The Student Room Group

M4 help!!! Rep awarded

Despite having no problem with oblique impacts, I can't seem to solve the following question.I am unable to upload any working.However, I did the usual the perpendicular components remain unchanged,use the law of restution etc , but I did set the intial velocity of sphere A as usintheta and its velocity aftr impact as v1sin(90-theta).I then tried to eliminate variables and solve for 1 in terms of lambda and e , then substituted this into the inequality lambda>1

Heres the question:
A smooth sphere,of mass m and radius a, moves on a horizontal table with speed u and collides with a smooth stationary sphere B, of mass lambdam(lambda>1) and radius a.Before impact the direction of motion of A makes an acute angle theta with the lines of centres.As a result of the impact A is deflected through a right angle.The coefficent if restution between the spheres is e
Show that e>1/lambda
Any help would be greatly appreciated
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sapereaude45
Despite having no problem with oblique impacts, I can't seem to solve the following question.I am unable to upload any working.However, I did the usual the perpendicular components remain unchanged,use the law of restution etc , but I did set the intial velocity of sphere A as usintheta and its velocity aftr impact as v1sin(90-theta).I then tried to eliminate variables and solve for 1 in terms of lambda and e , then substituted this into the inequality lambda>1

Heres the question:
A smooth sphere,of mass m and radius a, moves on a horizontal table with speed u and collides with a smooth stationary sphere B, of mass lambdam(lambda>1) and radius a.Before impact the direction of motion of A makes an acute angle theta with the lines of centres.As a result of the impact A is deflected through a right angle.The coefficent if restution between the spheres is e
Show that e>1/lambda
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Let v1,v2v_1,v_2 be the velocities of A,B respectively after impact.

In summary.

Conservation of Momentum:

Perpendicular to line of centres gives:

v1=utanθv_1 = u\tan\theta

Parallel to line of centres gives:

ucosθ=λv2\dfrac{u}{\cos\theta}=\lambda v_2

Restitution equation gives:

v2+v1sinθ=eucosθv_2+v_1\sin\theta=eu\cos\theta

Sub'ing previous into that last equation, dropping the u, gives:

1λcosθ+sin2θcosθ=ecosθ\dfrac{1}{\lambda\cos\theta}+ \dfrac{\sin^2\theta}{\cos\theta}= e\cos\theta

Multiply up, rearrange giving.

1λ=ecos2θsin2θ\dfrac{1}{\lambda}=e\cos^2\theta - \sin^2\theta

Now:

Spoiler

PS: I won't accept you can't upload any working next time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ghostwalker
Let v1,v2v_1,v_2 be the velocities of A,B respectively after impact.

In summary.

Conservation of Momentum:

Perpendicular to line of centres gives:

v1=utanθv_1 = u\tan\theta

Parallel to line of centres gives:

ucosθ=λv2\dfrac{u}{\cos\theta}=\lambda v_2

Restitution equation gives:

v2+v1sinθ=eucosθv_2+v_1\sin\theta=eu\cos\theta

Sub'ing previous into that last equation, dropping the u, gives:

1λcosθ+sin2θcosθ=ecosθ\dfrac{1}{\lambda\cos\theta}+ \dfrac{\sin^2\theta}{\cos\theta}= e\cos\theta

Multiply up, rearrange giving.

1λ=ecos2θsin2θ\dfrac{1}{\lambda}=e\cos^2\theta - \sin^2\theta

Now:

Spoiler

PS: I won't accept you can't upload any working next time.

Brilliant thanks for the help-one if the most helpful on the site.Ive confident I'll be needing your help again in the future :biggrin:
Sorry for the lack of working on my part, I did try uploading a picture howver it wouldn't show due to an error.For future reference how do I show my working in the same way you have?As I have seen others use the same format before.
Original post by Sapereaude45
For future reference how do I show my working in the same way you have?As I have seen others use the same format before.

It's call LaTex, and in one form or another is a widely used typesetting tool for mathematics, and documents in general. And used on this website by anyone serious about their maths (apart from one person I know of). It's well worth learning.

There is a maths starter guide in the "useful resources" widget, but I'll include the link just in case - see here
Original post by ghostwalker
It's call LaTex, and in one form or another is a widely used typesetting tool for mathematics, and documents in general. And used on this website by anyone serious about their maths (apart from one person I know of). It's well worth learning.

There is a maths starter guide in the "useful resources" widget, but I'll include the link just in case - see here

I'll be sure to use this in future.

Quick Reply

Latest