The Student Room Group

Getting my first Job

Hi, basically I’m 18, just finished college and I’ve been looking for my first actual job for the past month. I think I’ve applied to around 10 retail jobs and haven’t been even invited to a single interview. In GCSEs I got all 8/9 and just finished doing 4 a-levels so I don’t think eduction is the issue. About a year ago I worked for two months (during summer holidays) in my mum’s friend’s bakery doing warehouse stuff such as packing/cleaning/deliveries. Since I’m struggling to find a job now I was thinking of putting that on my cv, I didn’t have that originally on my cv as it wasn’t exactly a job with a contract, I just showed up everyday and got paid cash. Also since then my mum’s friend has sold the business and moved back to their country, I don’t have any way of contacting them and their English wasn’t very good either so I can’t get a reference.

So my question is: Should I have a experience section on my cv where I talk about that job? And will it benefit my application?
Reply 1
It definitely will benefit your applications, and write about any other experiences you have too- ie tutoring/ volunteering.
Original post by Bigflakes
Hi, basically I’m 18, just finished college and I’ve been looking for my first actual job for the past month. I think I’ve applied to around 10 retail jobs and haven’t been even invited to a single interview. In GCSEs I got all 8/9 and just finished doing 4 a-levels so I don’t think eduction is the issue. About a year ago I worked for two months (during summer holidays) in my mum’s friend’s bakery doing warehouse stuff such as packing/cleaning/deliveries. Since I’m struggling to find a job now I was thinking of putting that on my cv, I didn’t have that originally on my cv as it wasn’t exactly a job with a contract, I just showed up everyday and got paid cash. Also since then my mum’s friend has sold the business and moved back to their country, I don’t have any way of contacting them and their English wasn’t very good either so I can’t get a reference.

So my question is: Should I have a experience section on my cv where I talk about that job? And will it benefit my application?

yes. it will boost your cv a lot. Good luck and hope you find somwthing soon.:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Kutie Karen
yes. it will boost your cv a lot. Good luck and hope you find somwthing soon.:smile:

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by WillowGW
It definitely will benefit your applications, and write about any other experiences you have too- ie tutoring/ volunteering.

Thanks

Yes, id deffo put it on there. It will show experience and skills. If they have since sold the business then thats a good enough reason for not being able to provide a reference.

That bakery experience is probably the most valuable thing you've got to put on a CV. If you are looking for a retail job, then no employer cares about exams, it's not exam based work. They care about whether you are going to turn up to work on time, every day, work hard, follow instructions, be polite to customers, use your initiative, handle money well etc and so those are the things you need to evidence on your CV.

You don't put details of contractual terms and pay on a CV, if it is relevant experience, it goes in a CV.
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
That bakery experience is probably the most valuable thing you've got to put on a CV. If you are looking for a retail job, then no employer cares about exams, it's not exam based work. They care about whether you are going to turn up to work on time, every day, work hard, follow instructions, be polite to customers, use your initiative, handle money well etc and so those are the things you need to evidence on your CV.

You don't put details of contractual terms and pay on a CV, if it is relevant experience, it goes in a CV.

Thanks, should I put the year I worked there as it was a little over a year ago or does it not matter so much?
Definitely include the experience, you can talk about it for other interviews in future too!
Thanks, should I put the year I worked there as it was a little over a year ago or does it not matter so much?

The format should be something like this

Experience

Jan14-Mar 15 Sales Assistant, Shop Name, Town

Managed a modern, digital til including EPOS, cash, voucher and cheque sales

Restocked shelves quickly and efficiently, including checking sell/use by dates in the fridges

Worked well with colleagues to make sure all jobs were covered

Reply 10
Original post by threeportdrift
The format should be something like this

Experience

Jan14-Mar 15 Sales Assistant, Shop Name, Town

Managed a modern, digital til including EPOS, cash, voucher and cheque sales

Restocked shelves quickly and efficiently, including checking sell/use by dates in the fridges

Worked well with colleagues to make sure all jobs were covered

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending