The Student Room Group

UKMT Senior Individual Maths Challenge 2016 - Preparation and Tips

Scroll to see replies

Is it reasonable to think that with 91, I might scrape into the Kangaroo?
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
Is it reasonable to think that with 91, I might scrape into the Kangaroo?

Last year was 86 for Kangaroo so i'd think we (i got 92) have a good chance :smile:
How long does it normally take them to release thresholds?
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths

i have a feeling its 3 weeks
What do you guys think the mark boundaries for the Kangaroo will be ? Last year was 86...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you think 105 is enough for the BMO1?
Original post by XxXmlgmath420XxX
Did you guys find the smc to be harder than last year? From looking at the mark scheme I recon I got 103 marks so thats cutting it pretty close. Do you think I got in to bmo1?

I think probably same as last year
Original post by Lucas.Kaiser
Do you think 105 is enough for the BMO1?

Most likely, the boundary's never been that high before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got either 73, 77 or 81 lmao.
I'm not sure whether I rubbed out my answers properly :frown:.

Missed out Q3 and Q6 and got 6 guesses wrong.
This happens Everytime, but idk why I do it tbh this time I couldn't even do the first 10 Qs so I got so angry and just went guessing answers lol.

I wish I could've got them right could've got max 94 which is kangaroo! Ah well :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SushiBunny
Most likely, the boundary's never been that high before

Posted from TSR Mobile

But they keep going up every year, I don't know how high they'll keep going to
Any guesses for the thresholds overall?
I hope that they are around 3 points lower than last year's, as I think I got 79, whilst Gold last year was 82. Thoughts?
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths

I think it's sometime before the end of November, as that's when they send results to school, but I think they say they can return results earlier if they have a certified email.

I'm not certain, though...
Original post by Gogregg
I think it's sometime before the end of November, as that's when they send results to school, but I think they say they can return results earlier if they have a certified email.

I'm not certain, though...

has to be pretty soon BMO1 is on 2 December
Original post by Lucas.Kaiser
But they keep going up every year, I don't know how high they'll keep going to

True, maybe this happens because more people do the smc every year? I'm not very good at judging the difficulty, but I did find some of the questions this year trickier than last year, so I guessed that the boundary wouldn't go up again.
Do you think I can get silver with 65?
Original post by Tuffyandtab
Do you think I can get silver with 65?

Last year silver was 65. And many people are saying that it's harder than normal. So I'd say yes, but 70-30.
Original post by sqrt(e/m)=c
Last year silver was 65. And many people are saying that it's harder than normal. So I'd say yes, but 70-30.

Thanks. I might just being dumb, but what do you mean by 70-30?
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Omfg yay! When will you be applying?? Im applying for 2018 entry :smile:

Oh wow! I'm the exact opposite. I tend to get 100% in AS maths modules/GCSE maths but don't do as well as I hope in maths challenges. Probably got a bronze or a silver this year but not sure!
And oh ok! So you are retaking yr 13 again or doing a gap year?

I've never done these challenges and honestly hate my school for not letting us do it! It would've helped a lot in the long run as it's really good for applying maths knowledge to questions you don't really see on A Level papers!
Haha my strict parents just want me to do medicine so hopefully I'm not living on the streets next year when I told them I've applied for maths and not medicine!
Yes that's true! Many students apply with no certificates or even no experience with it and get in, however, I've been told countless times not to apply to Trinity College if I can't get a gold at least in this and go to the BMOs lol!

That's really incredible tbh. I've noticed people who are amazing at GCSE maths and AS/A2 maths based on the syllabus are not so good at these kind of challenges.
My friend got a B at GCSE maths but ended up at the BMOs whereas my friend who is amazing at school maths barely scraped a bronze!

Keep in touch! And hopefully we'll see each other in Trinity college in 2 years time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am applying for 2017 entry. The way my school does it is that we take 6 modules in the first year (maths A level), then 6 in the second (further maths A level). I am currently in my final year, and am working a lot harder than last year xd

I myself got a C in C3 and a B in C4 at the end of last year, yet my friend who got 100 UMS in C4 and 78 in C3 typically scores about 70 lower than me in these challenges. It's very different types of maths. Someone else in my year (the only other person in F maths class for Y13) got a U in C4 last year, yet is applying for Nat Sciences at Cambridge, and usually does (quite) well in these challenges - and I believe he has a very good chance of getting into Cambridge.

If you get a chance, do some past papers before it next year (if you do it). Some people find this very helpful. But going to things like Maths lectures and event days should be just as good, if not more so, than this maths challenge stuff, as they show interest rather than just talent/practise/teaching quality etc.

Tbh I'd be delighted with any Cambridge college (if you don't know, when you apply for maths you get allocated to another college, and get an interview there too. So if you don't get into your first choice, you may still get an offer from another college - and even if you get into neither, you can be 'pooled' and get an offer from yet another college!), but I pray xd...but first I need to get an interview (news should be through in a few days). Roughly 4 in 5 get an interview, and if you have solid GCSE results you should probably be fine - then even if you're unlucky, you may well get accepted somewhere else. (At open day, the guide said the only way you won't get an interview is essentially if you're applying 'as a joke' or with no hope of getting in, or if you are from far abroad and it looks like you are unlikely to get in anyway, so you get saved the journey).

Whatever happens, good luck!
Original post by Tuffyandtab
Thanks. I might just being dumb, but what do you mean by 70-30?

I believe he is saying that there is a 70% chance that he correct in the grade boundaries being lower than last year.
Original post by tryeeme
I believe he is saying that there is a 70% chance that he correct in the grade boundaries being lower than last year.

Yes. I was unclear. The chance of you getting silver is 95% or so, The chance of the boundaries decreasing is 70% (I hope they do!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending