The Student Room Group

C1 Homework helping

20161025_215827.jpgHow would I find the equation for l. I have part a but I need b and c.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
So you're finding the gradient of the curve at the origin, (0, 0)
You have a point, you have the gradient of the line, that's all you need to find the equation of the line \ell .
Reply 2
Original post by B_9710
So you're finding the gradient of the curve at the origin, (0, 0)
You have a point, you have the gradient of the line, that's all you need to find the equation of the line \ell .

How do I find the gradient with only one point?
If I remember correctly you differentiate twice then sub in the x co-ordiante to get the gradient of the curve at that point.
Reply 4
Original post by TheStudent19
If I remember correctly you differentiate twice then sub in the x co-ordiante to get the gradient of the curve at that point.

I know how to differentiate but this is only c1 chapters 1-5 so we havent done differentiation in core, just in FP1. Thats what confused me.
Original post by Youngey4
I know how to differentiate but this is only c1 chapters 1-5 so we havent done differentiation in core, just in FP1. Thats what confused me.

Hmm good point mate. What year paper is this? Is it edexcel?
Reply 6
Original post by TheStudent19
Hmm good point mate. What year paper is this? Is it edexcel?

Yeah its edexcel but i'm not sure what year as its just a booklet our teacher put together to do over half term
The only way I would go about doing b is to do c first. To do c you make the two equations equal and then find the co-ordinates I think.

EDIT: Just realised that you can't do that. Give me another minute :biggrin: Do you have the answers?
Reply 8
Original post by Youngey4

There is another way to do it without differentiation, although I do think that this question is designed so that you use differentiation.
You have y=x3+3x24x y=x^3+3x^2-4x and suppose we have a line through the origin y=ax y=ax . Then solving these simultaneously you get x3+3x2(4+a)x=0 x^3+3x^2-(4+a)x=0 right.
Now we know that the line is tangent to the curve at the origin.So you can write x3+3x2(4+a)x x^3+3x^2-(4+a)x in the form x2(xc) x^2(x-c) since you know that there is a repeated root at the origin - which is where the x2 x^2 comes from.
So this is an identity, x3+3x2(4+a)xx2(xc) x^3+3x^2-(4+a)x\equiv x^2(x-c) .
Should be straight forward to solve for a and c and so both parts of the question are done.
This way is similar to when you use the discriminant to find points where a line is tangent to a parabola.
In fact for this question you could use the discriminant of a cubic to get the answer but it's quite long and most people don't know it off the top of their heads I'd imagine.

Quick Reply

Latest