The Student Room Group

How to deal with a strictly religious friend?

I have a group of friends that are Muslim and I am non Muslim. In all honesty, some of them are the nicest, kindest and most humble people I’ve been friends with apart from one who is unfortunately the odd one out. She has strong or should I say she takes her religious views to the extreme and has a horrible personality. She is quiet judgemental and criticise me whenever I’ve done something that she deems wrong or ‘haram’ in their religion.

For example, when we went out to eat fish and chips, halal fish can be ordered, so we all did that and I wanted some gravy with mine, and she asked me what is it, subtly hinting me that I shouldn’t order it, I guess she couldn’t say it infront of the waiter but later told me that it is haram. I have felt hurt because it is as though I should be following what they do if I was to go with them. It is becoming annoying as she thinks everything I do is wrong. There are other examples where I feel like she is imposing her religion onto me and sometimes I had felt like I’ve been bullied. I really want to confront her because I believe that a true believer of god or allah in her case is someone who is loving, kind and nonjudgemental, who loves everyone as everyone is creation of god.

How should I deal with this? Should I just accept it and keep silent since Im in their circle of friends? I want to confront her but not fall out. What should I say?
Reply 1
Avoid all direct interaction and involvement with the person with a horrible personality. :smile:
She is a rotten apple and not worth any of your time or emotion.

Life is too short to waste your valuable time on those individuals who are not worth any of it and add very little that is positive to your life.
Don't listen to any of her preachings or give her a direct response to her verbal attacks for not complying with her own religious preferences.
It is appalling of her to force her own religious beliefs onto other people.

Alas, all groups including religious communities will include a proportion of toxic jerks.
Most groups also contain a lunatic fringe and overbearing zealot element that are troublemaking fanatics or get into the habit of playing God.
My own family tree is filled with them, has been for centuries.
Including my religious fanatic of an ultra-trad catholic maternal grandmother who has been a vile noise nuisance for more than six decades; incessantly ranting vitriol about the devil, sin and hell.
My best friend's family are much more pleasant and have a balanced interpretation of religion, they are followers of the liberal shia islamic sect led by the aga khan.
She sounds really insufferable tbh. I think you should stand up to her in a polite way. So for example when she says something like “it’s haram” to you you should reply “no, I’m not Muslim so this is halal for me. It’s fine if you don’t agree with it but please stop forcing your religion onto me.”
Original post by Anonymous
I have a group of friends that are Muslim and I am non Muslim. In all honesty, some of them are the nicest, kindest and most humble people I’ve been friends with apart from one who is unfortunately the odd one out. She has strong or should I say she takes her religious views to the extreme and has a horrible personality. She is quiet judgemental and criticise me whenever I’ve done something that she deems wrong or ‘haram’ in their religion.

For example, when we went out to eat fish and chips, halal fish can be ordered, so we all did that and I wanted some gravy with mine, and she asked me what is it, subtly hinting me that I shouldn’t order it, I guess she couldn’t say it infront of the waiter but later told me that it is haram. I have felt hurt because it is as though I should be following what they do if I was to go with them. It is becoming annoying as she thinks everything I do is wrong. There are other examples where I feel like she is imposing her religion onto me and sometimes I had felt like I’ve been bullied. I really want to confront her because I believe that a true believer of god or allah in her case is someone who is loving, kind and nonjudgemental, who loves everyone as everyone is creation of god.

How should I deal with this? Should I just accept it and keep silent since Im in their circle of friends? I want to confront her but not fall out. What should I say?

im sorry to hear this. im muslim myself and this isn't how someone who is muslim should behave. islam is a very loving and peaceful religion and people who have doubts about it because of how others act should actually learn about islam and find that it is a very peaceful religion. what this friend of yours is doing is wrong. and like what londonmyst said, stay away from her
yeah i agree with all, you should confront her this isn't how a person should act if their religions are different. you could also talk to your friends in that group and tell them how you feel, im sure one of them could help you with the confrontation if that is what your also worried about.
(edited 11 months ago)
Hiya, yeah as a Muslim she isn't allowed to impose on you like that.
you need to let her know what she's doing makes you feel uncomfortable and she shouldn't worry about you like that because your belief is yours and hers is hers. I'd only understand her telling you what to do/ not to do when you're literally about to commit a crime she's gonna be witness to.

You should talk to 1 or more of the other friends and ask if they'll help you talk to her or what they think of the situation.

But the bottom line is, she can't police you and hold you to religious standards when you aren't a part of the faith.
I’m not saying you should do this but if I were you I would 100% go down the troll route if I’m honest. So I wouldn’t confront her but I’d do even more of what she was saying was haram. So I’d order even more gravy with my fish and chips and messily dip the fish in it right in front of her. And it would be so delicious and when chewing I’d say “thank you God so so much for spending loads of time crafting the perfect creation of gravy, I’m so grateful this was an idea you loved and came up with and sent to the world.”
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
I’m not saying you should do this but if I were you I would 100% go down the troll route if I’m honest. So I wouldn’t confront her but I’d do even more of what she was saying was haram. So I’d order even more gravy with my fish and chips and messily dip the fish in it right in front of her. And it would be so delicious and when chewing I’d say “thank you God so so much for spending loads of time crafting the perfect creation of gravy, I’m so grateful this was an idea you loved and came up with and sent to the world.”

hahaha lol i would aswell. it would be kinda funny to see that girl's reaction to it..
Reply 8
Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply! I really appreciate it!

Original post by londonmyst
Avoid all direct interaction and involvement with the person with a horrible personality. :smile:
She is a rotten apple and not worth any of your time or emotion.

I think this would be quiet hard to do as we are all in the same group, we hang out together almost everyday. That’s why I might need to confront her privately and tell her how I feel. But I don’t know how to go about it without falling out and causing tension or divide within our group.

Original post by Sorcerer of Old
She sounds really insufferable tbh. I think you should stand up to her in a polite way. So for example when she says something like “it’s haram” to you you should reply “no, I’m not Muslim so this is halal for me. It’s fine if you don’t agree with it but please stop forcing your religion onto me.”

Thank you for your reply! Yeah I think she is taking her religion too extreme. She might even think that being friends with me, a nonmuslim, is haram, that’s why she tries to always criticise me when I’ve done something ‘haram’ so she’s not associated with anything haram.

Original post by B7861
im sorry to hear this. im muslim myself and this isn't how someone who is muslim should behave. islam is a very loving and peaceful religion and people who have doubts about it because of how others act should actually learn about islam and find that it is a very peaceful religion. what this friend of yours is doing is wrong. and like what londonmyst said, stay away from her

I agree! Islam is a peaceful religion. I have met the kindest and pure hearted people that are Muslim. The rest of the group are very nice, they always invite me and welcome me to their homes. I don’t know how to stay away from her because we are all in the same group.

Original post by MyLifeNotFound
yeah i agree with all, you should confront her this isn't how a person should act if their religions are different. you could also talk to your friends in that group and tell them how you feel, im sure one of them could help you with the confrontation if that is what your also worried about.

I don’t want to tell the others in the group because I feel like it’s going to cause a rift or divide within the group so I want to keep it just between us two and just see how it goes and then consider involving the others. I’m not too sure how she will react when I try confront her and tell her how I feel.

Original post by Jaffacake1212
Hiya, yeah as a Muslim she isn't allowed to impose on you like that.
you need to let her know what she's doing makes you feel uncomfortable and she shouldn't worry about you like that because your belief is yours and hers is hers. I'd only understand her telling you what to do/ not to do when you're literally about to commit a crime she's gonna be witness to.

You should talk to 1 or more of the other friends and ask if they'll help you talk to her or what they think of the situation.

But the bottom line is, she can't police you and hold you to religious standards when you aren't a part of the faith.

Thank you for your reply! I’m quite respectful of other’s religion so when she says something is haram, I won’t do it so to not offend her. But it is getting too much when she criticises me even for the littlest thing.

Thank you all for your replies!
Out of curiosity, are you at school?
Cos I think friendship fallout always seem like the end of the world when you're at school but as soon as you leave you'll realise being uncomfortable to this extent wasn't worth it for someone you'll never see again

Hope you feel better tho and sort this out soon :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply! I really appreciate it!

I think this would be quiet hard to do as we are all in the same group, we hang out together almost everyday. That’s why I might need to confront her privately and tell her how I feel. But I don’t know how to go about it without falling out and causing tension or divide within our group.

Thank you for your reply! Yeah I think she is taking her religion too extreme. She might even think that being friends with me, a nonmuslim, is haram, that’s why she tries to always criticise me when I’ve done something ‘haram’ so she’s not associated with anything haram.

I agree! Islam is a peaceful religion. I have met the kindest and pure hearted people that are Muslim. The rest of the group are very nice, they always invite me and welcome me to their homes. I don’t know how to stay away from her because we are all in the same group.

I don’t want to tell the others in the group because I feel like it’s going to cause a rift or divide within the group so I want to keep it just between us two and just see how it goes and then consider involving the others. I’m not too sure how she will react when I try confront her and tell her how I feel.

Thank you for your reply! I’m quite respectful of other’s religion so when she says something is haram, I won’t do it so to not offend her. But it is getting too much when she criticises me even for the littlest thing.

Thank you all for your replies!

First of all, you are welcome! i could give advice anytime!

Ok ik what you are trying to say....but that is a mistake I made I didn't tell anyone in my group so then I was the guilty one...so what I'm saying is tell one of them atleast, one of them that you trust, because then that person can be with you or have your back when you confront that girl. Then you wont feel that much pressured since you know if it goes wrong I'll have a friend to support me but ofc not trynna make her feel you using her aswell. That is why I have a bestfriend who is amazing. she supported me with everything...and I don't think she realises how much of a big deal she is....So choosing the right type of people is important in your life at any point of life.

.....And I must say...if that girl is new why are u scared to tell the whole group...or scared of her...she should be scared of you...or something cuz she is new to your group...someone that thinks she is all that as soon as entering a group is a complete *****. I'm sorry to swear but yk. and i think you would HAVE to tell the others abt her and get her kicked out, no matter what.

I'm hear for you if you need more advice...and if you wanna talk to me privately, send me a private message on here.
(edited 11 months ago)
Controlling friend: "It is haram!" :eek:
OP: "Is it? that's a shame as it tastes delicious! (orders giant cup of gravy)
OP: "Yum!".:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending