The Student Room Group

can i do A-level chemistry?

All my local colleges say I need GCSE Grade A* B in chemistry and another science or BB or above in GCSE core and additional science but I'm not sure what it means by 'another science'
I take core science, maths, English lit and lan, psychology, history, business and french will any of them class as another science?
Original post by AliceGeorgia
All my local colleges say I need GCSE Grade A* B in chemistry and another science or BB or above in GCSE core and additional science but I'm not sure what it means by 'another science'
I take core science, maths, English lit and lan, psychology, history, business and french will any of them class as another science?

They are possibly referring to you taking Triple Science, therefore having a qualification in all 3 sciences. Biology, Chemistry and Physics. As you do core science, which means you only get 1 science qualification, you will be at a disadvantage, some colleges may not let you do this course, unless obviously you get an A* in core science. The reason for this is that Chemistry is one of the hardest A levels and therefore you need at least A*-B in either both additional and core, or two separate sciences to do it. I have friends who got AAA in all three sciences, and an A in maths and find chemistry challenging but you're certainly at a disadvantage hence why the requirements are as stated. However, I am sure if you get an A* at core science and a high grade in maths (A*/A) you could ask them to let you do it. However, consider ringing them up to ask if you can do this course.
Reply 2
Original post by AliceGeorgia

If you take triple science that basically could mean a B in Chemistry and lets say Physics or a B in Chemistry and Biology. However, if your doing the double award then you will need a B in Core science and a B in additional science to be able to take Chemistry A-Level.
Original post by rosie.mn
They are possibly referring to you taking Triple Science, therefore having a qualification in all 3 sciences. Biology, Chemistry and Physics. As you do core science, which means you only get 1 science qualification, you will be at a disadvantage, some colleges may not let you do this course, unless obviously you get an A* in core science. The reason for this is that Chemistry is one of the hardest A levels and therefore you need at least A*-B in either both additional and core, or two separate sciences to do it. I have friends who got AAA in all three sciences, and an A in maths and find chemistry challenging but you're certainly at a disadvantage hence why the requirements are as stated. However, I am sure if you get an A* at core science and a high grade in maths (A*/A) you could ask them to let you do it. However, consider ringing them up to ask if you can do this course.

What you have said is very subjective..
I went in with the wrong mind-set into AS level chemistry, but it's easier than people claim how difficult it it.

OP, what the quoted user said is true :tongue:
You need an A* to B in majority of Sixth forms to actually go.
Original post by Bulletzone
What you have said is very subjective..
I went in with the wrong mind-set into AS level chemistry, but it's easier than people claim how difficult it it.

OP, what the quoted user said is true :tongue:
You need an A* to B in majority of Sixth forms to actually go.

Of course, I know it is subjective. The concept of difficulty isn't concrete, however speaking from my experience with people I know, they find chemistry to be the hardest for them. It has been branded a difficult subject, all the sciences are. So I am not wrong in saying it is hard, as it is credited as being a challenging subject. That is not to say some people will find it easy. Also, I know this... She was referring to the specific grades to do Chemistry, not to get in. It's a given you need certain grades to go to 6th forms, considering I go to one, and got into one, I have had experience of this... But that wasn't what she was referring to. I was merely stating to them that if they hadn't done additional or triple science, it means the transition would be harder, hence why the college has these requirements.
Of course, I know it is subjective. The concept of difficulty isn't concrete, however speaking from my experience with people I know, they find chemistry to be the hardest for them. It has been branded a difficult subject, all the sciences are. So I am not wrong in saying it is hard, as it is credited as being a challenging subject. That is not to say some people will find it easy. Also, I know this... She was referring to the specific grades to do Chemistry, not to get in. It's a given you need certain grades to go to 6th forms, considering I go to one, and got into one, I have had experience of this... But that wasn't what she was referring to. I was merely stating to them that if they hadn't done additional or triple science, it means the transition would be harder, hence why the college has these requirements.

Oh right :biggrin:
Yeah what rosie.mm said.

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest