The Student Room Group

Where do you put all of your work experience?

Hey guys,

I'm not really getting any clear answers or guidance from school, could i just ask where i put all my work experience, surely i cannot put it all on my PS, but i've done so much i dont want it to go to waste?
Is there anywhere on the UCAS it can go?
Applying for 2018 medicine (hopefully :tongue:)

thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by escg
Hey guys,

I'm not really getting any clear answers or guidance from school, could i just ask where i put all my work experience, surely i cannot put it all on my PS, but i've done so much i dont want it to go to waste?

thanks!

I'm going to move this into the medicine section so you can get more relevant advice :smile: . But i'd think you'd put the most relevant experience in your personal statement and focus on those.
Original post by escg
Hey guys,

thanks!

You have to pick out the most useful bits of your work experience and reflect on why they have confirmed your decision to want to be a doctor.

It's not supposed to read like a list of procedures/conditions i.e. don't write "I spent a week with a consultant general surgeon and was able to see an appendicectomy, a hernia repair, a cholecystectomy and endoscopy sessions. This has made me want to apply to medical school".

You can talk about the things you've mentioned on your PS (as well as the things you haven't) at your interviews too, again, provided you show that you've linked them to what being a doctor involves and why that makes you want to apply for medical school.
Could you please list the amount of work experience you have done so that I have an idea of what I am up against because I technically have none at the minute. That would be very helpful.

Also a 2018 medicine applicant.

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
You have to pick out the most useful bits of your work experience and reflect on why they have confirmed your decision to want to be a doctor.

It's not supposed to read like a list of procedures/conditions i.e. don't write "I spent a week with a consultant general surgeon and was able to see an appendicectomy, a hernia repair, a cholecystectomy and endoscopy sessions. This has made me want to apply to medical school".

You can talk about the things you've mentioned on your PS (as well as the things you haven't) at your interviews too, again, provided you show that you've linked them to what being a doctor involves and why that makes you want to apply for medical school.

Thanks for the help, I hope I'm able to discuss all of my work experience in the interview. what type of work experience do you recommend i put on my PS?
Reply 5
Original post by TracyEmu
Could you please list the amount of work experience you have done so that I have an idea of what I am up against because I technically have none at the minute. That would be very helpful.

Also a 2018 medicine applicant.

Sure no problem!

So far I've done:
- A week at a GP surgery, not only with doctors but also with the telecom workers, the GP manager also showed me the financial aspect of running a GP practice.
- A week in a Urology and Transplantation charity hospital in an LEDC, i got to talk to patients about there time there, what complaints etc. also watched a live kidney transplant :O
- A month (once a week) at an LEDC orphanage talking about general diseases and viruses, contraception etc. and why vaccines are important; general stuff.
- A week with a Cardiologist, shadowing him.
- 3 days with an Orthopedic surgeon

- And from Saturday I'm starting a 6 month voluntary program at my local hospice.

I think this is a lot, but obviously others will have way more.
Anyways, I hope this helped :tongue:
Original post by escg
Sure no problem!

So far I've done:
- A week at a GP surgery, not only with doctors but also with the telecom workers, the GP manager also showed me the financial aspect of running a GP practice.
- A week in a Urology and Transplantation charity hospital in an LEDC, i got to talk to patients about there time there, what complaints etc. also watched a live kidney transplant :O
- A month (once a week) at an LEDC orphanage talking about general diseases and viruses, contraception etc. and why vaccines are important; general stuff.
- A week with a Cardiologist, shadowing him.
- 3 days with an Orthopedic surgeon

- And from Saturday I'm starting a 6 month voluntary program at my local hospice.

I think this is a lot, but obviously others will have way more.
Anyways, I hope this helped :tongue:

WOW! How easily do you get these work experience and placement? What university will you be applying to?

Reply 7
WOW! How easily do you get these work experience and placement? What university will you be applying to?

Haha, my mums side of the family are all doctors, so it wasn't a hassle. First choice is going to be Aberdeen, then Manchester, then Newcastle and finally Sheffield.
What are you looking to apply to?
Anybody who has got an offer for medicine, how much work experience do you have?

I'm applying this september and currently have 4 days arranged in one hospital department and 3 days in another, and I may be able to get another 5 days if I can find the time.

This is the only hospital work experience I have, but I have others with scouting and running a school debate club and NCS and such, am I completely ****ed? Other people have so so much work experience in comparison.
Haha. Nice choice. I live in Sheffield but I want to move out and probably apply to Manchester, Liverpool, Hull-York, Southampton.
by the way, I must say that you're very lucky

You have space on your ucas reference. You'll understand when you get there.
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
Anybody who has got an offer for medicine, how much work experience do you have?

I'm applying this september and currently have 4 days arranged in one hospital department and 3 days in another, and I may be able to get another 5 days if I can find the time.

This is the only hospital work experience I have, but I have others with scouting and running a school debate club and NCS and such, am I completely ****ed? Other people have so so much work experience in comparison.

Exactly! The only official work experience that I have arranged is 1 week in a General Surgery. I need more!! !

Original post by Cherub012

Would the reference include work placement managers e.g doctors?

Reply 13
Haha. Nice choice. I live in Sheffield but I want to move out and probably apply to Manchester, Liverpool, Hull-York, Southampton.
by the way, I must say that you're very lucky

Thank you! Yea, Manchester looks amazing. Really looking forward to uni.
Reply 14

That's nice to hear, I still haven't been introduced to UCAS, when do schools normally bring it up? Currently in year 12.
Would the reference include work placement managers e.g doctors?

The reference is basically like a second personal statement but written by your teacher.

So you can include anything you want in it.
Original post by escg
That's nice to hear, I still haven't been introduced to UCAS, when do schools normally bring it up? Currently in year 12.

After you finish your AS exams. Before the summer break.
You don't just write a long list your work experience placements. You pick two or three moments from your work experience and use these to show that you have the qualities expected of a doctor.

What surprised you about working in an Aged Care Home? What did it teach you about talking/communicating with older people, the realities of end of life care etc etc. If you shadowed a GP or another health professional, what was most of their time spent doing, how did they explain things to patients, work with other staff, etc etc. What volunteer work have you done - why did you do it, what do you get out of doing it, can you use this and any other things you do in your spare time to show altruism, communication skills, understanding of people from different backgrounds to your own, etc etc.

This is why you do work-experience - it isnt just ticking boxes, its about learning stuff, and reflecting on what you have seen, thought, and done. This why Unis are not interested in bits of 'I spent 2 days with a world famous brain surgeon' type showing-off and prefer 'I've volunteered every Saturday for the last 6 months at/with ... and from this I've realised ......'.

It isnt about the amount of work experience you've done - its how you utilise examples from this in your PS as hooks for showing important things about your attitudes, understandings and behaviours that matters.

And remember - you need to have actually done this work experience before you write your PS, ie. before September.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
After you finish your AS exams. Before the summer break.

Thanks!
Original post by escg
Thank you! Yea, Manchester looks amazing. Really looking forward to uni.

What a levels are you taking and what were your gcse grades?? if you don't mind me asking

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending