The Student Room Group

Nursing Requirements

Hi,

I'd like to become a Nurse, specifically within the A&E department. However, I'm stuck regarding what qualifications I'll need, and what grades I'll need at both GCSE & A-Level. Is anyone able to help?
Original post by leahh2005
Hi,

I'd like to become a Nurse, specifically within the A&E department. However, I'm stuck regarding what qualifications I'll need, and what grades I'll need at both GCSE & A-Level. Is anyone able to help?

read this; https://www.rcn.org.uk/professional-development/become-a-nurse and this; https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/nursing/how-become-nurse
Reply 2
Original post by leahh2005
Hi,

*working backwards here*
3) to become a nurse, in whichever speciality including ED, you need a nursing degree. You'll find child/MH/LD nurses in ED but a lot of them will be adult nurses.
2) to get that nursing degree, you need A levels at BBC-BCC or above - some will have higher grade requirements and some will have subject specific requirements. There are alternative routes and this very definitely includes access courses.
1) for A level/level 3 equivalent, you need GCSE/level 2 equivalent, which typically includes GCSEs maths & English at grade C/4 and above.

The simplest way in to ED nursing, which includes opening doors?
- 5+ GCSEs at pass/C/4 including maths & English
- A levels BBB+ including A level biology, or access course level 3 including 45 credits at Level 3, 30 of which must be at Merit or Distinction (double check each university's level 3 requirements, university dependent can say A levels BBC-BCC with no subject requirements to AAA with subject requirements)
- 3 year BSc/BN in (probably adult) nursing, from any literally any university in the UK you choose

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending