The Student Room Group

Applying to UCL management courses...

I'm not sure if this is a silly question but what is the actual difference between the Management Science course and Informational Management course that UCL is offering??

Is Informational Management more to do with business or is there a lot of IT?

I'm interested in the Mathematical Foundations of Management and Business Economics topics in the Management Science course but I'm not sure.

I know the two courses are quite different but what do you think of the courses?
Reply 1
Original post by Donkey_Donkey
I'm not sure if this is a silly question but what is the actual difference between the Management Science course and Informational Management course that UCL is offering??

Is Informational Management more to do with business or is there a lot of IT?

I'm interested in the Mathematical Foundations of Management and Business Economics topics in the Management Science course but I'm not sure.

I know the two courses are quite different but what do you think of the courses?

If you read the description on the UCL website, you'll see there's a lot of IT in the Information Management for Business course. Then if you read down a bit further, you'll see that graduates go on to become IT consultants and technical analysts! So spending 2 minutes on their website will answer your questions.
Original post by Juno
If you read the description on the UCL website, you'll see there's a lot of IT in the Information Management for Business course. Then if you read down a bit further, you'll see that graduates go on to become IT consultants and technical analysts! So spending 2 minutes on their website will answer your questions.

Thanks.
I know my question is a little stupid to ask but after reading the things on the website I got really confused.
I was wondering if I should apply to the course that I'm more likely to get an offer from or the one that I prefer to do.
Reading people's comments about how some people ignore the IT side and still apply to get the UCL brand made me think that information management isn't too bad.
Management science is probably better but I'll research and think about it again.
Anyway, thanks for replying :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Donkey_Donkey
Thanks.
I know my question is a little stupid to ask but after reading the things on the website I got really confused.
I was wondering if I should apply to the course that I'm more likely to get an offer from or the one that I prefer to do.
Reading people's comments about how some people ignore the IT side and still apply to get the UCL brand made me think that information management isn't too bad.
Management science is probably better but I'll research and think about it again.
Anyway, thanks for replying :smile:

Unis are clever. They can tell from your personal statement, previous study, reference etc whether you are actually interested in the course or are just applying because you think you'll get a better offer or think you stand a better chance. It's quite common that applicants that try to play such games don't get what they want.
So you should never apply to a course you don't want to do just because you think it's easier to get into. Unis don't have to let you change subject, so you'll likely get stuck doing the wrong course for 3 years. If you don't want to do a course you'll find it very hard to stay motivated for 3 years, and you'll probably not get amazing marks so you would just be wasting the "UCL brand advantage" anyway.
Original post by Juno
Unis are clever. They can tell from your personal statement, previous study, reference etc whether you are actually interested in the course or are just applying because you think you'll get a better offer or think you stand a better chance. It's quite common that applicants that try to play such games don't get what they want.
So you should never apply to a course you don't want to do just because you think it's easier to get into. Unis don't have to let you change subject, so you'll likely get stuck doing the wrong course for 3 years. If you don't want to do a course you'll find it very hard to stay motivated for 3 years, and you'll probably not get amazing marks so you would just be wasting the "UCL brand advantage" anyway.

Yes I know that it's not the best thing to do but it's not like I'm not interested in the information management course so I'll have a think about it.
Thanks for your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending