AJ's Autumn 2016 Anime Preview Thread

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This may be the longest preview thread I've ever made, at 46 titles. It certainly felt like the longest. Thankfully, most of the series on offer were good-looking enough to keep me awake and entertained. Here's what you can expect from the coming season:

(These series are all due to air in the first few weeks of October. If you're looking for something to watch between now and then, maybe check last season's preview thread, or ask in TSR's Anime Society for some ideas!)

~~~~~
    12-Sai. Chiccha na Mune no Tokimeki 2

Genre: Romance, School, Shoujo
    Animation Studio: Oriental Light and Magic
    Japanese Airdate: Oct 3, 2016
    Seiyuu:
    Director:

(Original post by Summary:)
    The second season of 12-Sai.
    A boring start to the thread, with a sequel to a show I didn't watch – the first episode was cute, though. Very little info out for this yet officially, but I imagine it'll have the same voice cast and staff as its first series.

3-gatsu no Lion

Genre: Drama, Game, Slice of Life
    Animation Studio: Shaft
    Japanese Airdate: Oct 8, 2016
    Seiyuu: Kawanishi Kengo, Hanazawa Kana, Kayano Ai
    Director: Akiyuki Simbo (Arakawa Under the Bridge, Hidamari Sketch)

Rei Kiriyama is a 17-year-old boy who recently started living alone, financed by his salary as a professional Shogi player. Despite his independence, however, he's yet to mature emotionally, and his problems continue to haunt him in his daily life. His relationship with his adoptive family is strained, and he has difficulties interacting with his fellow high school students. Meanwhile, his professional career has entered a slump. Burdened with the heavy expectations placed on him as the fifth to become pro in middle school, his wins and losses are fluctuating as his record and progression into the ranks begin to stagnate.

Acquainted with Rei are the three Kawamoto sisters: Akari, Hinata, and Momo. Unlike Rei, they live happily in their modest home, which they warmly welcome Rei into as if he were one of their own. Despite his reservations about becoming too close to the family, he frequently visits, interacting with them and receiving the kind of care and affection he never quite had while under his foster home.

This is the story of Rei's triumphs and failures, relationships new and old, and his growth as a person.
    It's always difficult to tell how good these slice of life shows are going to be until you've watched an episode or two and got to know the characters and setting. Still, this one's an adaptation of an award-winning manga, so I'm hopeful it'll be one of the season's better offerings.

Ajin 2

Genre: Action, Horror, Mystery
    Animation Studio: Polygon Pictures
    Seiyuu: Miyano Mamoru, Ootsuka Houchuu, Komatsu Mikako
    Director: Andou Hiroaki (Norageki!, Ajin)

Second season of Ajin.
    The first series stood out among other action shows for me, not because the plot is anything original, but because of the characters – Nagai Kei just doesn't think or act like your usual nice-guy protagonist, which makes things really unpredictable and interesting. Satou also makes for a great villain. Can't wait for more!

All Out!!

Genre: School, Seinen, Sports
    Animation Studio: Madhouse
    Japanese Airdate: Oct 7, 2016
    Seiyuu: Chiba Shouya, Adachi Yuuto, Oosaka Ryouta
    Director: Shimizu Ken`ichi (Parasyte: The Maxim, Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher)

In rugby, there is no ace striker, there is no number four batter, so who is the star of the team?

The story begins at school entrance ceremony of Kanagawa High School where Kenji Gion, a small but gutsy go-getter joins the rugby club. He joins with his classmate, Iwashimizu, who has a complicated past and sub-captain Hachiouji, who always takes good care of his Club members. Lastly, there is Captain Sekizan, who has overwhelming powers but keeps his cards close to his chest. With such differences in both personality and physical performance, the team must learn to work and grow together so they can become the best.
    I believe this is the first sport anime to focus on rugby, though aside from that I expect it'll follow the same tropes as every other. While this does look good, I'll probably stick with Haikyuu!! for my sports (and double exclamation mark) fix.

Bloodivores

Genre: Action, Supernatural, Vampire
    Animation Studio: Creators in Pack
    Japanese Airdate: Oct 1, 2016
    Seiyuu: Akabane Kenji, Kitamura Eri, Hayami Show
    Director: Chen Ye

60 years ago, a strange case of insomnia struck the population, forcing them to stay awake for more than a full week. The victims, completely sleep deprived, all went mad. To cure this illness, a new medicine was produced, but the side effects turned the patients into vampires. Humanity went to war against this new species and triumphed, but some of the vampires managed to survive. Born from a Human and a Vampire, the main character Mi Liu, “The Child of Hope”, is to represent the new hope that will connect the two species. Ringleader of a bank robbery, Mi Liu is arrested and transferred to a special prison of the National Defense Agency that monitors Vampires. Trying to break free with Anji, Mi Liu is attacked by strange monsters and he finds out that the prison location corresponds to the birthplace of Vampires, the old capital “Blue Town." Why are Vampires trapped in Blue Town? What are those strange monsters attacking them? Our heroes must fight to solve those mysteries.
    Mad, sleep-deprived vampires. Well, that's a fairly original origin for the overused creatures, at least! Creators in Pack have only ever produced short (2-10 minute), budget anime in the past, but apparently this one will be regular-length, so I'll be curious to see how it works out for them.

Brave Witches

Genre: Action, Ecchi, Military
    Animation Studio: Silver Link
    Japanese Airdate: Oct 6, 2016
    Seiyuu: Murakawa Rie, Kakuma Ai, Takamori Natsumi
    Director: Takamura Kazuhiro (Vividred Operation, Strike Witches)

In September 1944, allied forces led by the 501st Joint Fighter Wing "Strike Witches" successfully eliminate the Neuroi threat from the skies of the Republic of Gallia, thus ensuring the security of western Europe. Taking advantage of this victory, allied forces begin a full-fledged push toward central and eastern Europe. From a base in Petersburg in the Empire of Orussia, the 502nd Joint Fighter Wing "Brave Witches," upon whom mankind has placed its hopes, flies with courage in the cold skies of eastern Europe.
    A spin-off of Strike Witches, one of the earlier 'moe meets military' offerings! I did watch the first series, but wasn't overly fussed by the generic enemies and high levels of fanservice, so didn't bother with the second.

Bubuki Buranki: Hoshi no Kyojin

Genre: Action, Mecha, Sci-Fi
    Animation Studio: SANZIGEN
    Seiyuu: Kobayashi Yuusuke, Kanemoto Hisako, Ozawa Ari
    Director: Komatsuda Daizen (Bubuki Buranki)

Sequel of Bubuki Buranki.
    Bubuki Buranki wasn't the best series of this year... despite that, I did like the crazy characters and their crazier, colourful designs. In all likelihood I'll pick this up, as I don't like leaving stories unfinished.

Bungou Stray Dogs 2

Genre: Mystery, Seinen, Supernatural
    Animation Studio: Bones
    Seiyuu: Uemura Yuuto, Miyano Mamoru, Ono Kenshou
    Director: Igarashi Takuya (Soul Eater, Captain Earth)

Second season of 'Bungou Stray Dogs'.
    Another sequel... I found the first series of Bungou Stray Dogs quite a mixed bag, with some episodes among the best of its season, and others among the worst. It ended just as it was really starting to get interesting, so as with Bubuki I'll probably give it another chance.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G Next

Genre: Action, Adventure, Cards
    Animation Studio:
    Japanese Airdate: Oct 2, 2016
    Seiyuu:
    Director:

Next series in the Cardfight!! Vanguard G franchise.
    Fans of Cardfight!!, you have another series incoming to replace the currently airing Stride-hen. That's really all I can tell you at this point, with no promo art, trailers or synopsis. :dontknow:

ClassicaLoid

Genre: Comedy, Music
    Animation Studio: Sunrise
    Seiyuu: Shimazaki Nobunaga, Komatsu Mikako, Kaji Yuuki
    Director: Fujita Youichi (Osomatsu-san, Gintama)

In a rural town undergoing revival through music, high school students Kanae and Sousuke meet none other than Beethoven and Mozart! Calling themselves "ClassicaLoids," this mysterious duo creates a strange power through the "music" they play.

One night, stars fall from the sky and gigantic robots appear, causing trouble every single day! Bach, Chopin, Schubert also appear as ClassicaLoids. What is the mystery behind the powers they possess? Are they humanity's friend or foe?
    What have they done to Mozart!? :rofl: I approve! There are many music/idol series out there at the moment, with a fair few also featuring magic and action, but a focus on classical music is different, and given the director this one should be a laugh.

Digimon Universe: App Monsters

Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy
    Animation Studio: Toei Animation
    Seiyuu: Uchiyama Yumi, Kikuchi Kokoro, Kokido Shiho
    Director: Koga Gou (Happy Lucky Bikkuriman, DokiDoki! Precure)

Everyone in the world uses smartphone apps. But inside them lurks unknown creatures called "Appli Monsters," or "Appmon." The Appmon are AI lifeforms with the ability to think and act, and exist in the boundary between the human world and digital space. In the vast sea of the internet, the "last boss AI" Leviathan takes control of the Appmon with a virus and begins hacking every system, thus starting to control the human world from the world of the net. Haru Shinkai is led to acquire the Appli Drive, and uses it to materialize Gatchmon, a search app monster.
    Digimon modernises for today's smartphone generation~ I've not watched Digimon since I was 13 and it was on UK TV, but this one doesn't bring out the same feelings of nostalgia as the promos for Digimon Adventure Tri did, so I'll give it a miss.

Drifters

Genre: Action, Fantasy, Historical
    Animation Studio: Hoods Entertainment
    Seiyuu: Saiga Mitsuki, Uchida Naoya, Nakamura Yuuichi
    Director: Suzuki Ken`ichi (Gundam Evolve, SD Gundam Sangokuden Brave Battle Warriors)

Shimazu Toyohisa, whilst involved at the Battle of Sekigahara, manages to mortally wound Ii Naomasa, but is critically wounded in the process. As he walks from the field broken and bleeding, Toyohisa finds himself transported to a corridor of doors, where a bespectacled man at a desk waits for him. This man, Murasaki, sends Toyohisa into the nearest door where he wakes up in another world. There, Toyohisa meets other great warriors like him who have been transported as well, to be part of a group known as "Drifters."
    That was one long trailer! :zomg: And it told me a lot more about the series than any synopsis I've found so far. I'm now very interested in this one – and it's not just because I saw elf ears, honest!I wonder how many famous names from different times and places will be brought together in this?

Flip Flappers

Genre: Comedy, Sci-Fi
    Animation Studio: Studio 3Hz
    Seiyuu: Takahashi Minami, Mao, Fukushima Jun
    Director: Oshiyama Kiyotaka

Papika and Cocona hold the keys to open the door. When the two girls meet, their adventures in a different time and different overlapping dimension called "Pure Illusion" begin. Many things in Pure Illusion will stand in the girls' way on their search for the mysterious crystal called the "Shard of Mimi," an item that is said to grant any wish. However, when the girls find themselves in danger, the Shard of Mimi shines, and they are able to transform.
    Another one where the trailer won me over where the generic synopsis failed. Great animation and pretty colours~ The name is a bit silly, but I've seen far worse. :p: As ever with comedy series, the important thing is whether or not it can make me laugh, so we'll have to wait and see.

Fune wo Amu

Genre: Drama
    Animation Studio: Zexcs
    Japanese Airdate: Oct 14, 2016
    Seiyuu: Sakurai Takahiro, Sakamoto Maaya, Kamiya Hiroshi
    Director: Kuroyanagi Toshimasa (Sukitte Ii na yo., Shounen Hollywood: Holly Stage for 49)

The publication of a new dictionary titled The Great Passage progresses. Mitsuya Majime, originally from publisher Genbu Shobo's sales department, has been recruited by Kouhei Araki, a veteran editor of the dictionary department who is looking to retire soon. The dictionary department is known internally as the "money-eating insect," but Mitsuya uses his perseverance and attachment to the words in order to become a great editor. Mitsuya, who has poor social skills, finds himself working with another man named Masashi Nishioka, who is able to express himself better.
    I think the dictionary department of a publishing company has to win the award for most original setting this season, even if it isn't the most exciting on paper (to me, at least). :p: More than any other series, I can't say whether I'll enjoy this until I've seen the characters and the quality of the writing.

Girlish Number

Genre: Slice of Life
    Animation Studio: Diomedea
    Seiyuu: Senbongi Sayaka, Ishikawa Yui, Hondo Kaede
    Director: Ibata Shouta

The series follows Chitose Karasuma, a university student who aims to become a voice actress (seiyuu). The stage event listing further indicates that it focuses on the profession of idol seiyuu.
    There are other series that have focused on becoming seiyuu. There are other series that have focused on becoming idols. Is becoming an idol seiyuu much different? :iiam: I can't say I'm excited about the premise here, and the newbie director + hit-and-miss studio don't help its case.

Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Sports
    Animation Studio: Production I.G
    Seiyuu: Murase Ayumu, Ishikawa Kaito, Irino Miyu
    Director: Mitsunaka Susumu (Cuticle Tantei Inaba, Haikyuu!!)

The third season of Haikyuu!!
    At only 10 episodes long, focusing purely on the match between Karasuno and Shiratorizawa, this third series promises action and drama from beginning to end. It should be brilliant. Of course I'll be picking it up!

Heybot!

Genre: Comedy, Kids, Sci-Fi
    Animation Studio: Bandai Namco Pictures
    Japanese Airdate: Sep 18, 2016
    Seiyuu: Tamura Nao, Izawa Shiori, Yamaguchi Tomohiro
    Director: Ishihira Shinji (Fairy Tail, Log Horizon)

The anime takes place on the screw-shaped island country of Nejigajima and follows the two "Bokyabots" Hebot and the Yurui Prince Nejiru as they collect different "Bokya Neji" screws. When the Bokyabots wear the Bokya Neji screws on their heads, they're able to compete in "Bokya Battles," battles for who can think up and tell the best jokes.
    The robot designs look so 90s! Obviously designed to sell toys, as the end of the trailer confirmed, but the comedy angle makes it stand out from other kids shows of its type. This airs in less than a week - unlikely we'll see it translated, though. :giggle:

Hibike! Euphonium 2

Genre: Drama, Music, School
    Animation Studio: Kyoto Animation
    Seiyuu: Kurosawa Tomoyo, Anzai Chika, Toyota Moe
    Director: Ishihara Tatsuya (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!)

Second season of Hibike! Euphonium.
    KyoAni's more serious school music club anime returns! I enjoyed the first series a lot, so it'll be good to see the characters again (and hear them play more, now that they've reached a higher standard). Will almost certainly make my list.

Idol Memories

Genre: Music
    Animation Studio: Seven Arcs
    Seiyuu: Toyota Moe, Sagara Mayu, Hayase Marika
    Director: Kikuchi Katsuya

In the year 2035, virtual reality technology has evolved enough for people to enjoy world travel and other live experiences from the comfort of their own homes. In this virtual reality, idols perform for a worldwide audience. As the popularity of idols increases, the Kanon Private Academy is established on Beginning Island to train new idols. Vivi, Kokona and Sena make up the trio called StarRing, while Miku, Nanami and Yuchou make up the trio called Shadow, and all the six girls aspire to reach the top of the World Idol League.
    Idols, newbie director + hit-and-miss studio. While this one beats Girlish Number for me with its more interesting promo art, futuristic setting and much better name, I've got UtaPri for my idol fix this season, and need no other.

Kaitou Joker 4

Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Mystery
    Animation Studio: Shin-Ei Animation
    Seiyuu:
    Director: Yukiyo Teramoto (Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru, Kaitou Joker)

Fourth season of Kaitou Joker
    I'm glad to see this franchise is still doing well! I really enjoyed the first two series, but the format does get a little repetitive after a while, so I skipped the third. I'll be holding off on this one too, but no doubt I'll come back to them someday.

Keijo!!!!!!!!

Genre: Ecchi, Shounen, Sports
    Animation Studio: Xebec
    Seiyuu: Lynn, Mao, Hondo Kaede
    Director: Takahashi Hideya (Pocket Monsters: The Origin)

Kaminashi Nozomi (17) is an exceptional gymnast. So much so that colleges with some of the best gymnastic programs are trying to recruit her. Unfortunately for them, she has other plans. Due to her family being extremely poor, money is everything to her. That's why she wants to step into the world of "Keijo." "Keijo" is a type of gambling sport where girls stand on a small floating platform and compete against one another. The aim is to push the other contestant off of the platform into the water, but they are only allowed to use their butt or breasts to push the others off. Will Nozomi be able to compete in the intense world of "Keijo" and bring wealth and fortune for her family?
    The synopsis says it all, really – if you want to see a talented seventeen-year-old gymnast give up on a promising career in order to slap other women in the face with her breasts and backside for money, this is the series for you!!!!!!!! Any less than eight exclamation marks wouldn't do it justice.

...this is the only non-sequel series of the season that I definitely won't be keeping on, but as ever I'll sample the first episode, so check back in a few weeks for my thoughts on it~

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2

Genre: Action, Mecha, Sci-Fi
    Seiyuu: Kawanishi Kengo, Hosoya Yoshimasa, Kanemoto Hisako
    Director: Nagai Tatsuyuki (Idol Master Xenoglossia, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun)

Second season of Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans.
    If I had to pick which sequel I'm looking forward to most this season, then I think Iron-Blooded Orphans just about beats Ajin. It has some of the best characters I've seen in anime in a long time, and isn't afraid of killing them off either. Action and music were also fantastic. This should be a good season.

Long Riders!

Genre: Comedy, Slice of Life, Sports
    Animation Studio: Actas
    Seiyuu: Touyama Nao, Hikasa Youko, Ookubo Rumi
    Director: Yoshihara Tatsuya

The story follows Kurata Ami, a first year college student with no special qualities. One day she happens to notice someone riding a folding bike, immediately falls in love with it, and uses all her savings to buy one. She eventually gets introduced to the world of long-distance bicycling and road racer bikes, and she forms a cycling team called Fortuna with four other female college students from the same school. Their goal is to ride in a "brevet" or long-distance event called Fresh.
    Another cycling anime, this time an all-girl club (and university age as opposed to school!). Doesn't look terrible, but doesn't stand out much to me either, especially when it shares a season with Haikyuu!!

ReputationRep:
    Lostorage incited WIXOSS

Genre: Game, Psychological, Cards
    Animation Studio: J.C.Staff
    Seiyuu: Hashimoto Chinami, Iguchi Yuka, Hioka Natsumi
    Director: Sakurabi Katsushi (Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Flying Witch)

A new WIXOSS television series set to air Autumn 2016.
    The names of these WIXOSS series seem to get worse and worse! But that aside, I liked the first two series, and the creepy take on the card game genre. Looks like this one will have a new cast, and mostly different staff, but the (subtitled!) trailer has me hopeful that the unsettling feel of the show will be unchanged.

Luger Code 1951

Genre: Action, Fantasy, Werewolves
    Animation Studio: Studio Deen
    Japanese Airdate: Oct 22, 2016
    Seiyuu: Watanabe Keaki, Eguchi Takuya, Tadokoro Azusa
    Director: Takahashi Shin`ya

The story follows a young genius university professor who is able to learn any language. He is asked to decipher a code used in wireless communication: the Luger Code, developed by werewolves, enemies to mankind. Startled to find that he cannot decipher the code and desperate to study it, the professor embarks on a journey to capture a living werewolf to aid him.
    A great setting and premise, and werewolves are underused in anime... don't expect a full series from this though, the manga was only 3 chapters long, and the competition that the original creator entered and won said to write the story with a ~40 minute airtime in mind. Could be one long TV special, or perhaps two episodes – I'll be sure to post if/when more information is released.

Magic-kyun! Renaissance

Genre: Magic, Music, Romance
    Seiyuu: Senbongi Sayaka, Aoi Shouta, Kenn
    Director: Yamazaki Mitsue (Hakkenden: Touhou Hakken Ibun, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun)

A world where art becomes magic. In this world, people who can inspire passion with their Magic Arts are called Artistas, and are employed in show business. In Hoshinomori Private Magical Arts High School, where Artistas are taught, a strange new student named Ohana Aigasaki transfers into the school.

Ohana is placed on the planning committee for the school's yearly Hoshinomori Summer Festa cultural festival. She spends her romantic school life with six other boys who aim to become entertainers in the future. Each of the boys specializes in his own Arts, and aims to make Hoshi Fes a success. In addition, the boys also aim to be chosen alongside Ohana as the school's Artista Prince and Princess, only chosen once a year.

A Magic-kyun for you! A new renaissance starts here! Magic-kyun! Renaissance is a multimedia project where you can create great memories with Artistas of greatly varying personalities!
    Sunrise's answer to UtaPri, though with a focus on arts other than simply singing. Also magic, though how literal that is, I don't know. :p: The really long trailer which individually introduced each character was a nice touch, but I can't see myself picking up two such similar shows in one season.

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku

Genre: Action, Supernatural, Thriller
    Animation Studio: Lerche
    Seiyuu: Touyama Nao, Numakura Manami, Uchiyama Yumi
    Director: Hashimoto Hiroyuki (Gochuumon wa Usagi Desuka?, Gochuumon wa Usagi Desuka??)

The highly popular social network game "Magical Girl Raising Project" is a miraculous game that produces real Magical Girls with a chance of 1 in 10000 for each person. Girls who are lucky enough to gain the power of magic spend fulfilling days. But one day, the administration arbitrarily announces that "There are too many magical girls so they will be halved." The curtain will now be raised on the relentless and merciless survival game between 16 magical girls.
    I had to re-read the synopsis and tags to make sure I had the right series. It looks so cute! And there was nothing much in the trailer to suggest otherwise. But no, apparently this is a survival game series, and my interest has been piqued.

Monster Hunter Stories: RIDE ON

Genre: Fantasy
    Animation Studio: David Production
    Seiyuu: Tamura Mutsumi, Mao, Oosaka Ryouta
    Director: Hongou Mitsuru (Outlaw Star, Deltora Quest)

Based on Monster Hunter Stories RPG by Capcom
    I couldn't actually find a plot synopsis anywhere, so presumably it's aimed at existing fans of the game. The CGI monsters look particularly out of place and clunkily animated – maybe that's what they're like in the game, or maybe it's just a sign that David Production's main staff will continue to work on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure instead. :p:

Nanbaka

Genre: Action, Comedy, Drama
    Animation Studio: Satelight
    Seiyuu: Kakihara Tetsuya, Kobayashi Daiki, Uemura Yuuto
    Director: Takamatsu Shinji (School Rumble, Ixion Saga: Dimension Transfer)

Four men are assigned to the prison: Juugo, a man who attempted to break out of prison and ended up extending his jail time; Uno, a man who likes to gamble with women; Rokku, a man who likes to get into fights; and Niko, a man who likes anime.
    Another promising looking comedy, from a director who has delivered in that genre in the past. Colourful, energetic and a fun setting. Looks like Crunchyroll already has this one, since they provided the subtitled trailer!

Natsume Yuujinchou Go

Genre: Drama, Slice of Life, Supernatural
    Animation Studio: Shuka
    Japanese Airdate: Oct 5, 2016
    Seiyuu: Kamiya Hiroshi, Inoue Kazuhiko, Suwabe Jun`ichi
    Director: Deai Kotomi (Gin no Saji (2014), The Rolling Girls)

Fifth season of Natsume Yuujinchou
    I say this every time a new series of Natsume Yuujinchou airs, but I still haven't watched the first one. I will do, one day! But for now, in a season as full of strong series as this one, I can afford to pass on it once again.

Occultic;Nine

Genre: Mystery, Sci-Fi, Supernatural
    Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures
    Seiyuu: Kaji Yuuki, Ishikawa Kaito, Sakura Ayane
    Director: Ishiguro Kyouhei (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, Lance N` Masques)

The "paranormal science" story follows nine idiosyncratic individuals, linked by the "Choujou Kagaku Kirikiri Basara" occult summary blog run by 17-year-old second-year high school student Gamon Yuuta. Little incongruities that occur around these nine eventually lead to a larger, unimaginable event that may alter what is considered common sense in this world.
    From the creator of Steins;Gate comes something that sounds very similar, but with a focus on the occult instead of mad science. That's not a bad thing. Here's hoping it's closer to Steins;Gate than Lance N' Masques in budget and direction, though! :afraid:

Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume

Genre: Sports
    Animation Studio: Kinema Citrus
    Japanese Airdate: Oct 4, 2016
    Seiyuu: Hanamori Yumiri, Tanaka Minami, Kuwahara Yuuki
    Director: Irie Yasuhiro (Alien 9, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood)

Ever since their champion was defeated, the world of girls' junior high ping pong has been in turmoil. Koyori is the new smirking transfer student at her junior high and she's ready to shake up girls' ping pong.
    Yet another all-girl club sport anime – as with Long Riders!, there's nothing much to say about this based on the currently available info, good or bad, but it'll take a VERY good introductory episode to make me go for this instead of/alongside Haikyuu!!

Show By Rock!! #

Genre: Comedy, Music
    Animation Studio: Bones
    Seiyuu: Inagawa Eri, Numakura Manami, Uesaka Sumire
    Director: Ikezoe Takahiro (Slap Up Party: Arad Senki, Ozuma)

Season 2 of Show By Rock!!
    Going back to earlier comments on my most anticipated sequel of the season... though Show By Rock!!'s first series was no masterpiece, the fact that I own keyrings of eight main characters, am currently working on cosplaying one of them, and voted for the bands daily in the Sanrio character polls for two years running suggests that this might be a more accurate answer. :ahee:

Shuumatsu no Izetta

Genre: Action, Historical, Military
    Animation Studio: Ajia-Do
    Seiyuu: Akaneya Himika, Hayami Saori, Uchida Aya
    Director: Fujimori Masaya (Gekijouban Fairy Tail: Houou no Miko, Tribe Cool Crew)

If I am promised to the princess, then I will fight for her sake.

In 1939 C.E., the imperialist nation of Germania invaded a neighboring country. All at once, that war spread throughout Europe, and the era was dragged into a spiral of a great war.

Then, in 1940, Germania's attack turned towards the Principality of Elystadt, a small Alps country abundant with beautiful water and greenery.
    Unusual to see Ajia-Do produce a TV anime, I always associate them with OVAs. Anyway, there's not a lot of info out for this original story – this was the longest synopsis I could find, the rest were one sentence long! My kind of genre tags though, so I'm optimistic.

Soushin Shoujo Matoi

Genre: Magic, Supernatural
    Animation Studio: White Fox
    Seiyuu: Suwa Ayaka, Tomatsu Haruka, Oozora Naomi
    Director: Sakoi Masayuki (Needless, Strawberry Panic)

There are two girls who are in training to become Miko at the Tema Shrine: Matoi Sumeragi and Yuma Kusanagi. Matoi Sumeragi lived with her grandparents on her father's side because her mother left her since she was young, until the second year of junior high school when she finally was able to live with her father since three months ago. Matoi yearns to live a simple life. Yuma Kusanagi is the daughter of a family who lives at the shrine and is expected to become the next Miko. She knows that her ancestor used Taimakou, a technique to exorcise evil spirits and invites Matoi to challenge the ritual called Kamikagari using the skill of Taimakou.

One day after school on the way to the shrine, the two girls go to meet Yuma's parents, but discover that they have fallen in pain. Shingo, who is Matoi's father, and a police officer involved in investigating the case, discover a man giving off an unusual aura. To stop this man, Yuma calls out Kamikagari, but something happens to Matoi.

The girl who yearns for a simple life has a power to exorcise evil spirits? In order to get her simple life back, she goes on a task to exorcise evil spirits.
    There's definite potential for this magical girl show to take a dark turn... but does every magical girl show post-Madoka Magica have to do that? Meh, I could be reading too much into it. Regardless, the survival-game one sounds more interesting to me than this anime original effort, based on the info available so far.

Stella no Mahou

Genre: Comedy, School, Slice of Life
    Animation Studio: Silver Link
    Seiyuu: Naganawa Maria, Yuuki Aoi, Murakawa Rie
    Director: Kawatsura Shin`ya (Kokoro Connect, Non Non Biyori)

The story follows Tamaki Honda, a first-year high school girl who joins a somewhat peculiar "SNS-Bu" circle that makes doujin video games.
    I've watched a couple of anime about game making this year, and didn't find either that thrilling. Going by the trailer and bare-bones synopsis, there's nothing here that promises Stella no Mahou will be any better.

Tiger Mask W

Genre: Action, Drama, Sports
    Animation Studio: Toei Animation
    Seiyuu: Yashiro Taku, Umehara Yuuichirou, Morita Masakazu
    Director:

Two young wrestlers face each other in a recently revived underground wrestling organization, the Tiger's Lair, which destroyed the wrestling dojo they grew up in. One took over the training facilities of Naoto Date at the foot of Mount Fuji, as well as the mask he left behind. The other dared to enter the Tiger's Lair and won a fierce competition, receiving a jet-black tiger mask. One tiger walks the path of light, while the other walks the path of shadows. Neither one knows the other's face. On the ring, they are natural enemies, but they have the same purpose—destroy the Tiger's Lair!
    Toei are rebooting a true classic of theirs – the first Tiger Mask anime aired in 1969! And apparently they're going to mix in some traditional cell animation along with the current 2D and 3D CGI styles. I'm eager to check it out, though whether or not it'll be my kind of series remains to be seen.

Time Bokan 24

Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Mecha
    Animation Studio: Tatsunoko Production
    Seiyuu: Wakayama Akihisa, Kitou Akari, Kitamura Eri
    Director: Inagaki Takayuki (Sunabouzu, Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse)

The anime centres on Tokio, a junior high student living in the present time who is suddenly made a member of the 24th century's Space-Time Administration Bureau. Immediately, he learns that the history he has learned in the textbooks is wrong, and there is a more interesting version of history where the peerless beauty Cleopatra is actually the comic duo of Cleo and Patra, Momotarō is more of an ogre than actual ogres. Together with his teammate Karen, they use the 24 Bokan Mecha to search for the True History.
    Tatsunoko Production have also been around more or less since the beginning of anime, and are rebooting their own Time Bokan franchise from 1975. Makes a nice change from all the Yatterman remakes and reimaginings from recent years... even if the characters names, appearances and personalities seem fairly similar across the whole franchise. :p:

Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru

Genre: Fantasy
    Animation Studio: Doga Kobo
    Seiyuu: Ichiki Mitsuhiro, Masuda Toshiki, Yamashita Daiki
    Director: Naoya Takashi (Watashitachi, Luck Logic Bu!)

The year is 2205. The "historical revisionists" have begun attacks on the past in their plot to change history. The Saniwa, who have been charged with protecting history, can imbue life into objects. Strongest among these are the Touken Danshi. The story centers around their cheerful lives.
    First we have two classic reboots following each other, and now it's two that focus on finding or protecting the true history from those who would change it. I'm just doing these alphabetically, I swear! Anyway... vaguely interesting premise, boosted by the ridiculously cute character designs, this one's a contender.

Trickster: Edogawa Ranpo "Shounen Tanteidan" yori

Genre: Mystery
    Animation Studio: TMS Entertainment
    Seiyuu: Oosaka Ryouta, Yamashita Daiki, Ono Daisuke
    Director: Mukai Masahiro (Choujigen Game Neptune The Animation)

It is the 2030s. The Boy Detectives Club gathers under Kogorou Akechi, the mysterious detective. The group solves cases great and small using their unique skills. One day, a member of the club, Kensuke Hanazaki, meets the boy Yoshio Kobayashi. Kobayashi's body cannot die due to the effects of the "Unidentifiable Mist," but he yearns for death, and shirks from contact with other people. Taking an interest in him, Hanazaki invites him to join the Boy Detectives Club. Their meeting is connected to the fate tying together Kogorou Akechi, and the era's greatest villain, the Fiend With Twenty Faces.
    Edogawa Ranpo seems to be trending at the moment – in addition to his namesake in Bungou Stray Dogs, there was the very similar sounding Ranpo Kitan a few seasons back... surely Trickster can't be a worse re-imagining than that? I'm not overly sold just yet, but a decent mystery series would be a nice addition to my lineup.

Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari

Genre: Fantasy, Seinen, Slice of Life
    Animation Studio: LIDENFILMS
    Japanese Airdate: Oct 9, 2016
    Seiyuu: Nakamura Yuuichi, Kokido Shiho, Makino Yui
    Director: Ibata Yoshihide (Ashiaraiyashiki no Juunin-tachi., Shingeki! Kyojin Chuugakkou)

Souta Tawara is a web designer working in Tokyo. When he visits his family's Udon place in his hometown Kagawa Prefecture, he discovers a young boy. Upon confronting the boy, Souta soon learns his secret and decides to quit his job in order to take care of the boy, Poko. The daily adventures of the two slowly enfold as Poko energetically navigates his way through Kagawa, the "Udon Kingdom," along with Souta.
    This one doesn't have much going for it... aside from cute factor, which it has by the truckload. Since I usually favour plot and action, this may fail to make my list now, but I bet I'll end up giving in once I've actually watched an episode. :p:

Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love Legend Star

Genre: Comedy, Harem, Music
    Seiyuu: Sawashiro Miyuki, Terashima Takuma, Shimono Hiro
    Director: Furuta Takeshi (Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to The Animation)

The fourth season of Uta no☆Prince-sama.
    Ah UtaPri, my convenient, sparkly excuse for dropping every other idol and harem show this season. But after three series of virtually the same thing, do I care enough to watch a fourth series? Especially when the side character teachers are my favourites? Eh, we'll see how I feel when it airs.

ViVid Strike!

Genre: Magic
    Animation Studio: Seven Arcs
    Seiyuu: Minase Inori, Ogura Yui, Mizuhashi Kaori
    Director: Nishimura Junji (Simoun, Bakuon!!)

The tagline of the anime is "Thou shalt not be afraid, I am with you."
    ...yeah, I honestly couldn't find anything aside from that tagline to go there. I'm assuming this is a spinoff/sequel for Nanoha, the jewel in Seven Arcs' rather limited crown – If so, and if existing knowledge of the franchise is required to follow this, I won't be picking it up.

Watashi ga Motete Dousunda

Genre: Comedy, Harem, Romance
    Animation Studio: Brain's Base
    Seiyuu: Kobayashi Yuu, Ono Yuuki, Koumoto Keisuke
    Director: Ishiodori Hiroshi (Bubblegum Crash!, Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino)

Kae Serinuma is a second year high schooler and an avid fujoshi who secretly ships her classmates, Igarashi-kun and Nanashima-kun. The death of her favorite anime character causes her to become stressed—and loses weight rapidly. Now that Serinuma has become an attractive girl to her classmates, her snarky kouhai Shinomiya-kun, and her senpai Mutsumi, how is she going to deal with them ...with her constant BL-filled, fujoshi mind?!
    Okay, maybe I do have space for another harem show besides UtaPri, as this one sounds far too amazing to pass up on. I'll be amazed if we see any BL outside of our protagonist's delusions and fantasies, but those alone should prove good fun.

WWW.WORKING!!

Genre: Comedy, Slice of Life
    Seiyuu: Nakamura Yuuichi, Tomatsu Haruka
    Director: Kamakura Yumi (Working!!!)

Daisuke Higashida is a serious first-year student at Higashizaka High School. He lives a peaceful everyday life even though he is not satisfied with the family who doesn't laugh at all and makes him tired. However, his father's company goes bankrupt one day, and he can no longer afford allowances, cellphone bills, and commuter tickets. When his father orders him to take up a part-time job, Daisuke decides to work at a nearby family restaurant in order to avoid traveling 15 kilometers to school by bicycle.
    Though technically a spin-off with all-new characters as opposed to a sequel, I'll probably give this a miss since I've not watched any of the previous Working!! series, and there may still be references to them that I won't get. I'm spoiled for choice this season as it is!

Yuri!!! on Ice

Genre: Sports
    Animation Studio: MAPPA
    Seiyuu: Toyonaga Toshiyuki, Uchiyama Kouki, Suwabe Jun`ichi
    Director: Yamamoto Sayo (Michiko to Hacchin, Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna)

The show's story revolves around Yuuri Katsuki, who carried all of Japan's hopes on his shoulders to win at the Gran Prix Finale ice skating competition, but suffered a crushing defeat. He returns home to Kyushu and half feels like he wants to retire, and half feels like he wants to continue ice skating. With those mixed feelings swirling inside him, he confines himself inside his parents house. Suddenly the five-time consecutive world championship ice skater Viktor Nikiforov appears before him, and along with him is Yuri Plisetsky, a young Russian figure skater who is already defeating his seniors. Viktor and both Yuris take up the challenge on an unprecedented Gran Prix series.
    No lesbians here, I'm afraid... no women at all in fact, judging by the promo art and full voice cast! But despite that, and despite my 'NO, I ALREADY HAVE HAIKYUU!!' reaction to all other sport anime this season, part of me definitely wants to see some nicely animated figure skating, so I won't count this one out just yet.

~~~~~

All the info has been sourced from Anichart, AniDB, ANN, Youtube and MAL. First impressions and opinions are not influenced by the number of exclamation marks in the series titles. Most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    Picked up:

Bubuki Buranki: Hoshi no Kyojin

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku

Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love Legend Star

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2

Show By Rock!! #

Nanbaka

Bungou Stray Dogs 2

Bloodivores

Hibike! Euphonium 2

Flip Flappers

Drifters

Lostorage incited WIXOSS

Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru

Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou

ClassicaLoid

3-gatsu no Lion

Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari

Shuumatsu no Izetta

Yuri!!! on Ice

Dropped:

Heybot!

Time Bokan 24

WWW.WORKING!!

ViVid Strike!

Monster Hunter Stories: RIDE ON

Trickster: Edogawa Ranpo "Shounen Tanteidan" yori

Brave Witches

Magic-kyun! Renaissance

Soushin Shoujo Matoi

Watashi ga Motete Dousunda

Tiger Mask W

Girlish Number

Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume

Long Riders!

Stella no Mahou

Occultic;Nine

All Out!!

ReputationRep:
    PV added for Occultic;Nine.

ReputationRep:
    :tumble:

Trailer for Bungou Stray Dogs 2 added.

ReputationRep:
    :bump:

Trailer added for 12-Sai. Chiccha na Mune no Tokimeki.

ReputationRep:
    Director added for Bloodivores and Kaitou Joker 4. :titan:

ReputationRep:
    Japan's Charapedia poll lists Haikyuu!! as the season's most anticipated series, followed by Natsume Yuujinchou, Hibike! Euphonium, Bungou Stray Dogs and UtaPri. 3-gatsu no Lion places highest overall out of the non-sequels, at 6th.

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh a new season of Ajin. I really enjoyed the last one. Though I might hold out till the whole season is out. I am so bad at keeping up to date with new releases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JWH)
    Ooooh a new season of Ajin. I really enjoyed the last one. Though I might hold out till the whole season is out. I am so bad at keeping up to date with new releases.
    I'm the opposite, I can't wait until the series is finished. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Anime overload :headfire: I'm watching too many anime right now lol I'm finding hard to keep up. I haven't even watched most of the summer anime that came out :sigh:

AJ how do mange your time to watch all these anime? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    Anime overload :headfire: I'm watching too many anime right now lol I'm finding hard to keep up. I haven't even watched most of the summer anime that came out :sigh:

AJ how do mange your time to watch all these anime? :curious:
    I only work 3-4 days a week, and there's always evenings on top of that. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I only work 3-4 days a week, and there's always evenings on top of that. :yes:

So how many episodes do you watch in day and a week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    So how many episodes do you watch in day and a week?
    It varies hugely, but I'd say 6 on average a day, and roughly 40 a week at the moment. I'm playing catchup after several busy days earlier in the year put me behind target.

ReputationRep:
    (Heybot!) airs in less than a week - unlikely we'll see it translated, though. :giggle:
    I stand corrected - Crunchyroll have picked up Heybot, and the first episode will be released imminently. :zomg: I'm surprised, I thought the gags wouldn't translate well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the opposite, I can't wait until the series is finished. :giggle:
    I do have that temptation :P. But I find it easier to marathon things than keep up to date on them weekly. Re: Zero is the first anime I have watched weekly in probably like 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    Heybot!

Autumn gets off to an early and crazy start with Heybot!, a kids gag anime which draws on farts and nosehairs and 'screwing' (among other things) as its sources of humour. A little crude. :p: Also, Crunchyroll have made the odd decision of translating all the jokes and plays on words literally, instead of localizing them or providing translation notes, so most won't make sense unless you have a basic knowledge of Japanese - our main character Nejiru's obsession with screws being one obvious example. Not sure who their target audience is supposed to be for this. :dontknow: Still, I like its hyper, energetic feel, the character designs are fun, and the music is catchy too. I won't be keeping it on, but I'm sure there will be far worse to come this season.

ReputationRep:
    As usual I watch the season after it's aired to make sure i'm not watching any garbage. This season has no must watches for me and is purely wildcards:

Drifters
    Keijo!!!!!!!! - A bunch of friends seem to be watching this semi-seriously. I may entertain the idea and watch the first episode... maybe.
    Nanbaka - If this turns out to be like Prison School in anyway then i'm in. If not then forget it
    Shuumatsu no Izetta

ReputationRep:
    Updated the trailer for Shuumatsu no Izetta with the officially English translated one, courtesy of Crunchyroll, who will be streaming the series.

ReputationRep:
    In

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
American or British/European: what type of pancakes do you like?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.