The Student Room Group

Safer Internet day: Should there be an age limit on having social media

Here's an article on Children looking good in selfies and having social media, it is suggesting that maybe the age limit should be 13? what do you guys think, it is ok for Kids to have social media at a young age or should they not until say 13 years old?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/38841467

Scroll to see replies

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr and Snapchat all have an age limit of 13 according to the T&Cs.

But no practical way of verifying age.
Original post by Willy Pete
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr and Snapchat all have an age limit of 13 according to the T&Cs.

But no practical way of verifying age.

Didn't realise they actually had a limit, suppose yes the trouble is there is no way of enforcing it.
Original post by Rock Fan
Didn't realise they actually had a limit, suppose yes the trouble is there is no way of enforcing it.

Short of passports and birth certificates there is no real way to enforce it, it is ultimately down to the parents.
Original post by Willy Pete
Short of passports and birth certificates there is no real way to enforce it, it is ultimately down to the parents.

And a lot of the parents tend to allow Children these days young than say 12 to have Facebook.
And a lot of the parents tend to allow Children these days young than say 12 to have Facebook.

Unfortunately it is just bad parenting.
If I ever become a parent my kids will not have a "smartphone" until I can trust them to be smart with their own finances. Also they will not have access to the internet until I can trust them to go out by themselves and return home safely.
Here's an article on Children looking good in selfies and having social media, it is suggesting that maybe the age limit should be 13? what do you guys think, it is ok for Kids to have social media at a young age or should they not until say 13 years old?

My limits would be 16-17.
I agree
Should have to verify age with a bank account transaction (+1/-1 already in use for adult sites lol)

Original post by shawn_o1
If I ever become a parent my kids will not have a "smartphone" until I can trust them to be smart with their own finances. Also they will not have access to the internet until I can trust them to go out by themselves and return home safely.

Depending on what ages you're talking about your children could literally end up bullied for this
I made a social media account at the age of 12-but do you know why? My parents actually trusted me not to get up to mischief.
I think it should be ages 18+ and you have to put in your passport/ni number to prove your age.
idk fam when I ever read the posts from past me I feel like I wanna go back in time and euthanise myself so limits should be more like 16 to avoid that kinda thing.
It's akin to the question 'should the internet be policed?'. Fine in theory but entirely unworkable in practice.
Reply 13

From the coverage of this on BBC Breakfast this morning the kids were MUCH more concerned by their parents posting up photos/comments of their children.

There should be a limit of age 29. Any older and you're banned from social media.

Oh...
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I think it should be ages 18+ and you have to put in your passport/ni number to prove your age.

That would only work in the UK...
As said already, the age limit is currently point less as there's no convenient way of enforcing it.

The parents of these kids need to be educated on it as they are the ones who have the power to stop and allow their kids on social media
I played runescape under age. I was only 12 :ninja:

Original post by littlenorthernlass

lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Hmm, I think maybe it should be increased to age 14 or even 16.
No, parents have the responsibility of controlling their children.
If it were possible to limit it, I'd limit it to 16+. But of course, it isn't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending