The Student Room Group

Can a C in both biology and chemistry a-level become an A in exactly 1 month?

Asking for a friend... I'll be real I'm not. Exams start a month today and I'm seriously considering withdrawing from the exams and sitting them next year (because resits aren't really an option). I've been revising for around 20 hours a week since the end of march but nothing is working I just can't seem to remember anything I revise. I don't need lectures on how i should have started revision earlier because I am fully aware. I just want to know if it has been done or if it can be done.

Scroll to see replies

hey! if I were you I'd withdraw and study better to get a better grade, I'd rather not risk getting a C if I know that if I can just put in more time and energy, I can achieve a much better grade. I know somebody who has done this, but to be honest you still need to see if it's possible to withdraw officially (though I'm sure you can since you're asking).
Reply 2
Original post by itz_lilly
hey! if I were you I'd withdraw and study better to get a better grade, I'd rather not risk getting a C if I know that if I can just put in more time and energy, I can achieve a much better grade. I know somebody who has done this, but to be honest you still need to see if it's possible to withdraw officially (though I'm sure you can since you're asking).

hi, yea I haven't asked to see whether it's possible just yet so I do need to have a chat with my head of sixth form first... eek
don't be afraid, I'm sure they'll understand!! (good luck though)
Original post by sleepystudent9
hi, yea I haven't asked to see whether it's possible just yet so I do need to have a chat with my head of sixth form first... eek
Reply 4
Asking for a friend... I'll be real I'm not. Exams start a month today and I'm seriously considering withdrawing from the exams and sitting them next year (because resits aren't really an option). I've been revising for around 20 hours a week since the end of march but nothing is working I just can't seem to remember anything I revise. I don't need lectures on how i should have started revision earlier because I am fully aware. I just want to know if it has been done or if it can be done.

You need to understand why your getting Cs, is it because of exam technique or not understanding the content. Usually people who get C's don't understand the content. I recommend watching Allery chemistry as he covers the whole specification (AQA,OCR). Try to really focus and engage yourself into the video by making links within your mind. It will help you understand and retain it a lot better if you do. You don't have time to make revision resources (flashcards, mind maps) so i recommend you do practice questions straight after understanding it. I see your hvaing issues remembering the information. I recommend you revisit topics used pre-made flashcards (physics and math tutor and quizlet have good sets, snap revise also have an amazing set but cost money). Another thing is you gotta stay optimistic, people telling you to withdraw is only going to worry and stress and doubt your capability. Someone who goes into the exam hall confident is going to do better than someone who is nervous. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed by this, there's still hope. I've seen many others go from a C to an A in a matter of weeks. You need to bump up the hours.

I recommend you try to aim to do 6-8 hours a day. if your not on study leave yet, i recommend you do 2 hours before school (6-8am) than 2 hours in free periods (whilst in school) than 2 hours after school (4-6) than 2 hours before you go to sleep (8-10). Implement pomodora technique to remain focus and productive throughout sessions. Try to find the right balance of rest and work so that your sessions are productive. I'm on study leave so i do my revision in 2 hour blocks throughout the day. Try to measure your revision sessions in productivity and not time. To elaborate, in one session you want to complete the whole of Respiration regardless of the time it takes. Don't measure your sessions by time - i've done 6 hours today but only got through half of respiration. I hope you get what i mean.

I don't think you should withdraw. Keep an optimistic mindset and you will be suprised with what you can achieve.
Reply 5
Original post by Mo123412
You need to understand why your getting Cs, is it because of exam technique or not understanding the content. Usually people who get C's don't understand the content. I recommend watching Allery chemistry as he covers the whole specification (AQA,OCR). Try to really focus and engage yourself into the video by making links within your mind. It will help you understand and retain it a lot better if you do. You don't have time to make revision resources (flashcards, mind maps) so i recommend you do practice questions straight after understanding it. I see your hvaing issues remembering the information. I recommend you revisit topics used pre-made flashcards (physics and math tutor and quizlet have good sets, snap revise also have an amazing set but cost money). Another thing is you gotta stay optimistic, people telling you to withdraw is only going to cause worry and stress and doubt your capability. Someone who goes into the exam hall confident is going to do better than someone who is nervous. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed by this, there's still hope. I've seen many others go from a C to an A in a matter of weeks. You need to bump up the hours.

I recommend you try to aim to do 6-8 hours a day. if your not on study leave yet, i recommend you do 2 hours before school (6-8am) than 2 hours in free periods (whilst in school) than 2 hours after school (4-6) than 2 hours before you go to sleep (8-10). Implement pomodora technique to remain focus and productive throughout sessions. Try to find the right balance of rest and work so that your sessions are productive. I'm on study leave so i do my revision in 2 hour blocks throughout the day. Try to measure your revision sessions in productivity and not time. To elaborate, in one session you want to complete the whole of Respiration regardless of the time it takes. Don't measure your sessions by time - i've done 6 hours today but only got through half of respiration. I hope you get what i mean.

I don't think you should withdraw. Keep an optimistic mindset and you will be suprised with what you can achieve.

* fixed a sentence
Reply 6

Also why aren't resits an option. There's no difference if you have achieved an A on the 2nd time rather than the 1st.
Reply 7
Also why aren't resits an option. There's no difference if you have achieved an A on the 2nd time rather than the 1st.

Hi, thank you so much for your advice, it was really useful and honestly quite motivating! the reason I don't want to resit is because I applied for med this year but got rejected (probably the reason why I have lacked a lot of motivation), if I am to reapply next year, some universities do not consider resits and some only accept resits if you achieved at least ABB the first time around. So, I completely get that there's no difference whether it takes me 2 attempts to get an A but the universities tend to think otherwise.
Reply 8
Hi, thank you so much for your advice, it was really useful and honestly quite motivating! the reason I don't want to resit is because I applied for med this year but got rejected (probably the reason why I have lacked a lot of motivation), if I am to reapply next year, some universities do not consider resits and some only accept resits if you achieved at least ABB the first time around. So, I completely get that there's no difference whether it takes me 2 attempts to get an A but the universities tend to think otherwise.

U can easily get ABB first time around as well as AAA. If you put in the hours from now. I understand being rejected from med is the worse but you can’t give up and u gotta persevere.
Reply 9

Heya!
Have you talked to your teachers about your situation? I would really recommend going to someone who can help in your school and having a talk with them and explaining your situation :h: You should be taking breaks and prioritising self-care to reduce stress and improve your mental well-being.

How do you usually revise for the exams? Do you do past papers and go through the mark shemes to check your answers?

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 10
U can easily get ABB first time around as well as AAA. If you put in the hours from now. I understand being rejected from med is the worse but you can’t give up and u gotta persevere.

https://youtu.be/bMmMvX12nr0 - watch this video
Reply 11
Hi, just wanted to say that your reply to this person really calmed me down about my grades, thank you and I truly wish you all the best!!
Reply 12

Just to note, they also sometimes don't accept A levels taken over 3 years instead of 2 (or they increase grade requirements if you do this), so you may be better off at least trying rather than trying to avoid resits depending on which unis you're looking at. (Not trying to worry you, just making sure you're aware now rather than later!)

e.g.
Nottingham: "Your A levels must be studied over a maximum two-year period to demonstrate your ability to manage a full academic workload. A levels that have taken longer than two years to complete are not usually accepted."
SGUL: "A Levels must be completed within one sitting across a maximum of two years."
Keele: "Applications from students currently in their third year of A-Level or equivalent study will not be considered unless (a) they have had relevant extenuating circumstances accepted by the University or (b) they have already met grade requirements and are taking one additional designated subject to meet subject requirements."
UEA: "Applicants studying A Levels over more than two years will fall under our resit policy and will be expected to achieve an A* to reflect the additional time spent studying."

Best of luck whatever you end up doing :smile:
Reply 13
I went from a D-C in bio to an A-A* in 3-4 weeks, it’s definitely possible to get those grades up! I hope your friend succeeds 👍
Original post by prankcake
I went from a D-C in bio to an A-A* in 3-4 weeks, it’s definitely possible to get those grades up! I hope your friend succeeds 👍

Please tell me how, what methods you used, I’m doing bio chem and maths, struggling atm, would rly appreciate your time
Reply 15
Original post by adrigoalevel
Please tell me how, what methods you used, I’m doing bio chem and maths, struggling atm, would rly appreciate your time

This is my routine for a full day of revision:

Wake up time = 6:30-7:00

In the morning (9:30 -> 12:00):
Look through notes, write notes addressing what went wrong on previous tests, watch videos to help understand subject matter.

Afternoon (13:30 -> 18:00):
Do past papers and Qs

Evening (19:00 -> 21:00):
Look over past papers and Qs from the afternoon and write down on post it notes specific questions from the paper that you don’t understand or topics that need going over. These post-it notes are the things I looked at every morning and made my notes from. Can also continue with light revision (like in the morning).

Sleep time = 10:30

Extra advice:
- For me, In bio, flash cards never worked and were a great waste of time. Once I stopped using them and started memorising notes everyday I remembered so much more.
- For chem, i make sure to go over reactions everyday because they are so crucial
- Pomorodro technique helps if I have a low attention span some days
- Sleep well & get ya vitamins 😎

Hope this helps!
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by prankcake
This is my routine for a full day of revision:

Wake up time = 6:30-7:00

In the morning (9:30 -> 12:00):
Look through notes, write notes addressing what went wrong on previous tests, watch videos to help understand subject matter.

Afternoon (13:30 -> 18:00):
Do past papers and Qs

Evening (19:00 -> 21:00):
Look over past papers and Qs from the afternoon and write down on post it notes specific questions from the paper that you don’t understand or topics that need going over. These post-it notes are the things I looked at every morning and made my notes from. Can also continue with light revision (like in the morning).

Sleep time = 10:30

Extra advice:
- For me, In bio, flash cards never worked and were a great waste of time. Once I stopped using them and started memorising notes everyday I remembered so much more.
- For chem, i make sure to go over reactions everyday because they are so crucial
- Pomorodro technique helps if I have a low attention span some days
- Sleep well & get ya vitamins 😎

Hope this helps!

Thank you, really appreciate your advice
First exam is in 8 days and the motivation is really starting to lack, at the complete wrong time...
First exam is in 8 days and the motivation is really starting to lack, at the complete wrong time...

Damn your exams start late, lucky you. I've had 3, and tbh same with the motivation thing for my upcoming exams lol. This is exacerbated by the fact that I think I deserve a break from those 3 exams and how much goddamn content there is to cover.
Original post by toxicgamage56
Damn your exams start late, lucky you. I've had 3, and tbh same with the motivation thing for my upcoming exams lol. This is exacerbated by the fact that I think I deserve a break from those 3 exams and how much goddamn content there is to cover.

I mean, my 3rd subject is art and the exam was the very beginning of may but it didn't really feel like an exam for me so I kind of forget it. Art exam is a walk in the park compared to the other 2. plus you do deserve a break exams are tough, but i just have to keep telling myself that it will be over soon and i know how annoyed i'll be at past me on results for chilling out so much. The weather rn isn't helping either.

Quick Reply

Latest