The Student Room Group

Would a degree count as a sustained academic endeavour? :/

Hi there,
I am a current biochemistry student at university who will be applying to A100 (yes A100 not A101 :colondollar:) medicine in the near future but I am preparing for the worst just in case. In the event where I do not get accepted in my first application cycle (during my third year at uni) I will try again the following year. However, I am confused with the policies regarding some of the medical schools. For instance Newcastle states "show sustained academic endeavour within the 3 years prior to registering e.g A Levels, OU (open university), GAMSAT" My question do you guys think a degree achieved just under a year ago prior to an application suffices as a sustained academic endeavour?

I know it seems like a straight forward answer. Like yes ofcourse a degree in biochemistry is a sustained academic endeavour but a recent email from barts has confused me and now I'm not so sure. "With your 2.1 degree in Biochemistry you would be eligible to apply for both the Accelerated and the Standard MBBS programme, if the start date of the course and date of graduation are more than three years you would have to demonstrate some form of academic endeavour." Surely the degree itself is an academic endeavour or is he hinting at something else? :s-smilie: Perhaps he thinks I achieved the degree over 3 years ago because I havent actually hinted I was a current university student? :biggrin:

I know its a bit of a long read but I'd love it if you guys could give your opinions :smile: Thanks :h::h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by SolidGainz
Hi there,
I am a current biochemistry student at university who will be applying to A100 (yes A100 not A101 :colondollar:) medicine in the near future but I am preparing for the worst just in case. In the event where I do not get accepted in my first application cycle (during my third year at uni) I will try again the following year. However, I am confused with the policies regarding some of the medical schools. For instance Newcastle states "show sustained academic endeavour within the 3 years prior to registering e.g A Levels, OU (open university), GAMSAT" My question do you guys think a degree achieved just under a year ago prior to an application suffices as a sustained academic endeavour?

I know it seems like a straight forward answer. Like yes ofcourse a degree in biochemistry is a sustained academic endeavour but a recent email from barts has confused me and now I'm not so sure. "With your 2.1 degree in Biochemistry you would be eligible to apply for both the Accelerated and the Standard MBBS programme, if the start date of the course and date of graduation are more than three years you would have to demonstrate some form of academic endeavour." Surely the degree itself is an academic endeavour or is he hinting at something else? :s-smilie: Perhaps he thinks I achieved the degree over 3 years ago because I havent actually hinted I was a current university student? :biggrin:

I know its a bit of a long read but I'd love it if you guys could give your opinions :smile: Thanks :h::h:

A degree is academic endeavour and I can't see a contradiction from either Newcastle or Barts from what you've posted. What they're saying is if you're more than 3 years out of uni and haven't done anything academic prior to applying to medicine then it's not good enough and you need to do something, e.g. OU, GAMSAT, etc. (from what Newcastle have said at least).
Reply 2
Original post by Beska
A degree is academic endeavour and I can't see a contradiction from either Newcastle or Barts from what you've posted. What they're saying is if you're more than 3 years out of uni and haven't done anything academic prior to applying to medicine then it's not good enough and you need to do something, e.g. OU, GAMSAT, etc. (from what Newcastle have said at least).

That what I suspected :biggrin: just needed a second hand opinion :smile: thanks
It says pretty clearly 3 years between graduation (from your degree) and the start date of the medical degree. Is my interpretation.

Of course a degree is a sustained academic endeavour!
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
It says pretty clearly 3 years between graduation (from your degree) and the start date of the medical degree. Is my interpretation.

Of course a degree is a sustained academic endeavour!

I'm inclined to agree :colone: :colondollar: feel abit stupid now for asking but I guess my brain was just abit fried earlier haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending