The Student Room Group

Find the set of values of x for which (3x-1)(x+3)<0?

I know how you would do this if it was a =, but with > and < how do you work out which way round the sign goes in the final answer?
Reply 1
Original post by Sint
I know how you would do this if it was a =, but with > and < how do you work out which way round the sign goes in the final answer?

I would do a quick sketch of the graph, so when it equal 0. Then from you graph you can see which way the sign should be.
Original post by Sint

Find the critical values, by letting (3x-1)(x+3) = 0, find the values of x, x=1/3 or x=-3 and draw the graph. when it's > , you're looking for all values of x above the x axis, when it's < , it's all the points below the x axis.
You look at it graphically. You would work out the solutions which would be the same if it was = 0. Then look at the graph, the parts where the graph is above or below the x axis (depending on the > or < sign)

Hope this helps. Use desmos if you are struggling to sketch the graph.
Original post by Sint

Sketch the curve using the critical values for =0 as the points it crosses the x-axis
If a and b are those critical values then
You see clearly for <0 the values lie between the critical values a<x<b
For >0 you can see it lies outside the critical values so x<a or x>b

Posted from TSR Mobile
First solve the equations (3x-1)(x+3)=0
(So basically solve 3x-1=0 and x+3=0)
You then get the roots and as this is a positive quadratic with the U shape you can know that the quadratic will be smaller than 0 between the roots :smile: so you'll get something like X1<x<X2 where X1 and X2 are the roots.
Hope it helped!
Reply 6
Cheers everyone, I know how to do it now! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Method for the pros: notice that the two coefficients of x in the brackets are the same sign, so the a coefficient of the quadratic is positive and the parabola is "U" shaped (rather than an upside down U when a is negative), so the part between the roots must be the negative bit (as the parabola will go to +inf as x --> +/- inf.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending