The Student Room Group

Is work experience necessary?

So I was having a debate with my friend; related to how necessary work experience at GCSE/A Level is for later - what do you think?

Do companies care if someone's done it? For example in internships or spring weeks? How helpful is it? Should we spend time trying to find it, or is it a waste?

Comment!
Original post by azizadil1998
So I was having a debate with my friend; related to how necessary work experience at GCSE/A Level is for later - what do you think?

Do companies care if someone's done it? For example in internships or spring weeks? How helpful is it? Should we spend time trying to find it, or is it a waste?

Comment!

It depends what you want to do after a-levels/at uni. Some things, like medicine, teaching etc require some work experience, whereas other courses dont.
What are you thinking of doing?
Reply 2
It's not really necessary for most jobs. Doing a spring week in your first year of uni definitely helps you get a second year summer internship which in turn helps you get a graduate job. Getting a spring week definitely does not require past work experience for most companies, just be enthusiastic and talk about your extra-curricular activities on your application form. You will need good grades though!
Original post by Emma:-)
It depends what you want to do after a-levels/at uni. Some things, like medicine, teaching etc require some work experience, whereas other courses dont.
What are you thinking of doing?

Yeah definitely. Advisory or consultancy :smile:
Am i wasting my time trying to do loads of work experience?
Original post by azizadil1998
Am i wasting my time trying to do loads of work experience?

Quality is better than quantity I'd say.
Original post by Emma:-)
Quality is better than quantity I'd say.

Yeah definitely

Quick Reply

Latest