover... back in an hour or so. :ciao:

Hope you enjoy them :smile:
Hibike! Euphonium 2

The season's first double-length episode, and a nice reintroduction to the characters. They really have come a long way, from the dubious performances at the start of S1, to placing first in the Kyoto competition, and going on to represent it in the Kansai competition! Especially Hazuki, who joined the club as a complete newbie. We were introduced to some new characters, who will no doubt be central to the story of this sequel - First was Mizore, always present in the band, but quiet and uninterested in any of this year's drama. Second was Nozomi, one of the members who quit en masse the year before, but now wants to rejoin. Seems these two have a lot of history, but exactly what happened that year remains a mystery for now. I'll be keeping it on to find out. :smile: Same great music and animation as before.
Flip Flappers

It may have ended up at the bottom of my want to watch list, but Flip Flappers' first episode was by far the best I've seen so far this season. :biggrin: Schoolgirl Cocona doesn't know where to go next in her life, but ends up forcefully dragged into a wonderful world of edible snow by the hyperactive Papika, in search of an item that will grant their wishes. This episode had so much style, brilliant animation and direction, and I love the character designs. The plot shows tons of potential, with all sorts of things from secret organisations to mysterious twins making brief appearances amidst the chaos. And then came the ED theme - very catchy song, and the accompanying animations and art were fantastic. All I hope is that there's some substance beneath the style, and that it remains this entertaining until the end.

---

Keijo!!!!!!!!

From the best of the season to... well, Keijo!!!!!!!!, the only series I've come across with more exclamation marks than letters to its name. This series is literally about girls slamming their busts and backsides into other girls to score points for cash prizes and to entertain crowds, so it goes without saying that the fanservice levels are high. I've seen enough T & A to last a whole season from this episode alone, so I won't be keeping it on. On the positive side, there was plenty of variation in the character designs and body types, they weren't all balloon-breasted clones with a token loli as you find with a lot of other ecchi shows. Animation and music was pretty good, voice acting was nice, and featured a lot of regional accents. Just definitely not my kind of series.
(edited 7 years ago)
Subbed Crunchyroll trailer added for Lostorage incited WIXOSS~
All Out!!

A very typical intro to a high school sport anime. We were introduced to two first years: one who is short but energetic and feisty and takes to rugby the moment he is scouted (despite knowing nothing about the sport), the other a gentle giant who has a history of playing rugby, but who is traumatized after injuring a friend with a tackle back in middle school. I love the character designs, and with animation coming from Madhouse, it should continue to look amazing throughout the series. The comedy was good too, especially the awkward 'dead end' moment in the eyecatches. :p: As mentioned in my first impressions, the only downside is its similarity to Haikyuu!!, which I'm far more attached to after watching two previous series... too good to drop outright though. This season isn't making things easy for me. :no:

One thing I have decided though, is that Magic-kyun! Renaissance is pretty bad compared with everything else on my maybe list, and too similar to UtaPri - dropped.
Drifters

Action-packed, gory, a suitable replacement for Berserk methinks! Drifters may not be animated in dubious 3DCG, but the 2D wasn't stellar either, Hoods being a smaller studio. I liked the colour scheme though, everything very dark, except for the reds which were strikingly bright - same style used for manga authour Hirano Kouta's more famous work, Hellsing. There's not much we can say about the plot at this point; famous warriors who supposedly died in historic battles are instead being sent to a fantasy world (with elves - auto picked-up) for reasons unknown, via a white corridor full of doors. Time doesn't seem to work the same way in this place, with main character Toyohisa Shimazu soon followed into the corridor by a man in modern military equipment. I look forward to seeing what this is all about - picked up!

Dropping Soushin Shoujo Matoi, as the number of spaces on my watching list are fast decreasing.
Lostorage incited WIXOSS

Main character Suzuko returns to the town she lived in as a child, but as her only close friend there has moved house. Entering high school as a second year, all her classmates have already formed their groups of friends, and they can't even spare the time to show her where the classrooms are. Her father is busy with work, and she never sees him; her mother seems to have passed away. This episode did a great job of building up a lonely atmosphere, but Suzuko remains positive, as she has happy memories of the place... guess what this new version of the cursed WIXOSS game preys on? There was no subtlety or deception this time - the moment Suzuko met her LRIG, she was told she'd be playing to keep her memories intact, and her only reward for winning the game is freedom from it. Very creepy. Very much picked up.

---

Watashi ga Motete Dousunda

I'll be honest, I'm not totally comfortable with the way Kae was first portrayed as a stereotypical 'fat = ugly' character, with beady little eyes and a stupid voice, largely ignored by three of the four guys who then went on to fall head over heels for her the moment she lost weight and became good looking. The rest of it was very much my kind of humour, from the reason she lost weight (death of her favourite anime character) to her delusional pairings of the boys. I feel seeing her drag them around to various otaku hotspots would be amusing. I liked her fujoshi discussions/debates with her friend. But I can't help but feel that Kae's weight being played for laughs was really mean, and I think that feeling would linger regardless of how good the series gets later on. For that reason, I'll be dropping it.

Picking up Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru instead, it has prettier characters and a bigger harem anyway.

Dropping Tiger Mask W, no space for this one I'm afraid.
(edited 7 years ago)
Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou

Despite being one of many standard sport anime this season, this reintroductory episode of Haikyuu!! blew the others out of the water. It didn't need to bother with character introduction, as we already know and love the members of Karasuno's volleyball team, and their rivalry with champions Shiratorizawa is well established. It didn't need to bother with buildup either - these short 10 episodes will all be about the finals, and with the announcement that they'll be playing five sets instead of the usual three, it really is going to be jam-packed. :zomg: Production I.G. can be relied on to deliver great animation, and both the OP and ED themes were good too. There's not much else to add, if you enjoyed the two previous series, surely this will already be on your watching list too. :biggrin:

Compared with that, Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume doesn't feel worth my time - dropped.

---

Girlish Number

One of the few series this season not to get official subs within hours of airing (I had to make do with dubious fansubs), which is a shame, as it wasn't that bad. Our main character Chitose is a newbie seiyuu (voice actress), and through this first episode we got a look 'behind the scenes' at what the industry is really like... or what the industry wants us to think it is really like? :p: I was surprised by how scathing some of the characters' remarks about light novels and their authors were in particular! But through a stroke of luck, Chitose gets picked for the role of main character in a light novel/anime/idol multimedia project, despite nobody having checked whether or not she can sing... If you liked Shirobako from a year or two back, this has a similar feel, but I'll be passing on it due to lack of space on my list (and reliable subs).
Do you have a Myanimelist? I would like to stalk you.
Original post by Applepiex3
Do you have a Myanimelist? I would like to stalk you.

Sadly not, Anime-Planet is my listing site of choice - here's my account on there, if you're interested. :smile:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Sadly not, Anime-Planet is my listing site of choice - here's my account on there, if you're interested. :smile:

You're going to be my ultimate guide hehe XD

Original post by Applepiex3
You're going to be my ultimate guide hehe XD

Glad to be of service? :afraid: :p:
ClassicaLoid

I don't know what I just watched, but I liked it a lot! :biggrin: Otowa Kanae is forced to sell the wonderful, heavily music-themed mansion that used to belong to her grandmother, which means the two freeloaders living there have to go. However, those two freeloaders happen to be Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Ludwig van Beethoven... though not as we know them, with the former more interested in rollerskating and causing mischief, while the latter attempts to cook the perfect gyoza. There was very little in the way of classical music (aside from that playing as BGM) until right at the end, when the house is threatened with demolition - at that point, an electronic version of Beethoven's 6th Symphony starts playing, the construction workers start dancing, and their vehicles turn into giant robots... which also dance. Bizarre. Picked up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Long Riders!

I assumed this would be an all-girl equivalent of Yowamushi Pedal, focusing on competitive cycling and tournaments, but this first episode was far more relaxed than that. Main character Ami is a complete newbie to cycling, having randomly decided to take it up after seeing another student on a fold-up bike. Constrained by a lack of funds, she's quite happy to ignore her friend's advice about speed and performance, buying a cheaper bike on the basis that it looks cute. And that was pretty much the feeling throughout the episode, very cute, very laid back. Ami did learn that cycling is more physically demanding than it looks though, especially if you haven't slept or eaten beforehand! I enjoyed this, but I can't pick up everything, so I'll leave it for now.

---

Stella no Mahou

One of the earliest series to air this season, yet cruelly overlooked in the subtitles department (until I finally found this passable fansub), so that ruined any chance of me seriously considering picking it up. Very similar in feel to Long Riders! to be honest - once again, our main character decides to take up a new hobby despite having no real past experience. This time, that hobby is PC game making! The entire SNS club that she joins is made up of amateurs, with their skilled former president having graduated the year before, so their path to creating something worthy of selling at Comiket could be an amusing one. Sub-issues aside, I preferred the pacing and animation in Long Riders!, so it's unlikely I would have picked this up, but you may prefer Stella if you're a fan of the school club setting. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Occultic;Nine

I though Occultic;Nine would be a safe bet, an anime adaptation of a Shikura Chiyomaru story, mixing mystery, sci-fi and the paranormal. However, that first episode was far too fast paced. Too much happened, too many characters were introduced, and it just jumped from scene to scene rapidly without warning. Main character Gamon was a bit irritating, nowhere near as likable as Steins;Gate's Okarin; Ryo-tas wasn't so bad, except that they insisted on zooming in on her breasts the majority of the time she was talking. Animation quality was nowhere near what I've come to expect from A-1 Pictures. I'm disappointed, because there's bound to be a really interesting story here given the hook at the end, but most of my enthusiasm had dissipated by that point. Dropped, but I may revisit this if I hear good things.

---

3-gatsu no Lion

I've not picked up many slice of life series this season, owing to my preference for action and plot, but this one pretty much demanded a place on my list! The story focuses on Kiriyama Rei, a young schoolboy and professional shogi player. Beyond that, and the fact he has an uneasy relationship with his adopted father, we don't know much about him at this point, but he's clearly not happy. Three people who do seem very happy are the Kawamoto sisters, who invite Rei over and treat him like part of the family. The characters and writing seem good, no surprise as the manga has won awards. The animation and directing was exceptional, no surprise as Akiyuki Simbo is one of my favourite anime directors. The BGM was great, and both the OP and ED were performed by Bump of Chicken - I can't drop this!
(edited 7 years ago)
The vast majority of first episodes have now aired, and I'd like to finalize my lineup for this season so that I can start my weekly blogging. Unfortunately, there are still no subs for one of my most anticipated series, Ajin S2, so its place will instead go to:

Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari

I called it in my pre-season first impressions, there was no way I could pass up on a series this cute. Another slice of life series, with a similar feel to 3-gatsu in that our main character Souta is feeling quite down. He's 30 years old, and there are hints that he may have issues at work. His father has recently died, and we learned in a flashback that they argued a long time ago, with Souta refusing to take on the family business making udon. But rather than three happy sisters, it seems Souta will have a hyperactive, wheat-stealing tanuki child to keep him company. Seriously, Poko is so cute. With people still coming from far and wide to visit the udon restaurant, and with Souta having found his father's recipes, I'm guessing a change of career is on the horizon~

That still leaves three series on my 'maybe' list. I've decided to pick up two more series than usual: I feel Shuumatsu no Izetta and Yuri!!! on Ice are the most likely to provide something new and different. All Out!! looks promising, but very standard, so I'll pass on it for now.

---

And that's pretty much it for this season! I'll likely share my first thoughts on Ajin 2 and Idol Memories if/when subs surface, as well as for the late-airing Fune wo Amu and Luger Code, but in the meantime, feel free to share your thoughts on what's aired so far. Which first episodes have you liked or disliked? Do the sequels look as though they'll live up to their earlier series? Who are your favourite characters? Or anything else that springs to mind. :p:

Quick Reply

Latest