The Student Room Group

embarrassed of my university

I currently go to a university with a kind of negative reputation but it has been moving up the league tables. However I really hate this place as a lot of my (negative) assumptions of this university have been proven right, and my course is undergoing changes which could ruin my entire university experience. I have no friends, the societies and sports clubs are awful, student support isn't great, and I've been unable to find a job or a hobby.
I'm being forced to stay here for next semester. I'm so embarrassed to say I go here and when people ask me my thoughts of university, I can't say anything like that.
What do I do?
Which year are you in? And how long is your degree overall?
Reply 2
I am a first year with a 3 year degree
Reply 3
I'm sorry you're feeling this way.

I think, as you get older, you'll start to care much less about what other people "seemingly" think. It's quite generalising to base a reputation of one university on the management of one course, as different schools within the university operate very differently.

My advice is to shape your own experience at university, and not the other way around. You need to make the most of the experience. Take up opportunities as they present themselves. Make yourself a little uncomfortable by approaching your peers, professors and departmental staff in the efforts to make yourself more comfortable over time.

You just need to focus on you. Enjoy your course and do the work. If you can't do either of these things, seek help and try to really discover what the issues are, and make goals of how you will overcome them.

If it sounds like a lot of effort, then it is -- but whether you choose to put that effort in will determine your success at university and be an incredibly rich life experience.
Original post by R4spB3rri3s
I currently go to a university with a kind of negative reputation but it has been moving up the league tables. However I really hate this place as a lot of my (negative) assumptions of this university have been proven right, and my course is undergoing changes which could ruin my entire university experience. I have no friends, the societies and sports clubs are awful, student support isn't great, and I've been unable to find a job or a hobby.
I'm being forced to stay here for next semester. I'm so embarrassed to say I go here and when people ask me my thoughts of university, I can't say anything like that.
What do I do?

The devil is in the detail. Which uni/course?
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
The devil is in the detail. Which uni/course?

English lit with creative writing at obu
Original post by R4spB3rri3s
English lit with creative writing at obu

Ok. I wouldn't say it's an institution to be embarrassed about.

What would you rather be doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending