The Student Room Group

Do you ever watch films in foreign languages?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, I have done it in the past. Watching films in English has improved my language skills in this foreign language (yeah, English is really not my first language, guys!). Got a better understanding and securer in talking and writing and it has increased my knowledge in vocabulary. In other words: it was the best what I ever did. It made even fun! whenever I have enough time, I am watching films in English language again, be it in British or American English.
Original post by Inexorably
Die Welle

O I've seen that, it was pretty good. Ending was a bit naff though.
Original post by Inexorably
Mainly German ones:

Lola rennt
Die Welle
Das Experiment
Goodbye Lenin
Das Leben der Anderen
Wilkommen bei den Hartmanns.

I also need to watch Toni Erdmann seeing as it just got nominated for an oscar soooo

Original post by Snufkin
O I've seen that, it was pretty good. Ending was a bit naff though.

omg that was the one I saw in year 10 :hide:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
omg that was the one I saw in year 10 :hide:

Oh... I don't recall ever watching foreign films in school. :frown: Are you going to watch any of the films I recommended? :flower2:
I'll add Let the right one in (original Swedish version) and Fermat's room.
Original post by Snufkin
Oh... I don't recall ever watching foreign films in school. :frown: Are you going to watch any of the films I recommended? :flower2:

:console: tbf it was in the lesson after our exam :tongue:
I don't think so, not until I've gone through the VLE's ones :mmm: there are a lot!
I need to get Netflix or something to make getting films easier tbh
:console: tbf it was in the lesson after our exam :tongue:
I don't think so, not until I've gone through the VLE's ones :mmm: there are a lot!
I need to get Netflix or something to make getting films easier tbh

Awh. Tbh there are not that many good foreign films on Netflix!
Original post by Snufkin
Awh. Tbh there are not that many good foreign films on Netflix!

:tongue: Maybe I should look elsewhere. Where do you get your films from Monsieur Snuff?
:tongue: Maybe I should look elsewhere. Where do you get your films from Monsieur Snuff?

I used to watch them on Film 4 but they don't show as many as they used to. These days I just rent them on Amazon Video.
Original post by Snufkin
I used to watch them on Film 4 but they don't show as many as they used to. These days I just rent them on Amazon Video.

Yuss same :five:
So sad :emo:
Ah! I have Prime so maybe this is a good idea :colone:
i scour Film 4 for foreign films. they are always late at night so i record them ?

one gem was http://www.filmsufi.com/2008/09/heart-of-glass-werner-herzog-1976.html

more recently https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/21/les-combattants-review-outlaw-humour-heartfelt-emotion-kevin-azais-adele-haenel-thomas-cailley

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/jan/31/bullhead-review was one of the best Belgian films i have ever seen :teehee:

the Greek film https://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/apr/22/dogtooth-review was memorable :creep:

Film 4 also show the more mainstream films like Chocolat/Amelie/Betty Blue/
Oh and by the way, I am also watching animes in Japanese language with English dubbing sometimes. :smile:
Yes, whenever I can. I love them :love: People refuse to watch them with me because they don't like subtitles though :frown:

All time favourites are probably Amélie (French), La Vita è Bella (Italian), and Intouchables (French)
I've watched a large number of Japanese and Korean films. Mostly horror. It was all I would watch when I was 18/19. :tongue:
One of my favourites

Die verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum https://g.co/kgs/DcXhCj
Bollywood (Hindi films) is the biggest film industry in the world and I've been following it religiously for years. I also enjoy films in regional languages from other parts of India e.g. Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu and I've seen a few Urdu films from neighbouring Pakistan. I'm a big fan of Hong Kong martial arts movies and I've seen a handful of French films too. I hear Italian and Korean films are also very well-made but I haven't seen any of them yet.
Original post by asif007
Bollywood (Hindi films) is the biggest film industry in the world and I've been following it religiously for years. I also enjoy films in regional languages from other parts of India e.g. Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu and I've seen a few Urdu films from neighbouring Pakistan. I'm a big fan of Hong Kong martial arts movies and I've seen a handful of French films too. I hear Italian and Korean films are also very well-made but I haven't seen any of them yet.

Hong Kong martial arts is great I like that films like that..
I started watching them 2 days ago and wow it was actually good.

French film called 'Breathe' and a Danish film called 'In the Blood'.

As a multilingual, I've always had an interest in other languages, and trying to understand them was actually quite fun, matching what words go with the english subtitles, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Google22
I started watching them 2 days ago and wow it was actually good.

French film called 'Breathe' and a Danish film called 'In the Blood'.

As a multilingual, I've always had an interest in other languages, and trying to understand them was actually quite fun, matching what words go with the english subtitles, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As you are multilingual, what languages do you speak beside English, Danish and French? are you watching films in those languages too?
Original post by Kallisto
As you are multilingual, what languages do you speak beside English, Danish and French? are you watching films in those languages too?

I speak English, Sinhala and tamil, and I used to watch films in those languages when I was younger. But bollywood is so crap, cringeworthy at times, so I stopped watching them.

I don't speak Danish or french, I watched those movies with subtitles. That's what I meant by saying it was interesting to see what words they spoke matched up with the subtitles, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest