The Student Room Group

Black students at university uncomfortable by old white professors

Link to article: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/education/black-soas-students-uncomfortable-being-taught-by-old-white-professors-a3441006.html

What do you think? What would the reaction be if it were the other way around?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah that's racist
Reply 3
Since the UK has around 3% black population it isn't surprising professors are white at all, also their age isn't surprising since you need a huge amount of experience to become a professor.

It's surprising how these black people decide skin colour amounts to them having a worse time at Uni, and somehow a black professor would be so much better.
Original post by Mistletoe

Nice use of indirect racism linking a video that has nothing to do with the article posted. It is clear you are trying to hint that black people are intellectually inferior with your use of a stupid debate, which happen to be mainly compromised of black students.
Black racists showing conscious racism and think its acceptable because they are black.

The irony is strong.
IF they don't like being taught by white men then maybe they should just skip uni, or go to one of those great universities they have in Africa or South America
Reply 7
Why did they choose to go to a "racist university"?
I think what everyone commenting here is missing is that this is SOAS.

It would be frankly more surprising if they weren't doing this kind of thing.

If you've never been to or around SOAS, I recommend you just accept it and move on. It needs to exist and be like this as a kind of toxic rubbish dump for all the nonsense. At least it's all in one place.
It's just so unbelievably stupid. There is a problem with racism in our society, and this kind of behaviour is not going to help their cause.
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Nice use of indirect racism linking a video that has nothing to do with the article posted. It is clear you are trying to hint that black people are intellectually inferior with your use of a stupid debate, which happen to be mainly compromised of black students.

There are lots of smart black people, there are some dumb ones too. Pointing out some dumb ones doesn't make me racist.

Is this satire? Science is not seen from a racial perspective, there is arguably a case that linguistics may influence the way we look and perceive things, but obviously to anyone who isn't a moron science is considered true because it works and accurately explains things, not to mention a lot of it actually comes from Asia these days

What an absolute muppet.
Reply 12
Original post by zayn008
Link to article: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/education/black-soas-students-uncomfortable-being-taught-by-old-white-professors-a3441006.html

What do you think? What would the reaction be if it were the other way around?

How do some people dress themselves in the morning?

Original post by Trinculo
I think what everyone commenting here is missing is that this is SOAS.

It would be frankly more surprising if they weren't doing this kind of thing.

If you've never been to or around SOAS, I recommend you just accept it and move on. It needs to exist and be like this as a kind of toxic rubbish dump for all the nonsense. At least it's all in one place.

Yeah. You don't build litter bins because you love banana peels and kebab forks.
Reply 13
Original post by TheExtrovertGod
Is this satire? Science is not seen from a racial perspective, there is arguably a case that linguistics may influence the way we look and perceive things, but obviously to anyone who isn't a moron science is considered true because it works and accurately explains things, not to mention a lot of it actually comes from Asia these days

What an absolute muppet.

Postmodernism is a disease.
There are lots of smart black people, there are some dumb ones too. Pointing out some dumb ones doesn't make me racist.

Lool... That's clearly not your goal. Your reply had nothing to do with the article and you try to cover it up by saying you were "pointing out some dumb ones". Your intentions were quite obvious. Posting an idiotic speaker in a debate, who happend to be black and had nothing to do with the article, clearly trying to indirectly suggest blacks lack intellect. So yes I would say it is quite racist.
Original post by jape
Yeah. You don't build litter bins because you love banana peels and kebab forks.

If we were at SOAS right now, someone would pick you up on both those - banana being a racial slur and kebab forks being cultural appropriation.
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Lool... That's clearly not your goal. Your reply had nothing to do with the article and you try to cover it up by saying you were "pointing out some dumb ones". Your intentions were quite obvious. Posting an idiotic speaker in a debate, who happend to be black and had nothing to do with the article, clearly trying to indirectly suggest blacks lack intellect. So yes I would say it is quite racist.

Or maybe he/she is simply pointing out the idiocy that spawned the article, and like most things it has nothing to do with race?
Hmm they may have a point about race, but sounds a bit ageist to me also.
I was in a black lecturer from Cardiff university he was just as good as any I'd listened to. I don't see why it'll make a difference being black or white.
"Both of my tutors are white men. How can I have a rapport and feel comfortable talking to a 60-year-old white man? “Our experiences of life are so different and you’re coming from completely different places.”

How can an actual rational human have said this. Utter stupidity, and prejudice.

How offensive and rude to the tutors, I bet they aren't categorising people into skin tone. Academics tend to be progressively minded.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending