The Student Room Group

Can someone please give me advice?

So my school is saying that the Welsh Baccalaureate is a compulsory course and so are really reluctant to allow people to do 4 A Levels along with this, but I REALLY want to do 4, I literally cannot decide on one to not do (Oh, by the way, I want to do Chemistry, Biology, Physics and English Literature and then go on to do Medicine). Nobody wants to do the Welsh Bac and I really don't think it's useful. I know I technically will be able to do the 4, but it's going to be a lot of work, as I wouldn't enough "frees" to study and would have to do a lot at home. And there doesn't seem to be any way of getting out of Welsh Bac... If this were you, what would you do?
Reply 1
Original post by Tombre
So my school is saying that the Welsh Baccalaureate is a compulsory course and so are really reluctant to allow people to do 4 A Levels along with this, but I REALLY want to do 4, I literally cannot decide on one to not do (Oh, by the way, I want to do Chemistry, Biology, Physics and English Literature and then go on to do Medicine). Nobody wants to do the Welsh Bac and I really don't think it's useful. I know I technically will be able to do the 4, but it's going to be a lot of work, as I wouldn't enough "frees" to study and would have to do a lot at home. And there doesn't seem to be any way of getting out of Welsh Bac... If this were you, what would you do?

Hi,

In my school Welsh Baccalaureate was not a compulsory course and many people did 4 Subjects and ended up dropping a subject in January after failing the mock exams.

Looking at the Welsh Government website it shows that changes were made in 2015 and now its not statutory for learners to undertake the qualification. However, they do state that it depends on the school or college and if they require all of their students to study towards it.

I think that as your school is stating they are considering Welsh Baccalaureate as a "compulsory course" you should go and speak to them. See if there is a way you can persuade them to allow you not study it. If that doesn't work I would pick the subject that has least appeals to you or ask them what they suggest you do.

Hope you figure it out!:biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Bri98
Hi,

In my school Welsh Baccalaureate was not a compulsory course and many people did 4 Subjects and ended up dropping a subject in January after failing the mock exams.

Looking at the Welsh Government website it shows that changes were made in 2015 and now its not statutory for learners to undertake the qualification. However, they do state that it depends on the school or college and if they require all of their students to study towards it.

I think that as your school is stating they are considering Welsh Baccalaureate as a "compulsory course" you should go and speak to them. See if there is a way you can persuade them to allow you not study it. If that doesn't work I would pick the subject that has least appeals to you or ask them what they suggest you do.

Hope you figure it out!:biggrin:

Thank you for the reply! If the Government doesn't force it then I don't really don't understand why my school is saying that it does, ugh. I will try speaking to them, but they get quite funny about it, I'll just have to try and see what I can do. Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 3
I also find Welsh Bacc a pain for A Level choices! I'm in the EXACT same position as you smh :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by yeezyb
I also find Welsh Bacc a pain for A Level choices! I'm in the EXACT same position as you smh :frown:

It is literally the worst! I sort of want to do it, as the project is a conversation starter for university interviews, BUT 4 A Levels + WBQ will be so much work ugh. My school is so funny about it, so it makes me worries about asking and I just don't get why it's forced upon us. :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest