The Student Room Group

laziness/procastination issue in year 13

hello everyone,
hope you are well. nowadays annoyingly, i have a bit of a habit of putting off homework and revision for as long as possible & not bothering to do anything. obviously this annoys me because i am in year 13, so this must stop, and i really want to do the best i can (i kinda have to do, pressure from parents etc). does anyone have any advice? if so, please help me 🙏 thanks :smile:
Original post by emm4nuella
hello everyone,
hope you are well. nowadays annoyingly, i have a bit of a habit of putting off homework and revision for as long as possible & not bothering to do anything. obviously this annoys me because i am in year 13, so this must stop, and i really want to do the best i can (i kinda have to do, pressure from parents etc). does anyone have any advice? if so, please help me 🙏 thanks :smile:

I would start by just committing to doing 5 minutes of the homework, that's all you have to do and it makes it seem less overwhelming. You may also want to try the pomodoro method where you work for 25 minutes and have a 5 minute break and repeat that 4 times. I think the main take away from this ramble is to start off with small tasks and see if that helps.
Reply 2
Procrastination is a very difficult beast to defeat. It’s about establishing positive routines that become self sustaining. Mind you, I’ve never fully cracked it and sometimes it’s only the pressure of a now too tight deadline that gets things moving.

A few ideas. Schedule study and relaxation times with a reward if you stick to them. Choose somewhere a little inspirational to study that you have to travel to - I went to a library as part of my study routine. Envisage the happy day when the exams are over and you’ve done well thanks to your self disciple. Don’t be too hard on yourself if you have some procrastination lapses, just resolve to get back on track.
Original post by emm4nuella
hello everyone,

Firstly, take away the feelings of pressure from your parents and anybody else- your academic studies are about you and your success, not about people hopes for you. As for "laziness" and procrastination, you have already identified it needs to change, so change it and discipline yourself because nobody else will. You might see studying as pressurized an like a mandatory chore, but if you change your mindset and think your homework is something you want to do because you want the best job and make a lot of money, then you should see homework as a pathway to a better future for yourself. Hope this helps!
Are you planning to go to University? If so, that's a big motivator for sure.

I used to have this issue when I was in year 13. I was so worried about not doing well in my exams I would put revision and homework off until it had to be done. To tackle this (it might not help you, but it helped me), I would make a music playlist for yourself which involve instrumentals only! Then, I would do 30 minutes of my homework on the day it's set, and then do another 30 the next day, the next etc. until it was done and before it needed to be handed in. This helped me tremendously, and I hope the same for you.

But try not to feel too overwhelmed from your parents and everything else. What's important is your happiness, but that doesn't mean to say you shouldn't work hard. As I'm writing this, it's September (as was the time you posted this). You have months yet before you need to start properly and thoroughly revising, in which many people start revision in March. Unless you're doing an course that has a lot of information - if so, do an hour of revision note making a day, try to get as much information in your head as possible but don't worry if you don't remember much, that's what revision is for!

I'm now a happy receiver of 4 A-levels (in which I passed them all!), and planning on going to University next year (after a gap year).

I hope this can be somewhat helpful for you, emm4nuella.
Wishing you all the best for your future! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest