The Student Room Group

Is 8 hours a week too much for someone doing A-Levels

I just got a part time job offer at a store. I wanted to ask is 8 hours a week too much for someone doing these A levels:

Maths
Economics
Government and Politics

Please share your experiences of working a part time job in sixth form, advice and guidance.

Scroll to see replies

I'd say no more than 10. And try not to work weekdays after school. Eight seems like a good amount, I'd do around 8-10. I am also doing Government and Politics, but as you're doing three it should be fine.
As long as you can manage your time, you should be fine!
Original post by MajorFader
I just got a part time job offer at a store. I wanted to ask is 8 hours a week too much for someone doing these A levels:

Maths
Economics
Government and Politics

Please share your experiences of working a part time job in sixth form, advice and guidance.

Depends on what other calls on your time there are - do you play games after school/county? Or have music lessons, or cadets? If you do, then 8 hours might be a bit too much, particularly given your choice in A levels.
Not really. I do between 9-12 and it hasnt had any effect. Just become more efficient with your time and don't procrastinate.
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
Depends on what other calls on your time there are - do you play games after school/county? Or have music lessons, or cadets? If you do, then 8 hours might be a bit too much, particularly given your choice in A levels.

Well the shifts I would do are only on Saturdays. 8 hour long Saturdays a week.
My spare time is quite free TBH.
Well the shifts I would do are only on Saturdays. 8 hour long Saturdays a week.
My spare time is quite free TBH.

In that case, you should be able to manage it. Only you know how on top of your work you are, and how long it takes you to do the things you need to do from an academic perspective. I think probably one 8-hour shift is better than two 4-hour ones - it does leave you all Sunday to do whatever work you need to.
Reply 7
Original post by HopelessMedic
Not really. I do between 9-12 and it hasnt had any effect. Just become more efficient with your time and don't procrastinate.

Do you mind if I ask what days are you shifts and what subjects you do at a level? Do you feel the job has any impact on your school work?
Reply 8
Original post by VictoriaLucas
I'd say no more than 10. And try not to work weekdays after school. Eight seems like a good amount, I'd do around 8-10. I am also doing Government and Politics, but as you're doing three it should be fine.

Thanks, are you an A2 student? What are your other subjects?
Do you mind if I ask what days are you shifts and what subjects you do at a level? Do you feel the job has any impact on your school work?

Monday 5-9.15 and Sunday 9-15:30. During holidays i usually do some overtime if i'm free

I'm doing Maths, Chemistry and Biology a levels, and took Physics to AS level.

It doesn't have any effect imo, i just learnt to waste less time procrastinating and also i now make use of my free's which many people don't. 8 hours might seem like a lot but you'd be surprised by how much free time you actually have.
Nah loads of my friends have jobs with 8+ hours a week and are on top of work etc.

I was going to get a 15 hour a week job but thought it would be too much with 4 A Levels
Reply 11
Should be fine, I was working roughly the same hours during A levels and it didn't really affect my revision and school work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DDan123
Should be fine, I was working roughly the same hours during A levels and it didn't really affect my revision and school work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What were your subjects?

Maths
Economics
Government and Politics

8 hours a week will be fine.
Just make sure you are organised and school work is done early and you will be fine.
I worked 15-18 hours and i did fine.
(edited 7 years ago)
No, it's fine.
Original post by HopelessMedic
Monday 5-9.15 and Sunday 9-15:30. During holidays i usually do some overtime if i'm free

I'm doing Maths, Chemistry and Biology a levels, and took Physics to AS level.

It doesn't have any effect imo, i just learnt to waste less time procrastinating and also i now make use of my free's which many people don't. 8 hours might seem like a lot but you'd be surprised by how much free time you actually have.

I was the same.
sounds fine - i work 4, sometimes 8 with overtime and it doesn't affect my work at all. i think you have to ask yourself realistically how many hours you spend per week doing work outside of school - it's probably not as many as you think
Original post by Emma:-)
8 hours a week will be fine.
Just make sure you are organised and school work is done early and you will be fine.
I worked 15-18 hours and i did fine.

What did you get and what subjects?
What did you get and what subjects?

I did Sociology, geography, ICT and General studies (compulsory). I also did AS level additional maths.
My sixth form said at the start of year 12 to never do more than 8 so good job

Quick Reply

Latest