The Student Room Group

Meiosis confusions??

I'm going through my notes and it's seriously mucking up my mind. So basically meiosis is to produce gametes but why does your original cell have two sets of same chromosome that are homologous? And where do the two homologous pairs come from??
When two haploid gametes fuse to produce a diploid fertilised embryo, they each contribute one set of chromosomes, so that the result has a pair of each chromosome. That first cell then divides and divides to produce an entire organism, and all of the cells that result are diploid - that is, they have two of each chromosome.

I hope that makes sense!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
When two haploid gametes fuse to produce a diploid fertilised embryo, they each contribute one set of chromosomes, so that the result has a pair of each chromosome. That first cell then divides and divides to produce an entire organism, and all of the cells that result are diploid - that is, they have two of each chromosome.

I hope that makes sense!

YES :biggrin: thank you so much, I was getting frustrated why I wasn't getting it, but it's a lot clearer now
Original post by rb16
YES :biggrin: thank you so much, I was getting frustrated why I wasn't getting it, but it's a lot clearer now

I'm glad

Quick Reply

Latest