The Student Room Group

Looking to retake GCSE Science after a couple of years.

Im in my second year at university and am aiming to become a qualified teacher, however you need a C or above science GCSE. I only got a D in a higher paper and therefore need to redo it.
Does anyone know how I go about doing this? do universities offer these courses? Or have i left it too late.
Thanks!
Reply 1
This is a hard situation to say it would have been easier to resit whilst you was at sixth form. The best thing to do is speak to your uni advisers and found out whether you able to resit there.
You should be able to sit GCSE Science at a local FE college, most colleges offer this, it would probably be at a cost but not too pricey compared to what some private institutions would charge you. You could do it as an evening class. You've probably left it too late to enrol for this year but might be worth getting in contact with your local colleges to see if they run the course and if they'd be willing to accept you on to the course at this stage. Otherwise, you could wait and start next year or self-study and book to sit the exams at a private examinations centre in the summer, which for GCSE science shouldn't be too taxing.

Good luck!
Original post by Alice_123
Im in my second year at university and am aiming to become a qualified teacher, however you need a C or above science GCSE. I only got a D in a higher paper and therefore need to redo it.
Does anyone know how I go about doing this? do universities offer these courses? Or have i left it too late.
Thanks!

i had a friend who retook her gcse science and she did it at a college but she only did core science so yeh
Reply 4
Universities don't. You will need to find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate. It's then all organised through them. I think you should be able to carry forward your controlled assessment mark and just re-sit the exams as long as you stick with your original exam board but you will need to check that. The alternative would probably have to be taking an IGCSE in a Science as they have no coursework. The entry deadline for next Summer is 21 February but centres will clsoe their books to private candidates much earlier than that so get looking before Christmas.

Quick Reply

Latest