The Student Room Group

GCSEs and Depression and Anxiety

hi,

so.. i've had depression and anxiety for a number of years now. I am in year 11. I see CAMHS, i'm on medication, i've dropped 1 GCSE subject but...

NOTHING feels right. there is nobody in this world who actually understands. sure, people care but nobody understands me and i am soooo far behind with work. i have no friends to get help from and i just don't know what to do.

on one hand i feel like just dropping most of my GCSEs except english maths and maybe a 1-2 others but i doubt my teachers or parents will actually understand.

i just don't know what to do. i have mocks in Jan and i am screwed for them. i feel so helpless
Reply 1
Bump.......
Reply 2
slow and steady (progress) wins the race.
Reply 3
Original post by unknown1209
hi,

so.. i've had depression and anxiety for a number of years now. I am in year 11. I see CAMHS, i'm on medication, i've dropped 1 GCSE subject but...

NOTHING feels right. there is nobody in this world who actually understands. sure, people care but nobody understands me and i am soooo far behind with work. i have no friends to get help from and i just don't know what to do.

on one hand i feel like just dropping most of my GCSEs except english maths and maybe a 1-2 others but i doubt my teachers or parents will actually understand.

i just don't know what to do. i have mocks in Jan and i am screwed for them. i feel so helpless

Have you looked into DSA and support groups?
DSA can help you with school. You can ask your school or CAMHS about it. You might also like to talk to somebody in detail about your options and what would be best for you in terms of schooling. It is a difficult decision to make but it could be better for you to cut back now and allow yourself some room to improve your mental state. You can always re-take afterall. It may take longer but it can sometimes lead to better results. Worth having that talk. Maybe with camhs or your school migt have some sort of guidance counselor.
I know what you're getting at with people not understanding. It's really difficult going through something when nobody else seems to know how you feel. Honestly fo me I think one of the biggest helps was going to group therapy and feeling less crazy and alone. It was rather awkward to start with, but the peoplel there understood me and it was such a supportive environment. I'm not sure quite what options you have given your age and all, but you can ask camhs and your doctor about it.

You might also find it helpful to do some reading and look around for other people's experiences. Mind.org and sane.org are a good start point but youtube can also be good, just be wary that there are some stupid videos out there and know when to ignore dumb advice. TSR also has a mental healt support society. The people on there are realy lovely and can probably relate rather well to your situation. It's got a pink title so it's hard to miss. :smile:

Unfortionately all I can really say other than that is that it does get better. You may not be able to believe that right now, but just trust me. It is a difficult road and you may need to make some tough choices, but you are not alone and there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Kindred
Have you looked into DSA and support groups?
DSA can help you with school. You can ask your school or CAMHS about it. You might also like to talk to somebody in detail about your options and what would be best for you in terms of schooling. It is a difficult decision to make but it could be better for you to cut back now and allow yourself some room to improve your mental state. You can always re-take afterall. It may take longer but it can sometimes lead to better results. Worth having that talk. Maybe with camhs or your school migt have some sort of guidance counselor.
I know what you're getting at with people not understanding. It's really difficult going through something when nobody else seems to know how you feel. Honestly fo me I think one of the biggest helps was going to group therapy and feeling less crazy and alone. It was rather awkward to start with, but the peoplel there understood me and it was such a supportive environment. I'm not sure quite what options you have given your age and all, but you can ask camhs and your doctor about it.

You might also find it helpful to do some reading and look around for other people's experiences. Mind.org and sane.org are a good start point but youtube can also be good, just be wary that there are some stupid videos out there and know when to ignore dumb advice. TSR also has a mental healt support society. The people on there are realy lovely and can probably relate rather well to your situation. It's got a pink title so it's hard to miss. :smile:

Unfortionately all I can really say other than that is that it does get better. You may not be able to believe that right now, but just trust me. It is a difficult road and you may need to make some tough choices, but you are not alone and there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

DSA is only for university students. The OP is studying for GCSEs. :frown:
Reply 5
Yeah. Gcses. Everything is just so overwhelming. I don't feel anything helps and it's just so confusing. How can I go on like this? Like wow :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Airmed
DSA is only for university students. The OP is studying for GCSEs. :frown:

Really? I though peolpe could get it in college too at least? Guess it's simmilar stuff but a different name since DSA has the extra financial aspect aimed at uni. Good to know. :colondollar:

Either way OP you can still get help with school. Just talk to your school about it and they will tell you what you can do. Sounds like you've already had some of that discussion already though if you've dropped a GCSE.
Reply 7
Original post by Kindred
Really? I though peolpe could get it in college too at least? Guess it's simmilar stuff but a different name since DSA has the extra financial aspect aimed at uni. Good to know. :colondollar:

Either way OP you can still get help with school. Just talk to your school about it and they will tell you what you can do. Sounds like you've already had some of that discussion already though if you've dropped a GCSE.

DSA is a thing for student finance. So if you go to college and you have to pay, I guess you can get it then. Just not at school with GCSEs and A Levels.

Quick Reply

Latest