The Student Room Group

Feeling Sad and helpless..I need advice

I feel so sad and helpless. I live in the UK and my mother lives in Australia and although it's been this way for the last 4 years, it doesn't seem to have gotten easier especially since she was such a big part of my daily life for the first 11 years of my life.

She's been very ill and can't work atm and i feel helpless because she's so far away and im swamped with my gcses and there isn't much I can do. My step dad died of brain cancer over a year ago now so she doesn't have anyone there for her. She doesn't have any qualifications (she grew up very poor in Cambodia during the Khmer rouge) and so can't get a good job so she has to work like 3 low paying jobs just to earn the money to see me once a year.

I literally can't do anything and i can't help her and I hate seeing her suffer especially when she's such a good person and mother.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why doesn't she come live with you?
How often do you get to speak to her?

Maybe try to keep in regular contact, not just over the phone, but facetime/skype too?

Could always send her little gifts and cards/letters too, that would be sweet :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by AndroidLight
Why doesn't she come live with you?

She has nowhere near the money for that big of the move and even if she did move to the UK, she's got nowhere to stay.

The main reason she's still in Aus is because she's only just gotten permanent residence and is on her way to getting citizenship

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by sleepinglions
How often do you get to speak to her?

Maybe try to keep in regular contact, not just over the phone, but facetime/skype too?

Could always send her little gifts and cards/letters too, that would be sweet :smile:

We Skype weekly but it's never the same as like real life contact i guess :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by awkwrdbby
We Skype weekly but it's never the same as like real life contact i guess :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I genuinely want to just give you a fat cuddle :frown: :hugs:

Such a sad situation OP, why don't you try getting a part-time job, saving up some money to go and visit her? :smile: Have something to look forward to?
Original post by awkwrdbby
I feel so sad and helpless. I live in the UK and my mother lives in Australia and although it's been this way for the last 4 years, it doesn't seem to have gotten easier especially since she was such a big part of my daily life for the first 11 years of my life.

She's been very ill and can't work atm and i feel helpless because she's so far away and im swamped with my gcses and there isn't much I can do. My step dad died of brain cancer over a year ago now so she doesn't have anyone there for her. She doesn't have any qualifications (she grew up very poor in Cambodia during the Khmer rouge) and so can't get a good job so she has to work like 3 low paying jobs just to earn the money to see me once a year.

I literally can't do anything and i can't help her and I hate seeing her suffer especially when she's such a good person and mother.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey OP this sucks, it must be very difficult.

Who are you staying with now?

Maybe you can get a Saturday job alternatively (send a food parcel once a month? Actually ut stuff over there via the internet?) do very well in your exams?

With the internet you can skype call her on a regular basis? once a week, fortnight plus you cna e-mail and am sure she would appreciate that. It would make her everyday life a lot easier to deal with if you have frequent contact.

When you get to Uni, then maybe you could study in Oz or at least do a working holiday there, then stay with her?

Look after yourself and do well at school and it will make it much easier for her.

Quick Reply

Latest