The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reue
No I wouldnt, the court already has and sided with him.

I did not mean you specifically, I meant you in the general sense.

One would have to study the results of previous cases including the case in 2009 to determine how the law is likely to view this case rather than simply stating that he's successfully sued in the past, therefore all cases of wrongful arrest mean you can sue. It's not enough to know the facts, you have to know the way the law treats those facts.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by l'etranger
Is matching the description of a suspect and refusing to give his name grounds for arrest? (I'm asking this is good faith.)

Refusing to give your name is a very good grounds for arrest if the officer has a Reasonable Suspicion that you may be a wanted individual or has reasonable grounds to suspect you have committed a crime or the officer has observed you commit a crime that would otherwise be dealt with by alternative disposal ( e.g. speeding or DWDCA where driver improvement course may be offered)/ fixed penalty or report for summons

Force can and will be used to effect that arrest.

for the sixth-form common room comfy chair experts, where does Taser use lie in the use of force continuum ? above or below the use of baton strikes ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zippyRN
refusing to give your name is a very good grounds for arrest if the officer has a Reasonable Suspicion that you may a wanted individual .

Force can and will be used to effect that arrest

for the sixth-form common room comfy chair experts, where does Taser use lie in the use of force continuum ? above or below the use of baton strikes ?

You shouldn't have to give your name to police officers as a general rule.
Reply 63
Original post by zippyRN

Far far below. Unless of course they are baton striking to the head.
Original post by zippyRN
and your understanding of the use of force in Law Enforcement /Emergency care / Acute Psychiatry / CJS settings is what exactly ?

ditto your training in control and restraint techhniques ...

Is deploying a Taser without aiming the correct restraint technique? Because last time I checked, you should never discharge any firearm without first aiming.
Original post by Reue
Far far below. Unless of course they are baton striking to the head.

Indeed a baton strike to a 'red zone' target is second only to the use of a firearm
as it is a an action likely to result in serious injury or a possibility of causing a fatal injury
Original post by Willy Pete
Is deploying a Taser without aiming the correct restraint technique? Because last time I checked, you should never discharge any firearm without first aiming.

range ? method of use ? mode used ?

what is your understanding of the rules of engagement and laws of armed combat in either a Military or Policing setting ?
Original post by l'etranger
You shouldn't have to give your name to police officers as a general rule.

s.24 PACE

specifically

(5)The reasons are—

(a)to enable the name of the person in question to be ascertained (in the case where the constable does not know, and cannot readily ascertain, the person's name, or has reasonable grounds for doubting whether a name given by the person as his name is his real name);

(b)correspondingly as regards the person's address;

s.163 road traffic act when riding / driving

plus various other powers that may in place with regard to either terrorism or in relation to certain places or activities
Original post by zippyRN
and your understanding of the use of force in Law Enforcement /Emergency care / Acute Psychiatry / CJS settings is what exactly ?

ditto your training in control and restraint techhniques ...

What does that have to do with the police instigating agression initially?
Why would you use 'restraint' techniques on someone getting home from walking his dog when you're not even sure he is the criminal?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by StrawbAri

I refer you to the works of messers Dunning and Kruger with regard to your unconscious incompetence in this situation.
He wasn't being aggressive. The accusing way they approached him was wrong and he refused to be addressed that way. He simply tried to walk back into his home and they tasered him.
How the hell do you justify that?

Original post by Quantex
Looking at that video, you have to be a really special snowflake to regard that as being aggressive. No wonder the assaulting a police officer charges were dropped.

He was clearly resisting arrest and just shoved a male police officer of greater size than him into a female colleague with a taser drawn. I don't think he was going to 'allow' himself to be arrested.

He also has something in his hands. Is that a pair of keys? Can't see, but could have been a dangerous weapon. Keys sure are.

Sames totally reasonable use of a taser to me.
Why would you use 'restraint' techniques on someone getting home from walking his dog when you're not even sure he is the criminal?

Because they needed to arrest him... -__-
Original post by zippyRN
s.24 PACE

specifically

(5)The reasons are—

(a)to enable the name of the person in question to be ascertained (in the case where the constable does not know, and cannot readily ascertain, the person's name, or has reasonable grounds for doubting whether a name given by the person as his name is his real name);

(b)correspondingly as regards the person's address;

s.163 road traffic act when riding / driving

plus various other powers that may in place with regard to either terrorism or in relation to certain places or activities

It's ironic that you refer to us as kids sitting in our common rooms given you're seemingly unaware of the huge scope for interpretation in the above wording and the fact English Common Law is based on judge's interpretations which are referred back to in later cases for the sake for consistency.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
There is the chance it wasn't racist but it probably was.

If the guy was white I would still be on his side fyi.

I thought you were a proper libertarian.

Are you ****ing serious?

There was absolutely 100% no way in hell this was racist.

I'd like to see how you'd react when you need to arrest a man and his dog. As a woman!
Original post by zippyRN
range ? method of use ? mode used ?

what is your understanding of the rules of engagement and laws of armed combat in either a Military or Policing setting ?

2m, arrest of an unarmed innocent member of the public, probe mode.

And a still of the exact moment she discharged the firearm.

Capture.jpg
Original post by TorpidPhil
Are you ****ing serious?

There was absolutely 100% no way in hell this was racist.

I'd like to see how you'd react when you need to arrest a man and his dog. As a woman!

I wont lie. I did self cringe with how much of a wishy washy liberal I sounded like. But I decided to put it in because I love annoying the sort of person who would get annoyed by describing the incident as racist.

Spoiler

Like I told someone else if he was white I would still be on his side. Definitely a bad example of the sate using its monopoly on violence. Also fyi a woman can be racist, and she had a taser... and they out numbered him...and he wasn't really putting up much of a fight.
Okay, I take it back.

The police officer gave no warning of her use of a taser that the person could realistically respond to.

Nor did she aim it in the first place. What she should have done was grab him properly as he was leaving the gate but she was a bit... timid and weak.

She needed to notify him she was going to use a taser and hip firing it without notification is simply unacceptable.

Still, -if- she did those things then it would have been lawful use.
Original post by TorpidPhil
He was clearly resisting arrest and just shoved a male police officer of greater size than him into a female colleague with a taser drawn. I don't think he was going to 'allow' himself to be arrested.

He also has something in his hands. Is that a pair of keys? Can't see, but could have been a dangerous weapon. Keys sure are.

Sames totally reasonable use of a taser to me.

Watch the full video at the bottom of the article.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I wont lie. I did self cringe with how much of a wishy washy liberal I sounded like. But I decided to put it in because I love annoying the sort of person who would get annoyed by describing the incident as racist.

Spoiler

Like I told someone else if he was white I would still be on his side. Definitely a bad example of the sate using its monopoly on violence. Also fyi a woman can be racist, and she had a taser... and they out numbered him...and he wasn't really putting up much of a fight.

Okay, I take it back.

The police officer gave no warning of her use of a taser that the person could realistically respond to.

Nor did she aim it in the first place. What she should have done was grab him properly as he was leaving the gate but she was a bit... timid and weak.

She needed to notify him she was going to use a taser and hip firing it without notification is simply unacceptable.

Still, -if- she did those things then it would have been lawful use.

Original post by Mathemagicien
The guy filming it is so annoying.

Indeed he is, but he is doing a public service in documenting poor policing.

Latest

Trending

Trending