The Student Room Group

Work experience for ps

If i were to apply for accounting and finance degree would mentioning work experience with a finance company in my ps make me stand out? Is this necessary to have? Because I haven’t had any so far, but I have experience in retail and volunteering.

Is online work experience good enough for places like city uni?
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Skittles_beans
If i were to apply for accounting and finance degree would mentioning work experience with a finance company in my ps make me stand out? Is this necessary to have? Because I haven’t had any so far, but I have experience in retail and volunteering.

Is online work experience good enough for places like city uni?

To my knowledge, getting onto an accounting and finance degree is not strictly that competitive. The work experience applies more if you want to do something in medicine, vetinary science, nursing, or dentistry where the level of competition is borderline ridiculous.

Strictly speaking, an accounting and finance degree is more accounting than finance, since you don't really cover the more difficult financial maths and you are really only walking away with modules and exemptions towards professional accounting qualifications.

Usually, a good personal statement with a good list of books, saying what your interests and intentions are with the accounting degree, and saying why you are passionate about accounting should suffice. However, if you intend to go to a top end uni like Warwick for the degree, you might want a second opinion from those who got onto the course.
Original post by MindMax2000
To my knowledge, getting onto an accounting and finance degree is not strictly that competitive. The work experience applies more if you want to do something in medicine, vetinary science, nursing, or dentistry where the level of competition is borderline ridiculous.

Strictly speaking, an accounting and finance degree is more accounting than finance, since you don't really cover the more difficult financial maths and you are really only walking away with modules and exemptions towards professional accounting qualifications.

Usually, a good personal statement with a good list of books, saying what your interests and intentions are with the accounting degree, and saying why you are passionate about accounting should suffice. However, if you intend to go to a top end uni like Warwick for the degree, you might want a second opinion from those who got onto the course.

im alright with knowing that’s the case for non-Russel unis and thank youu this was really informative!
Reply 3
What is the virtual experience?
Original post by ajj2000
What is the virtual experience?

It’s work experience online in the form of webinars or face to face zoom calls and they give you projects to work on or it could be something like the forage
Reply 5
It’s work experience online in the form of webinars or face to face zoom calls and they give you projects to work on or it could be something like the forage

If free or a notional cost I would do it - not if you have to pay.
Original post by ajj2000
If free or a notional cost I would do it - not if you have to pay.

It’s all freee
Reply 7
It’s all freee

Sounds great!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending