The Student Room Group

Is it possible for me to get an A* for ICT a level?

I'm in my second year of ICT a level. For AS I got 112/120 in the paper (A)
and 59/80 in the coursework (B)

So i got 171/200 overall (an A), I'm aiming for an A in my coursework and I'm going to try for full marks on the paper, would it be realistic to try and get an A*, is this possible?
Thanks!!
Original post by thaliawaters
I'm in my second year of ICT a level. For AS I got 112/120 in the paper (A)
and 59/80 in the coursework (B)

So i got 171/200 overall (an A), I'm aiming for an A in my coursework and I'm going to try for full marks on the paper, would it be realistic to try and get an A*, is this possible?
Thanks!!

Are you on WJEC?

Yes. Try an get 100% on coursework and as high as you can on paper. Basically it is not impossible.
Reply 2
Original post by Aaron2515
Are you on WJEC?

Yes. Try an get 100% on coursework and as high as you can on paper. Basically it is not impossible.

Thanks for the reply! My exam board is OCR, I guess I just need to really aim to get my coursework as high as possible.
Thanks for the reply! My exam board is OCR, I guess I just need to really aim to get my coursework as high as possible.

Yeah try and do that. I also do ICT but with WJEC. I did reslly bad last year :frown:
I got 78/80 on coursework which was good. But 42/120 on exam which was a U.
Got a C overall but the exam was marked badly. Getting it remarked but still won't go higher than a D. So need to repeat.
Reply 4
Yeah try and do that. I also do ICT but with WJEC. I did reslly bad last year :frown:
I got 78/80 on coursework which was good. But 42/120 on exam which was a U.
Got a C overall but the exam was marked badly. Getting it remarked but still won't go higher than a D. So need to repeat.

Aw I seem to have the opposite problem to you!! I struggle with the coursework no matter how many hours I spend on it!! well done on the coursework mark though :smile: I can just recommend past papers, you probably know that already, but I knew a girl who didn't even try a past paper before the exam so she knew nothing about the exam technique and keywords used, so didn't do that well which was sad as she seemed to do well in class :frown:

Nice to finally talk to someone on here doing ICT too as it seems like it's becoming extinct hahah
Aw I seem to have the opposite problem to you!! I struggle with the coursework no matter how many hours I spend on it!! well done on the coursework mark though :smile: I can just recommend past papers, you probably know that already, but I knew a girl who didn't even try a past paper before the exam so she knew nothing about the exam technique and keywords used, so didn't do that well which was sad as she seemed to do well in class :frown:

Nice to finally talk to someone on here doing ICT too as it seems like it's becoming extinct hahah

:frown: can't seem to give you much advice about coursework, it's the only thing I understand hah. Teacher is so bad though for theory. We didn't do one past paper so the whole class got a U :frown:. Really struggling with it. Well done in getting an A in the exam that's amazing. What revision material do you use? He gives us awful sheets which make no sense ugh.

I know what you mean, so few people take the subject. It's nice to talk to you too.
Reply 6
:frown: can't seem to give you much advice about coursework, it's the only thing I understand hah. Teacher is so bad though for theory. We didn't do one past paper so the whole class got a U :frown:. Really struggling with it. Well done in getting an A in the exam that's amazing. What revision material do you use? He gives us awful sheets which make no sense ugh.

I know what you mean, so few people take the subject. It's nice to talk to you too.

What activity are you doing for your coursework? Thank you though! I just went over all the mark schemes to death. its all about keywords, like you could ramble on about something you understand but if there isn't 1 important word then thats it, which is really unfair. I use an OCR book 'ICT for A2' and use the teach-ict website which is extremely helpful, and the typical flash cards before the exam kinda thing. I can give you a link to all the past papers if you would like them :smile:

Yeah! my college is discontinuing the course as of next year:frown:
What activity are you doing for your coursework? Thank you though! I just went over all the mark schemes to death. its all about keywords, like you could ramble on about something you understand but if there isn't 1 important word then thats it, which is really unfair. I use an OCR book 'ICT for A2' and use the teach-ict website which is extremely helpful, and the typical flash cards before the exam kinda thing. I can give you a link to all the past papers if you would like them :smile:

Yeah! my college is discontinuing the course as of next year:frown:

My coursework is a database for a hotel. Sorry if I didn't mention but I am with WJEC board. Probably why yours sounds so much harder as we don't need to be too concerned with key words. Is the teach-ict available for the Welsh Board? That would be useful thank you.

Yeahh mine is too. I think the government is scrapping ICT completely. Which worries me in how universities look at it :frown:. Always scared it's considered a 'soft' subject and I will get excluded from certain universities.

If you don't mind me asking, what other A Levels do you take?
Reply 8
My coursework is a database for a hotel. Sorry if I didn't mention but I am with WJEC board. Probably why yours sounds so much harder as we don't need to be too concerned with key words. Is the teach-ict available for the Welsh Board? That would be useful thank you.

Yeahh mine is too. I think the government is scrapping ICT completely. Which worries me in how universities look at it :frown:. Always scared it's considered a 'soft' subject and I will get excluded from certain universities.

If you don't mind me asking, what other A Levels do you take?

Ooh that sounds cool!! awww oh yeah I remember you said, I don't know if the resources will be useful for your course then unfortunately :/
I don't really know why I picked ICT as I didn't even enjoy it for GCSE ahaha. Yeah I get that too, when I tell people my subjects I always worry they will judge me for ICT because of the typical assumptions??

No it's fine! I'm also taking Art and English Lit & Lang which aren't too bad, how about you? :smile:
Ooh that sounds cool!! awww oh yeah I remember you said, I don't know if the resources will be useful for your course then unfortunately :/
I don't really know why I picked ICT as I didn't even enjoy it for GCSE ahaha. Yeah I get that too, when I tell people my subjects I always worry they will judge me for ICT because of the typical assumptions??

No it's fine! I'm also taking Art and English Lit & Lang which aren't too bad, how about you? :smile:

Yeahh it's not bad :smile: what are you doing for yours? oh well. Haha yet you do so well. I'm the same, never really liked it but stuck with it. Wish I did History.

It's annoying isn't it :frown: I get that in school a lot haha.

They sound good!! I do Religious Studies and Classical Civilisation which I really enjoy.

Not to sound like a stalker haha. Was reading your profile and was so jealous reading it. Sounds so good with how many languages you know and how you want to travel. I'm taking a year out to travel and would love to have a job related to traveling in the future :smile:
Reply 10
I'm doing a database for my own chosen company which is pretty boring as its the whole system life cycle stuff! I'm only doing ICT as I was 2 marks off the minimum grade to do French a level so choose ICT without thinking.

That sounds really cool!! I'm fascinated about different religions so that sounds pretty cool.

Hahah aw thanks, that's so cool!! I would absolutely love to have a job that requires me to travel around the world :smile: I'm planning on a gap year to travel aswell, but none of my friends are going so looks like I'll be alone hahah. Where are you planning on going to?
I'm doing a database for my own chosen company which is pretty boring as its the whole system life cycle stuff! I'm only doing ICT as I was 2 marks off the minimum grade to do French a level so choose ICT without thinking.

That sounds really cool!! I'm fascinated about different religions so that sounds pretty cool.

Hahah aw thanks, that's so cool!! I would absolutely love to have a job that requires me to travel around the world :smile: I'm planning on a gap year to travel aswell, but none of my friends are going so looks like I'll be alone hahah. Where are you planning on going to?

Oh I get you. Shame you couldn't do French. Yeahh I love it to be honest haha.

Yeahh would be so fun to travel. Probably better, always wanted to go on my own. Meet new people and that. Think I'm going to Samoa as a volunteer for community development for around 2 months and then I have family in Australia I can visit on the way back and possibly stop off at Singapore with cousins from Australia who want to go and then back home haha. Not sure if I can do anymore after that, as it's so expensive. But would be amazing for me! So excited. What about you?
Reply 12
That's so cool about Samoa!! I'm looking into voluntary work as I think it'll be a nice introduction to my gap year and then give me the confidence to go off travelling alone. I'd love to go to Singapore and Australia sounds amazing, you'll have the best time ever! I'm planning on the voluntary work probably in Thailand or Sri lanka then will travel around South East Asia, come back to work a little (for more ££ lol) and then possibly go around Europe through interrailing. Also wanna fit Japan/Korea into there somehow so I've got a lot of planning and spending to do hahah!
It's so motivating for my studying whenever I think about my Gap year plans as I don't want to spend the year retaking.
That's so cool about Samoa!! I'm looking into voluntary work as I think it'll be a nice introduction to my gap year and then give me the confidence to go off travelling alone. I'd love to go to Singapore and Australia sounds amazing, you'll have the best time ever! I'm planning on the voluntary work probably in Thailand or Sri lanka then will travel around South East Asia, come back to work a little (for more ££ lol) and then possibly go around Europe through interrailing. Also wanna fit Japan/Korea into there somehow so I've got a lot of planning and spending to do hahah!
It's so motivating for my studying whenever I think about my Gap year plans as I don't want to spend the year retaking.

Thank you so much!! Can't wait for it. And wow! Sound amazing and I agree, think volunteering is good for confidence etc. Yeah will definitely have to get a job and work. Trying to look at working abroad as well and I agree. Need to do well this year! I would probably take two years out if I had to. In order to properly go travelling. It's like a dream haha.

Quick Reply

Latest