The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YoloBaggins00
It sounds like you're belittling it.

Perhaps you're being a bit hypersensitive. It's got stories in it - to my mind, that's a storybook. Same as the Bible. How is that 'belittling' it?!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
Wow, you people would consider working hard for many years to enter a competitive profession only to jack it all in because of a storybook. Amazing!

The kuffar would call it a storybook, MUSLIMS would say otherwise!
Original post by BigTraderBoi
The kuffar would call it a storybook, MUSLIMS would say otherwise!

What's a kuffar?
Original post by BigTraderBoi
Most finance careers, including accounting, actuarial, investment banking, investment management and others involve working with debt. In western societies, this involves riba (interest) which is forbidden in Islam. Working in any place that deals with interest and helping these firms is haram.

I would like to let you know because I didn't know about this until recently. It's astounding how many jobs indirectly deal with debt and this poses a challenge for Muslims. I'm not saying "don't do these careers if you're muslim" but I am letting you know that the Quran forbids these activities.

Your username proves to be just a tad contradictory.
What's a kuffar?

It means disbelievers, someone not muslim
Reply 25
Just had a quick peek at your thread history and found that you were interested in asset management.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4433840

So because of religion, you are going to scrap what you're interested in?
Umm, why? It's got stories in it - it's a storybook.

I would suggest you collect info about the book before jumping into any conclusion
Original post by Bloom <3
I would suggest you collect info about the book before jumping into any conclusion

As I said before, I don't have time to read fiction but it seems a popular book.
You shouldn't advise people, you aren't qualified, sorry.
Original post by mashbbk
You shouldn't advise people, you aren't qualified, sorry.

If u are talking to me then i am happy to say that i am more then qualified about the topic
So what about all the accountants/finance workers in majority Muslim countries like the Arab world? Should they quit? And do those nations not need these positions?
If u are talking to me then i am happy to say that i am more then qualified about the topic

I was referring to the thread starter - I don't know what you have posted or your qualifications :colondollar:
Original post by mashbbk
I was referring to the thread starter - I don't know what you have posted or your qualifications :colondollar:

I see
I think you should think twice before making these sweeping comments. Calling something haram when it's not isn't a small matter.

Those jobs mentioned in the OP are very broad, and each one needs to be critiqued properly and consulted with by someone qualified before we can say whether it is permissible to work in such a role or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by faith 101
I think you should think twice before making these sweeping comments. Calling something haram when it's not isn't a small matter.

Those jobs mentioned in the OP are very broad, and each one needs to be critiqued properly and consulted with by someone qualified before we can say whether it is permissible to work in such a role or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep!

What might your qualifications on the topic be?
Original post by UWS
Just had a quick peek at your thread history and found that you were interested in asset management.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4433840

So because of religion, you are going to scrap what you're interested in?

I used to be interested in it, before I found out about how riba (interest) is involved. It is not permissible in Islam due to this. I will find a new passion to pursue, one that is permissible inshallah

That's why I made this thread, I don't want other Muslims to make th mistake I almost made
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Al-farhan
What might your qualifications on the topic be?

There were two topics that we were talking about at that time which one are you talking about?
There were two topics that we were talking about at that time which one are you talking about?

The topic you said you were more than qualified for?
Reply 39
Original post by Al-farhan
The topic you said you were more than qualified for?

I can talk about the specifics of the financial sector, and its relation to interest, and how nearly every company worldwide relates to interest. The only "dodgy" ground is Investment Banking.

Latest

Trending

Trending