The Student Room Group

Homework: Share your experiences!

Poll

Homework: Share your experiences!

Question to answer in this thread:
Tell me everything you think about homework.
Is it good? Is it bad? Does it help you towards exams? Do you feel it betters your learning a lot, not much, not at all? If you had to argue for it being removed or being kept, what would you argue?

I don't really want this thread to turn into a flamewar fight, so no need to reply to other people and argue with them. I'd really like a big mix of opinions which I could use to build research from.

I'm thinking of getting my school to drop homework the way it's done currently, for a variety of reasons which I'll put in my own reply below.
I think there is a real benefit to dropping homework, and knowing my track record I probably could push the school into changing their minds on it.

No opinion's wrong I just want them all.
Thanks! :h:
Reply 1
Use this as an example if you'd like.
I think homework is mostly bad. Whilst it helps some people to consolidate their knowledge, it leads to…

People having less time to rest at home

People having less time to do active revision at home because they have homework to also complete

People expecting homework to count as revision, when it is generally ineffective

People who don't do homework for whatever reason (home situation, just don't want to) get in trouble for something which isn't something worth punishing over making them more likely to misbehave further and get in even more trouble in ways which aren't about homework. It negatively affects rapport with teachers, affecting classroom environments.

Overworked teachers spending even more time on marking, chasing up missed work and setting detentions.

Tell me more! What are your thoughts?
Reply 2
Original post by squidrangle
Use this as an example if you'd like.
I think homework is mostly bad. Whilst it helps some people to consolidate their knowledge, it leads to…

People having less time to rest at home

People having less time to do active revision at home because they have homework to also complete

People expecting homework to count as revision, when it is generally ineffective

People who don't do homework for whatever reason (home situation, just don't want to) get in trouble for something which isn't something worth punishing over making them more likely to misbehave further and get in even more trouble in ways which aren't about homework. It negatively affects rapport with teachers, affecting classroom environments.

Overworked teachers spending even more time on marking, chasing up missed work and setting detentions.

Tell me more! What are your thoughts?

I'm a teacher. Firstly, I don't buy the "I don't have much time." Hour for hour, you have more time now as students than you will ever have. Assuming you are home for 5pm and go to bed at 10pm, and giving you an hour for tea, and an hour before bed, that is still three hours per evening to say nothing of the weekends.

Secondly, homework is not for your teacher. It is for you. You are not doing homework for some greater good. You are doing it very selfishly for yourself.

Thirdly, it is clear cut - those who get the best grades put in the most effort. So sure. Don't do your homework. It is your choice after all. But that is symptomatic of a student who will not get the best marks.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Thanks so much for your thoughts -- it's very useful to have a teacher perspective!

Original post by hotpud
I'm a teacher. Firstly, I don't buy the "I don't have much time." Hour for hour, you have more time now as students than you will ever have. Assuming you are home for 5pm and go to bed at 10pm, and giving you an hour for tea, and an hour before bed, that is still three hours per evening to say nothing of the weekends.

Secondly, homework is not for your teacher. It is for you. You are not doing homework for some greater good. You are doing it very selfishly for yourself.

Thirdly, it is clear cut - those who get the best grades put in the most effort. So sure. Don't do your homework. It is your choice after all. But that is symptomatic of a student who will not get the best marks.

Good luck!
I don’t think it should be abolished all together but it should be reformed in year 10 it should be more focused on exam preparation and how to study for exams rearther than the busy work. It should be read chapter x and answer the questions at the end in preparation for a test and don’t tell the kids but the test is made up of question from the book they should have don already allow them to look through their home work book “It’s their book they will hopefully use for revision" and they can copy verbatim from that.
(edited 10 months ago)
I always have seen homeworks as a pain in my ass: either I was able to solve them in no time or I just didn't understand the intentions of the questions. It is ridiculous that they are still compulsory for every student! why do students should do them, if they already understood the lessons and were already able to solve similar questions in class? and if they did not get it, a learning effect tends to zero, if there are no people around the students able to help them and to explain the answers behind the questions clearly.

Homeworks should be a possibility for students to test their understanding voluntarily to decide for everyone him-/herself, whether it is neccessary for them to do or not. I don't mind if the teachers explain or discuss the answers of the homeworks the day after in the next lesson. But they should not blame the students for not doing them without to know the exact background.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending