The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sharoné
Hello pals, I'm more of a lurker here but I need your advice. I'm applying to university during these upcoming months and I wanted to ask - should I mention my depression anywhere besides the little space for disabilities on the UCAS application? Like should my referee mention it, should I briefly mention it in my personal statement? My mental health struggles have definitely impacted my grades (they're okay ish enough to get into a half decent uni I guess. hopefully). I'm really clueless here, so any help would be dearly appreciated! I figured you guys ought to know something about this.

If your school can verify your depression independent of you (i.e. you have supporting evidence form a dr and have passed this on to them) and your depression impacted on your grades, then imho it should def be mentioned briefly in your reference. I wouldn't draw attention to it in your PS -it's so hard to fit in everything as it is without losing an extra line or two :eek:
I have some good news for once, due to my anxiety issues and problems with neighbours and the house in need of repair I have been offered a council flat.

Shocked it only took about 6 weeks! Only thing I am anxious about now is I don't have a move in date, and its close to Christmas and I may have to buy own carpet and blinds (have all the rest of furniture)
Original post by drbluebox
I have some good news for once, due to my anxiety issues and problems with neighbours and the house in need of repair I have been offered a council flat.

Shocked it only took about 6 weeks! Only thing I am anxious about now is I don't have a move in date, and its close to Christmas and I may have to buy own carpet and blinds (have all the rest of furniture)

Yeyyyy thats super quick!
Try not to worry too much about stuff, i moved into my flat in july and still only have a poorly fitted carpet in my bedroom nowhere else (its one a collegue of my mums happened to not need anymore)
And my curtains are just hooked up to my bedroom windows using like cup holder hooks, they arnt permenant sollutions but they work until i can get money to do my flat up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chelseadagg3r
:hugs: Please make sure you're safe. You deserve it as much as anyone else, and you work harder and through more than most as well. Is your wife around, or anyone else you can talk to? Maybe you can ring one of your team? I'm not too sure who you're involved with, I'm sorry. Honestly, you're still pushing and I think you did really well on that test as well so congrats with that. That's something to be proud of. The way you still had time for me the other night as well and how supportive you were was amazing. You're a real credit to yourself. Don't let the voices control you :console:

Thank you Chelsea. :colondollar: I'm sort of safe, My wife is at home but I was planning on taking a bath but well...it's a bathroom so there are certain things there. So maybe I'll skip the bath. I don't want to or think I will do anything, I just am getting to the end of my tether with these ****ing voices. They've ruined all my dreams and now I'm lost with what I want/can do. I have no direction. My wife keeps saying that if I fail my anatomy class it's no big deal because I can do it again in the spring. But really, I don't want to take it 4 times and I don't know how to tell her that. Everytime I even hint at it she gets annoyed and questions me about what I can do other than work in mcdonald's and I have no answer to that. :sad:

No college for you tomorrow, right? (and no problem the other night :smile:
Original post by Elleee1234
Hugs to you tonight saber <3 i know i haven't experienced this but i know how it makes you feel when someone is speaking about you meaningfully its horrible
Don't let them voices control you
Speak to your wife or someone close to you who is supportive to you <3

My wife isn't the best person to speak to about them. She keeps telling me I should be used to them by now and I'm stupid for hiding and crying as she doesn't think they're real. I went to the uni counseling service for someone to talk to and she said she was in over her head so referred me to this other non-university connected guy who I saw today and he seems great but otherwise I'm pretty low on actual RL support. :frown:
Original post by Elleee1234
i get extra support in my maths because i asked for it like that in september because at the end of year 11 i wasnt really having that much support and i dont want loads of support because i don't want to become dependent on it

Peroids are the worst straight up i get the most painful cramps i cant even walk sometimes

You'll see him soon he has to spend time with everyone :smile: x

But if it helps you it may be worth looking into. Maybe go see what the disability services say :smile:

Yup, iv been put on naproxen now for pain relief as it gets so bad

Spoiler

Yeah spend tuesday with him, and think things are back to normal next week. He always cheers me up. Even the day my ex fience broke up with me and i was a blubbery mess i facetimed my sister and my nephew had me smiling and laughing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm really not coping with nights. :cry2:
So I'm currently inaptient and just did a recovery group where we given an outline drawing of a person and asked to reflect on ourselves and our strengths.

One person coloured the person in blue. One person said they felt ok to every question and I wrote that I am a motivated person who doesn't give up despite advercity, which is why I'm currently writing essays for my masters program and applying for PhDs from hospital. I really don't fit in here :frown:

Edit: oh and one guy just drew a penis on his :rofl:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PandaWho
But if it helps you it may be worth looking into. Maybe go see what the disability services say :smile:

Yup, iv been put on naproxen now for pain relief as it gets so bad

Spoiler

Yeah spend tuesday with him, and think things are back to normal next week. He always cheers me up. Even the day my ex fience broke up with me and i was a blubbery mess i facetimed my sister and my nephew had me smiling and laughing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah i might speak to my mum about it first and see what she says and i havent been prescribed anything its not as bad and thats good i love kids they always put a smile on your face
Anyone got any experience with schema therapy? Just back from visiting the CPN and she said she thinks that will be the type of intensive therapy I get after I finish my work with her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sabertooth
Thank you Chelsea. :colondollar: I'm sort of safe, My wife is at home but I was planning on taking a bath but well...it's a bathroom so there are certain things there. So maybe I'll skip the bath. I don't want to or think I will do anything, I just am getting to the end of my tether with these ****ing voices. They've ruined all my dreams and now I'm lost with what I want/can do. I have no direction. My wife keeps saying that if I fail my anatomy class it's no big deal because I can do it again in the spring. But really, I don't want to take it 4 times and I don't know how to tell her that. Everytime I even hint at it she gets annoyed and questions me about what I can do other than work in mcdonald's and I have no answer to that. :sad:

No college for you tomorrow, right? (and no problem the other night :smile:

Sorry I've replied so late. I hope you ended up sleeping okay :hugs: If you don't want to take it a 4th time, you don't have to. You've still got a decent amount of time to figure things out, so don't feel too rushed. I hope you find some answers :frown: Maybe your new guy could be of help?

Nah, no college today. I'm only in Mon-Wed thankfully
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Sorry I've replied so late. I hope you ended up sleeping okay :hugs: If you don't want to take it a 4th time, you don't have to. You've still got a decent amount of time to figure things out, so don't feel too rushed. I hope you find some answers :frown: Maybe your new guy could be of help?

Nah, no college today. I'm only in Mon-Wed thankfully

Don't worry about my sleep; 1000mg of seroquel would probably knock out an elephant. :tongue:

That's the bit I'm doubting. I know if I fail my wife is just gonna make me redo it. I'm just not sure that I'm in the correct mental place right now. Though I am getting on a bit in years so I definitely need to work out some kind of plan. But I don't know; the voices have destroyed so much and it seems like there's no paths left.

And yeah, the guy I'm seeing questioned me quite a lot about uni etc and said it's something we can discuss so I'm hoping I get somewhere with him.

Ergh...sorry for the ramble. :colondollar:

I hope stuff got worked out with your brother. That sounds like a really challenging and scary situation to be in. :hugs:
Original post by Noodlzzz
So I'm currently inaptient and just did a recovery group where we given an outline drawing of a person and asked to reflect on ourselves and our strengths.

One person coloured the person in blue. One person said they felt ok to every question and I wrote that I am a motivated person who doesn't give up despite advercity, which is why I'm currently writing essays for my masters program and applying for PhDs from hospital. I really don't fit in here :frown:

Edit: oh and one guy just drew a penis on his :rofl:

Omfg :laugh: Yeah, when I was in hospital I hated the group therapy stuff. Felt so beneath me.
Original post by Sabertooth
Don't worry about my sleep; 1000mg of seroquel would probably knock out an elephant. :tongue:

That's the bit I'm doubting. I know if I fail my wife is just gonna make me redo it. I'm just not sure that I'm in the correct mental place right now. Though I am getting on a bit in years so I definitely need to work out some kind of plan. But I don't know; the voices have destroyed so much and it seems like there's no paths left.

And yeah, the guy I'm seeing questioned me quite a lot about uni etc and said it's something we can discuss so I'm hoping I get somewhere with him.

Ergh...sorry for the ramble. :colondollar:

I hope stuff got worked out with your brother. That sounds like a really challenging and scary situation to be in. :hugs:

Haha, that sounds like a lot. At least you slept :laugh:

I hope the guy you're seeing can help you out a bit with your uni situation. The only thing that helped me when I was in that kind of position was taking a year out before revisiting, which in my experience definitely helped, but we're in different situations so it may well not be an option for you :s

That sounds good though. I hope he really helps you

No apology needed. You had all the reason in the world to rant a little :biggrin: :laugh:

Kinda, I think. Fingers crossed :laugh: He got sectioned yesterday, but is still at home lol. They just got him a bed on a PICU he's been at before, and should be going tonight. Here's hoping they can help!

Massive hugs :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
No point.
It's simple biology. I can't ever succeed because I do not have the necessary assets of looks, strength, height, ambition, confidence, etc.
But I have to keep going because otherwise other people will be sad, to say the least.
CPN wants me to be assessed for therapy. He was angry about how I was treated while he was gone. Which is something positive.
I'm tired of lashing out at everyone I love even though I try so hard not to. I don't know what I'm still doing wrong. *sigh*
Original post by Anonymous
I'm tired of lashing out at everyone I love even though I try so hard not to. I don't know what I'm still doing wrong. *sigh*

didn't mean to be anon
Ok long story short, I'm at uni and have been talking to family members about how I've been feeling for the last month or so and they are urging me to see a GP because they think I am clinically depressed.

I don't know quite what to say to the GP however, does anyone have any tips? Like how do I bring it up? Should I just talk about the physical symptoms or....?
The ambulance just turned up, along with a (I think) social worker who was super nice, and they're on their way down to Manchester with my brother. He's happy for it all to be sorted now. The guy (queried social worker) has been working non-stop or about 25 hours trying to secure him a bed, so it's really nice to hear that someone is trying so desperately hard for him. I'm supposed to be going to a uni open day tomorrow, but it's quite a long drive and I'm worried about being exhausted. It's been such a long and incredibly difficult few weeks for me, especially this week, and I just want to rest and maybe go shopping for an hour or something to get out of the house without exhausting myself. I already know it's gonna be my first choice uni, so I'm not too worried about missing it, but my mum won't have it at all. I don't even want to bring up not going, because she'll just yell and make me go anyway :sigh:

Lol edit: I was wrong, she was fine with it. I told her it was like I could finally breathe and I didn't want to spend my first day of that in pain, exhausted for two weeks afterwards, wandering nervously around somewhere I already knew I wanted to study and she got it. Looking back, our relationship is so much better since I took my year out of college and then went back. I think I might be sleeping almost happily tonight
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest