The Student Room Group

2 or 3 A Level subjects?

I want to take 2 subjects as I am poor at maths. I want to take Business studies and Accounting :biggrin: Am I going in the right way?

Scroll to see replies

What would you do instead of a 3rd Alevel?
Original post by Naim Uddin Ahmed
I want to take 2 subjects as I am poor at maths. I want to take Business studies and Accounting :biggrin: Am I going in the right way?

Universities usually require 3
Original post by dxvid
Universities usually require 3

All Universities don't ask for 3 as far as I know
Original post by avalerion
What would you do instead of a 3rd Alevel?

Nothing, just wanna do these two subs for AS and A2
Really depends on what you want to do. Univeristies do mostly ask for 3, and all top unis do. WHy not take a facilitating subjects? Some unis look down on lack of facilitating subjects (like Maths, English, Sciences, Geography etc.). Also if you are bad at maths, you may find Accounting and Business pretty tough anyway. Really would recommend taking 3 A levels if you can and depending on what you want to do in the future.
Nothing, just wanna do these two subs for AS and A2

Well then it really depends where you want to go after school, and then if you're school/college would let you do 2 A Levels since it is an unusual choice.
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
Really depends on what you want to do. Univeristies do mostly ask for 3, and all top unis do. WHy not take a facilitating subjects? Some unis look down on lack of facilitating subjects (like Maths, English, Sciences, Geography etc.). Also if you are bad at maths, you may find Accounting and Business pretty tough anyway. Really would recommend taking 3 A levels if you can and depending on what you want to do in the future.

Ik it's weird but I am really good at Accounting and Business Studies. Should I take Law as my third subject?
Ik it's weird but I am really good at Accounting and Business Studies. Should I take Law as my third subject?

Take a third. If you hate it / do bad then drop it.
If you want to go to university, then probably not, sorry. Most universities need 3 A levels to make an offer, but there might be some that don't, look into it.
Original post by It makes sense
Take a third. If you hate it / do bad then drop it.

Doing bad won't affect?
Doing bad won't affect?

But if you are doing bad it won't look good on Uni applications.
Original post by EllyJelly
If you want to go to university, then probably not, sorry. Most universities need 3 A levels to make an offer, but there might be some that don't, look into it.

Then should I take Economics or Law? I am bad at maths that's why I don't wanna take it
I very strongly advise against it. Accounting and Business are pretty much useless without Maths to accompany them.
Maths is the most important A-level
OP, if the problem is that you're bad at maths, why not take a completely different A level? Talk to your Sixth Form about it - there's always other options if you're hating a particular subject.
But if you are doing bad it won't look good on Uni applications.

That's the reason I am afraid of, I got 'D' in IGCSE and I am repeating it.
Then should I take Economics or Law? I am bad at maths that's why I don't wanna take it

I didn't take either, so I can't really say I'm afraid. Economics is fairly maths-based so if you hate maths then it's probably not a good option. Are these the only two options available to you, though? Why not look at something totally different?
That's the reason I am afraid of, I got 'D' in IGCSE and I am repeating it.

May be A-Levels are not for you.

Why not do A Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in 1 thing you enjoy? available at many colleges!

It can still get you to Uni.
Original post by AwokenMuslim
I very strongly advise against it. Accounting and Business are pretty much useless without Maths to accompany them.
Maths is the most important A-level

somehow I am good at Accounting tbh, but I forget steps of Maths. But not the maths of Accounting
May be A-Levels are not for you.

Why not do A Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in 1 thing you enjoy, available at many colleges?

It can still get you to Uni.

This is a very good point. I know several people who got into university with a BTEC. Enjoyed it much more than A levels, too. A levels really aren't for everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest