The Student Room Group

What job can i do with a bsc in mathematics?

I recently graduated in the summer with a 2:1 in mathematics with honors from a Russell group university. Since then i have been applying for a range of jobs best fitted for my degree in terms of skills used (e.g analytical, statistical, some financial and actuarial), i have applied for a range of jobs in the areas of finance, actuarial and analytic jobs. I've had no success applying even though most are graduate roles, i only applied to these job areas based on the prospects site however i have had no luck. i went to my careers advisor at uni but she was terrible at trying to find a job area a maths graduate could get into.

so i wanted to know what sort of jobs could you do with a maths degree, im open to learning new skills, but im still lost for job opportunities.

with regards to my cv it has been checked by those that work in both top tier banking and analytic companies, both have said its fine.
It's not the degree that gets you the job, it's the work experience.
Yes, you have a solid degree from a Russell Group, but they are a dime a dozen nowadays. If you want to get those graduate jobs, you need a wealth of actual experience - summer internships, part-time jobs, voluntary work etc.

There simply aren't enough jobs for everyone and so your CV has to be immaculate if you want to even stand a chance.
Reply 2
Original post by Len Goodman
It's not the degree that gets you the job, it's the work experience.
Yes, you have a solid degree from a Russell Group, but they are a dime a dozen nowadays. If you want to get those graduate jobs, you need a wealth of actual experience - summer internships, part-time jobs, voluntary work etc.

There simply aren't enough jobs for everyone and so your CV has to be immaculate if you want to even stand a chance.

My cv has been checked by several banks including credit Suisse, Barclays and citi, all have said it's great and I've made the adjustments.

My problem is the work experience, but it's a catch 22 scenario, need a job to get work experience but can't get job without work experience. Clearly I'll have to break the cycle. But in terms of what job can a maths graduate do is my question. Any thoughts on possible areas to apply to that may give me an edge over other non stem or stem graduates
Original post by gshock
My cv has been checked by several banks including credit Suisse, Barclays and citi, all have said it's great and I've made the adjustments.

My problem is the work experience, but it's a catch 22 scenario, need a job to get work experience but can't get job without work experience. Clearly I'll have to break the cycle. But in terms of what job can a maths graduate do is my question. Any thoughts on possible areas to apply to that may give me an edge over other non stem or stem graduates

Apply for a summer internship or off-cycle internship at the banks to get the work experience you need to get a full-time offer. They extend offers to most interns. The internships are paid very well, more than most graduate jobs in fact so that's your best option for sure.

Your potential paths are: actuary, accounting, corporate finance, investment banking, research, sales and trading, management consulting, strategy consulting, cyber-security, product management, data analytics, computer science related roles, software engineering etc. Or even further study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by gshock
I recently graduated in the summer with a 2:1 in mathematics with honors from a Russell group university. Since then i have been applying for a range of jobs best fitted for my degree in terms of skills used (e.g analytical, statistical, some financial and actuarial), i have applied for a range of jobs in the areas of finance, actuarial and analytic jobs. I've had no success applying even though most are graduate roles, i only applied to these job areas based on the prospects site however i have had no luck. i went to my careers advisor at uni but she was terrible at trying to find a job area a maths graduate could get into.

so i wanted to know what sort of jobs could you do with a maths degree, im open to learning new skills, but im still lost for job opportunities.

with regards to my cv it has been checked by those that work in both top tier banking and analytic companies, both have said its fine.

First apply for internship then from there you get an idea of what is required of you. Maven Writers
Reply 5
@gshock Also consider marketing and advertising. In particular, media planning can be very analytical and relies heavily on "big data".

e.g. http://www.wpp.com/wpp/careers/marketing/graduates/
http://mediacom.co.uk/en/careers.aspx

Quick Reply

Latest