The Student Room Group

"I don't have enough time" is crap, yes you do.

Scroll to see replies

And you're also missing the point, if you have previous work experience and decide not to work while in Uni, you will now have whats called a "Gap in employment".

Two people graduate with the same degree classification, one has 3 years work experience, 3 years of no work while studying, another has 2 years work experience upto the present which was done while also at Uni.

Personally if I was an employer I would pick the second as it shows they can deal with the workloads needed at work WHILE having a busy life outside of work, this is a strong indication that they can work under pressure and are reliable. The first would raise red flags for me as a long term investment and I would question why they didn't do any part time work during studies in the interview.
Original post by Glassapple
I do what makes me happy. Everyone's parents wants their children to be happy, just because my parents involve money in that's doesn't make it wrong.

Everyone's?
What planet are you living on?
Original post by loooopppyyy
And you're also missing the point, if you have previous work experience and decide not to work while in Uni, you will now have whats called a "Gap in employment".

Two people graduate with the same degree classification, one has 3 years work experience, 3 years of no work while studying, another has 2 years work experience upto the present which was done while also at Uni.

Personally if I was an employer I would pick the second as it shows they can deal with the workloads needed at work WHILE having a busy life outside of work, this is a strong indication that they can work under pressure and are reliable. The first would raise red flags for me as a long term investment and I would question why they didn't do any part time work during studies in the interview.

And you'll also find plenty of employers who won't even register that as a factor, so why give it a moment's thought?

It's a shame how many young people spend time micromanaging their life to just to try to match up with the current trend in what employers supposedly want to see on a CV.
Original post by offhegoes
just to try to match up with the current trend in what employers supposedly want to see on a CV.

And therein lies the issue, prospective employers are your future bosses, not your future friends, they will pick the most suitable candidate from a pool of 100+ people, if your not willing to put in the extra effort to stand out from this pool, don't moan when you're not selected...

Why should someone get a job over someone else that has clearly put in more effort to become employable???
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Everyone's?
What planet are you living on?

Destroy @Glassapple
Original post by AshEntropy
Destroy @Glassapple

Do you do anything but insult me? I reported one your posts, which has been removed, for harassment.

Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Everyone's? What planet are you living on?

Obviously not everyone's, it's a figure of speech. I had assumed the general context would have been understood, considering it's true for the most part.
(edited 7 years ago)
I understand where you're coming from and agree, however now you're creating an unfair comparison as you're assuming the person that worked during Uni didn't do any personal projects or learned a new language. :tongue:

I simply meant I would take the person without a gap in employment, all other things being equal (ie person 1 went out drinking all weekend, person 2 worked all weekend, not person 1 studied a new language all weekend, person 2 worked all weekend).
Original post by loooopppyyy
And therein lies the issue, prospective employers are your future bosses, not your future friends, they will pick the most suitable candidate from a pool of 100+ people, if your not willing to put in the extra effort to stand out from this pool, don't moan when you're not selected...

Why should someone get a job over someone else that has clearly put in more effort to become employable???

I'm not saying don't put in a shred of effort, but there has to be a balance between micromanaging your life to look good on a CV and having a good quality of life.

I'm exactly where I want to be jobwise by the way, and, whilst it isn't like this for everyone, I certainly didn't give a secod thought to my CV whilst at uni. I was there to get a degree and learn and experience, working where appropriate to support that financially.

Quick Reply

Latest