The Student Room Group

Do Cambridge look at your best 3 A levels if you've done 4 A2s?

I'm reapplying this year for medicine after getting my A2s, and I have A*A*AB, with the B being in geography. Would they not look at the B in geography, because if they do it's not going to do any favours for me. My UMS averages are high for the other 3 subjects, and I just missed out on an A* in maths by a few ums. How realistic is my application?
I could give my guesstimates which is just me guessing on what I think randomly

or you could ask a Cambridge admissions tutor here,

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4327946
Reply 2
Original post by Luke7456
I could give my guesstimates which is just me guessing on what I think randomly

or you could ask a Cambridge admissions tutor here,

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4327946

Thanks I'll add my question there
Reply 3
Original post by Boople
I'm reapplying this year for medicine after getting my A2s, and I have A*A*AB, with the B being in geography. Would they not look at the B in geography, because if they do it's not going to do any favours for me. My UMS averages are high for the other 3 subjects, and I just missed out on an A* in maths by a few ums. How realistic is my application?

The "best 3" thing is really only used when calculating UMS averages for "auto-pooling". However auto-pooling doesn't apply to Medicine so Best 3 is not relevant to your application. Also for medicine it would be Best 3 SUMS (i.e. sciences) so geography wouldn't apply anyway.

Also, you have A*A*A(B) which meets the typical requirements for Medicine so you will be reasonably competitive from that perspective. However note that most post A-level applicants exceed the typical requirements. But if the other aspects of your application are strong (BMAT, etc, etc) then you can still be successful.
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
The "best 3" thing is really only used when calculating UMS averages for "auto-pooling". However auto-pooling doesn't apply to Medicine so Best 3 is not relevant to your application. Also for medicine it would be Best 3 SUMS (i.e. sciences) so geography wouldn't apply anyway.

Also, you have A*A*A(B) which meets the typical requirements for Medicine so you will be reasonably competitive from that perspective. However note that most post A-level applicants exceed the typical requirements. But if the other aspects of your application are strong (BMAT, etc, etc) then you can still be successful.

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to smash the BMAT and interview!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending