The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1880
If England's XI for the first Test in Bangladesh is, as expected, as below, all eleven players will boast a first-class hundred. Amazing.

Cook, Hameed, Root, Dummett, Bairstow, Stokes, Moeen, Rashid, Woakes, Batty, Broad.

Finn probably hasn't done enough to warrant an inclusion, likewise Buttler, while Ballance was scratchy in the tour match despite going unbeaten over the two innings - with 27 then 36.
Reply 1881
A deserved win for Pakistan - Azhar definitely didn't deserve to lose that Test match - but you've got to feel for the Windies, in particular Bishoo, whose eight-for will go down in history.

That's the most competitive I have seen WI in red-ball cricket in years, but they just fell short, despite Bravo's best efforts. The hosts won by 56 runs, despite a spirited effort from Windies on the final day, with Bravo posting 87.

The Pakistani bowlers held their nerve - Shah posting a five-for - and they overcame a dogged resistance from the visitors, and wrapped up the match with 12 overs remaining.

I didn't think it would last that long when Amir bagged a first-ball wicket, with Samuels departing early before Blackwood went too. Bravo anchored the chase, though, and shared a good fifth-wicket stand with Chase before the latter was dismissed. When Bravo went for the seventh wicket, the came was pretty much over, with Riaz and Sohail using the conditions well to deliver bouncers and yorkers (the former's dismissal of Dowrich was a pleasure to see).

Bravo and Holder saw the tourists through until dinner before Amir dismissed the latter, and West Indies' last three wickets added just 26 runs as they ran out of batsmen to trouble Pakistan.
Original post by sachinisgod
LOL at Pakistan, they were thinking they were going to whitewash WI, skittled for 123. With 5 sessions to play WI only need 270 odd to win. What an embarrassment for Pak if they lose to a bad WI side... at home.

You were saying? :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1883
Cook arrives in Bangladesh after the birth of his child. No non-Asia batsman has scored more Test runs in Asia than him.
Original post by Enginerd.
You were saying? :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

you only won by 50 odd runs, nothing to jump for joy :wink:
Original post by sachinisgod
you only won by 50 odd runs, nothing to jump for joy :wink:

Typical reply, a win is a win.
Original post by Enginerd.
Typical reply, a win is a win.

no its not really a typical reply. If it was against a strong Aus, SA or England side it would have had some merit ( even if the win was by 1 run or 1 wicket). Beating this WI is no big deal, if you didnt that would be the real cause for concern.
Review: What an utterly brilliant Test match! Who'd have thought that after a mammoth 1st innings total by Paksitan, it'll be decided on the final hour of the final day! Outstanding piece of advertising for Cricket fans, the World over.

The second ever D/N Test! Azhars terrific Triple Century! Pakistan passing 500 runs! Bishoo's personal best bowling figures! Bravos stupendous persistence! His Century too! Yasirs superb catch!

I wouldn't have really have minded had Pakistan lost because it was entertaining, something which Test Cricket has lacked for a while. Any of the four results were possible on the final day which was truly nail-biting. Bring on the 2nd Test!

I'll finish of by...Younis will be back.
Reply 1888
Younis set to return for the second Test match, it has been confirmed.

Holder says no balls were a factor in the loss for WI, and he's probably right. Still, what a competitive match - in fact, the margin of victory for Pakistan in this match was the smallest for them in a Test in the UAE. The previous smallest victory in terms of runs was 71 runs against England in Dubai in 2012
reckon younis will succeed in reaching 10000 runs ?
Original post by tazza ma razza
reckon younis will succeed in reaching 10000 runs ?

I think he will. Probably 3/4 series away and I think he's earned the right to be given the time to get there.
Reply 1891
Duckett set to get the nod over Hameed, by all accounts.

All eyes will be on Cook for me, rather than his partner. He will become the leading Test cricketer for England - a remarkable feat - and it marks his 132nd consecutive red-ball match for his country. Obviously, the most important delivery - the birth of his child - has already happened.

As for his partner, Duckett's form on the tour thus far - three half-centuries in four matches - has tipped the edge towards him. And you've got to feel for Hameed, who likely won't get a chance for a while now, given the selectors' propensity for sticking with a side. I'd have actually played both, with Hameed partnering Cook at the top of the order, and Duckett fourth, instead of Ballance.

But there's probably an argument to suggest we need a quick scorer, with the best chance of getting runs towards the top of the order when the ball is fresh, and Hameed and Cook, followed by Ballance shortly after, is quite conservative. Still, you've got to wonder whether Hameed will even get a chance now on this subcontinent tour. Maybe Ballance will struggle and he'll be drafted in. After all, England face a lengthy schedule of seven Tests in 62 days.

Cook has 29 centuries and 10,599 Test runs, and there's every chance that grows considerably with such an extensive winter schedule. As if playing so many matches in such a short space of time was not hard enough, but England have hardly enjoyed adequate warm-up time (just one two-day match and one 45-overs a side game). Bangladesh's best chance, you've got to say, is their top six finding form and firing.

Cook has made it clear England will field three seamers (Stuart Broad, Chris Woakes and Ben Stokes) and three spinners (Moeen Ali, Adil Rashid and Batty). It's the latter's first Test since 2005.

Elsewhere, NZ take on India again - without a win against an elite side since March in the World T20 - and some players (Taylor, notably) enjoying a wretched series. Matt Henry is ready to return to the XI, apparently, and the hosts will welcome back Jadhav as a result of Raina's absence through injury.
Reply 1892
I would suggest both sides will be happy with that day's play - England especially, having endured a wretched start.

I think the tourists will take solace in the fact there is so much turn so early on. It's clear that, in picking Batty, Rashid and Moeen, they have picked the right side.

The latter of that trio helped England escape their impending doom after some early wickets on day one. He lived a charm life at times - overturning three LBW DRS decisions, and surviving two other reviews - and helped the tourists by posting a half-century, alongside Bairstow, who was his belligerent best and found the gaps to score freely.

Obviously, selection will come under question in the upper order. Many will suggest Duckett is the wrong choice (he isn't, for the record) but he will get time on this tour and we will see him better than today. I'm sure of that. He's too good of a red-ball cricketer - and too good a player of spin - not to come good eventually.

Less assuring, for me, is Ballance. He struggles time and time again, making the same mistakes time and time again, and he needs to come good soon. It was a shame to see him, Duckett and Cook dismissed early, but full credit to Mehedi.

He claimed figures of 5 for 64 on his first day of international cricket, sparking a brief top-order collapse to send England to 21 for 3 in the first hour of the contest.

But England will be pleased to end the day on 258 for 7, with Moeen sharing an 88-run stand with Bairstow, who was dropped on 13 before going on to post 52.

All seven wickets to fall came from the spinners, which will give Batty, Mo and Rashid hope, with Chris Woakes (36 not out) and the latter taking England to the close.
Bangladesh have this issue in Test matches, when they have the advantage, they can never seem to truly press on.

What a debut by Mehedi. I've not even heard of him as he's not been in the T20 or ODI squads but obviously has some potential.

I think Bangladesh would've taken that score at the start of the day with the number of wickets down but when you consider England were 106-5 at one point. That said, England do bat very very deep these days so not unexpected.

Just need to press on in the morning and get another wicket. The Batty and Broad should hopefully be exposed and might struggle a little more against spin.

If there is this much assistance to spin on day 1, how bad will it be on day 4 or 5?
fantastic by mehedi hassan, baboozled england whos problems against spin return, this visit to the subcontinent without the likes of pietersen and bells talent against spin looking ricky. hassan look very much like Ashwin in his style makes good use of the crease and change of loop/fight and pace inhis deliveries, pefect pitch for him, good find for the Bangas
Reply 1895
Yeah, absolute dream debut by Mehedi. Only seven Bangladesh players have managed to take a five-wicket haul on their Test debut, and only Enamul Haque Jnr has taken a five-for at a younger age than Mehedi.

I was actually quite disappointed with the Bangladesh bowling today, though. Mehedi was excellent but no one else had the discipline to bowl to a plan and to stick with it.

England can thank their lucky stars for Bairstow and Mo. That's six 50+ run partnerships for that pair this calendar year, and they needed it after such a poor start.

I felt Duckett was nervous from the off, Mehedi could have bowled him twice in his first two overs, but what's even more worrying is the fact that it was the same type of delivery - the slider - which counted for much of England's top order. Why weren't they reading it?

This surface is going to assist seam bowling on a tight wicket to wicket line as well - especially if some cutters are bowled and the bowlers use the crease. It's a shame Anderson is injured.
Original post by Mackay
Yeah, absolute dream debut by Mehedi. Only seven Bangladesh players have managed to take a five-wicket haul on their Test debut, and only Enamul Haque Jnr has taken a five-for at a younger age than Mehedi.

I was actually quite disappointed with the Bangladesh bowling today, though. Mehedi was excellent but no one else had the discipline to bowl to a plan and to stick with it.

England can thank their lucky stars for Bairstow and Mo. That's six 50+ run partnerships for that pair this calendar year, and they needed it after such a poor start.

I felt Duckett was nervous from the off, Mehedi could have bowled him twice in his first two overs, but what's even more worrying is the fact that it was the same type of delivery - the slider - which counted for much of England's top order. Why weren't they reading it?

This surface is going to assist seam bowling on a tight wicket to wicket line as well - especially if some cutters are bowled and the bowlers use the crease. It's a shame Anderson is injured.

What should they have done differently? Most of the top order got out cheaply. Moeen Ali had about 6 close calls? He got 5 reviews right and Bangladesh failed to review one decision which would've gotten him out early.

Mehedi and Shakib bowled well. Taijul Islam was very tight only conceding 28 runs from 17 overs.

Shaiful Islam did okay but nothing great. Kamrul Rabbi was also a debutante (not seen him in ODIs or T20 either) and the lack of experience probably showed.

Interesting that we've used these other youngsters but we didn't draft in Taskin Ahmed who's done well in ODIs.
Tomorrow will tell how good Bangladesh were. I think England may have got just enough for a contest.
Reply 1899

Halfway to victory!

it took them long enough, to be honest.

NZ's batsmen have failed to deliver time and time again on this tour - but, finally, one of them has a hundred. Williamson - for so long the play-thing of Ashwin - has delivered, posting a century as NZ achieve 242-9.

India won the toss (again) but Williamson rallied to anchor his side's innings. India's bowlers were poor, but I actually felt NZ were guilty of under-scoring. They posted a competitive total, but only managed one over that cost India more than six in the final 10 overs.

Corey Anderson and Luke Ronchi should have breathed life into their innings, but they were out cheaply and NZ will feel it's a chance wasted having been 158-2 at one stage.

Still, they have India four down for just 100 runs - so the victory is in their sight.

Quick Reply

Latest