The Student Room Group

2017 Oxford Prospective Students [part 2]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MJ6987
But are other Unis likely to be more lenient if you miss their grades than Oxford, despite it being a higher offer e.g. If your Oxford offer is AAA but you end up getting either A*A*B or A*AB would a non-Oxford A*AA offer be more likely to accept you than Oxford at AAA.

Reason I ask is that my daughter is in a similar position (Oxford Law AAA, Durham Law A*AA)

Some unis are, in Durham's case probably not. But in terms of law, since it is a pretty competitive field it would be quite hard to determine whether an institution would be lenient or not other than by using anecdotal evidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SFCardinal
My Oxford UCAS offer sounds similar. The condition is just to send in verification of results (that I listed on the application) of tests already taken. Mine are ACT and AP.

Do we have to wait for all other programs to respond before firming Oxford? And do we need an insurance if we've already met the Oxford offer?

You shouldn't need an insurance if you have an unconditional offer (or a 'conditional on verification of results' offer). The way UCAS works it might think 'conditional on verification' counts as conditional and ask you to put in an insurance but no, you shouldn't need/have one.
Original post by MJ6987
But are other Unis likely to be more lenient if you miss their grades than Oxford, despite it being a higher offer e.g. If your Oxford offer is AAA but you end up getting either A*A*B or A*AB would a non-Oxford A*AA offer be more likely to accept you than Oxford at AAA.

Reason I ask is that my daughter is in a similar position (Oxford Law AAA, Durham Law A*AA)

If a candidate achieves a conditional offer, then their place is guaranteed. If a candidate does not achieve the conditional offer, the guarantee no longer applies and it becomes a question of whether discretion is possible.

A candidate missing an a conditional offer who has compensation is in a better position than one without. For example, an A-level CO of AAA and a result of A*A*B or an IB offer of 38 points with 766 at HL and a result of 42 points with 666 at HL. The subjects in which the missed grades occur are also important. For exampe, a B in (say) Spanish when a candidate is applying for Spanish would potentially be serious.

The best advice we can offer is to concentrate on doing the best you can in the run up to A-levels/IB - keep doing what you've been doing up to now. Should any problems arise (for example, illness or other personal circumstances, or problems with teaching such as a teacher leaving and a replacement eing delayed) then we would suggest the school write to the college making an offer ahead of exams or results day.

Discretion generally depends on: what the actual result is, whether there are any documented extenuating circumstances, and how many missed offers there are in a subject (since there is some over-offering).
@BrasenoseAdm I hear that it is only worth applying post-results if the results are A*AA (arts) or A*A*A (sciences) despite the entrance requirement being AAA/A*AA? Is this the case?
Original post by auburnstar
You shouldn't need an insurance if you have an unconditional offer (or a 'conditional on verification of results' offer). The way UCAS works it might think 'conditional on verification' counts as conditional and ask you to put in an insurance but no, you shouldn't need/have one.

Thanks very much. If I am understanding correctly, the offer will turn to 'unconditional' sometime after they receive and review my 'verification of results'.
... Do we have to wait for all other programs to respond before firming Oxford?....

In case this helps anyone else, in searching for the answer to my question I found this from UCAS:

When can I reply to my offers?

You will only be asked to reply to any offers when you've received a decision from all of the universities or colleges you applied to. You will not lose any of your offers waiting for universities or colleges who have not yet made a decision.

Once you are in the position to reply, a Reply to offers button will appear in your Next steps bar. When you click on this you will be taken through the reply process, step-by-step.

If you decide you don't want to wait for the remaining universities or colleges, you may withdraw your choice with them. Once you have withdrawn any outstanding choices, you can then reply to those you have heard back from. Remember though - once you have withdrawn a choice in order to reply, you will no longer be considered at the withdrawn choice, and cannot reinstate this.
Thanks very much. If I am understanding correctly, the offer will turn to 'unconditional' sometime after they receive and review my 'verification of results'.

Yes, precisely. This is what happened to my friend who is applying post-results after e provided exam certificates.
Original post by auburnstar
@BrasenoseAdm I hear that it is only worth applying post-results if the results are A*AA (arts) or A*A*A (sciences) despite the entrance requirement being AAA/A*AA? Is this the case?

We would not agree with this.

If you are among the 85% of applicants taking an admissions test, the selectors will also have this information as well as thev rest of your UCAS information.

If you are among the 15% of applicants not taking an admissions test, your chances of an interview are likely to be quite high.

Of course, other things being equal A*AA is better than AAA and A*A*A* better than A*A*A but the selectors will consider the other things.

We would also point out that not applying equates to zero probability of success, that an Oxford application takes up only one of five UCAS choices, and and that post-qualification applicants know one way or another whether they have a guaranteed place by early January 2018.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
We would also point out that not applying equates to zero probability of success, that an Oxford application takes up only one of five UCAS choices, and and that post-qualification applicants know one way or another whether they have a guaranteed place by early January 2018.

Ah, thank you so much for your positive (and indeed wise) words!
Original post by Lauren1498x
this triggers me so much to write again on anything to do with oxford but...

whats the best way to contact them for feedback? my Ucas is not ticked to relay information backed to my referee, so

should i just reply to the rejection email/guy who sent it asking for feedback?

One of my friend requested for feed back after his rejection and the college came back and said to him his decision is now under consideration. The college made some mistake and he will hear back before 31st.
Original post by Kalikumar
One of my friend requested for feed back after his rejection and the college came back and said to him his decision is now under consideration. The college made some mistake and he will hear back before 31st.

Wait what? Lol

His admissions decision?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Is the FB offer holders group very active? For some reason my request to join hasn't been approved... not that is has been rejected or anything, it's just been a week or so since I requested to join and I can see the membership count has gone up

Maybe this is a sign I shouldn't go to Oxford :dontknow:
Original post by felecita
Is the FB offer holders group very active? For some reason my request to join hasn't been approved... not that is has been rejected or anything, it's just been a week or so since I requested to join and I can see the membership count has gone up

Maybe this is a sign I shouldn't go to Oxford :dontknow:

:rofl: maybe they are sifting through offer holders 1 by 1 :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of the hard things about coming back to this thread today after a week at school is being reminded just how many of the nicest, funniest, kindest posters got rejections. It is a shame. I'm hoping some/all may re-apply and succeed next year though perhaps this is a bit selfish and I should really be hoping you all go on to do amazing things elsewhere and prove Oxford wrong.
Original post by SonOfAGeek
One of the hard things about coming back to this thread today after a week at school is being reminded just how many of the nicest, funniest, kindest posters got rejections. It is a shame. I'm hoping some/all may re-apply and succeed next year though perhaps this is a bit selfish and I should really be hoping you all go on to do amazing things elsewhere and prove Oxford wrong.

Hoping to prove Oxford wrong elsewhere :smile:

Wish you good luck in Oxford! :smile: I am sure you'll achieve great things there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kalikumar

thanks for replying, do you know how he requested the feedback? wondering if i should just reply to the rejection email. what college and subject was your friend?
Original post by wolfmoon88
Wait what? Lol

His admissions decision?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah i've heard that happens occasionally. I just want to find out why if so I can work on it if i re apply. i deleted my rejection email so i'm tempted just to email them being like remember me lol and hoping some weird twist of fate leads them to change their minds:colone: getting the track update was killer :biggrin:
yeah i've heard that happens occasionally. I just want to find out why if so I can work on it if i re apply. i deleted my rejection email so i'm tempted just to email them being like remember me lol and hoping some weird twist of fate leads them to change their minds:colone: getting the track update was killer :biggrin:

:rofl: same here tbh, just curious but my college seems to only want my referee to get it so I'll have to wait a bit I think.

I wish that as well :tongue:, the track update was a rejection for the third time for me hahaha so was kinda numb

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
:rofl: same here tbh, just curious but my college seems to only want my referee to get it so I'll have to wait a bit I think.

I wish that as well :tongue:, the track update was a rejection for the third time for me hahaha so was kinda numb

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm writing this email and I just feel I'm being rude and I don't mean to! You have St Andrews though right?
i'm writing this email and I just feel I'm being rude and I don't mean to! You have St Andrews though right?

:rofl: I'm sure it's ok :smile: tbh I was tempted to send them an email back saying thank you and I hope to prove you all wrong some day but I decided not to xD

Yeah I do so that loosened the blow a bit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending