The Student Room Group

Should I retake or focus on my access course

So I’m currently an access to He student studying physical science and engineering with modules in maths physics and chemistry and i was looking at university’s and was wondering if I needed to retake my GCSE maths I achieved a grade 4/C and for the course ( electrical engineering) that’s the minimum I would need anyways but I was wondering if having a lower Gcse grade would effect me when I’m applying or if I should retake maths whilst doing the access course and on top of that I have a part time job of 16 hours a week I’ll like to know if anyone has been in a similar situation or if it’s best to retake or just to focus on the access course and aim to achieve distinctions
Reply 1
Personally, I would retake the GCSE alongside the access course. It might be a good idea to speak to uni admissions about your current gcse grades as some universities won't accept people with lower GCSE grades.
My situation is a bit different as I retook my gcse during COVID and then completed an access to he after

It depends on which universities you're looking at applying for if you can get into a couple of universities that you're happy with then I wouldn't bother retaking any gcse
Reply 2
Original post by Rose_99
Personally, I would retake the GCSE alongside the access course. It might be a good idea to speak to uni admissions about your current gcse grades as some universities won't accept people with lower GCSE grades.
My situation is a bit different as I retook my gcse during COVID and then completed an access to he after

It depends on which universities you're looking at applying for if you can get into a couple of universities that you're happy with then I wouldn't bother retaking any gcse

Original post by Emmanuel24
So I’m currently an access to He student studying physical science and engineering with modules in maths physics and chemistry and i was looking at university’s and was wondering if I needed to retake my GCSE maths I achieved a grade 4/C and for the course ( electrical engineering) that’s the minimum I would need anyways but I was wondering if having a lower Gcse grade would effect me when I’m applying or if I should retake maths whilst doing the access course and on top of that I have a part time job of 16 hours a week I’ll like to know if anyone has been in a similar situation or if it’s best to retake or just to focus on the access course and aim to achieve distinctions

As long as you have the minimum gcse requirements you should be fine just make sure you get the grade you need in your access course
Reply 3
Original post by Rose_99

Mhm I see I tried asking universities but all they say is that they can’t offer anything until I apply through ucas either that or they say grade 4 minimum but I wanted to apply to Russel groups so I’m sure everyone who’s applying for the course has a strong maths grade and I don’t want to be disregarded but thank you for your reply I’ll look into it some more

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending