The Student Room Group

what can i do during summer

just need some ideas about things i could do during the summer to prepare for A levels without scrolling through my mobile all day ?
Original post by jessica stuart10
just need some ideas about things i could do during the summer to prepare for A levels without scrolling through my mobile all day ?

You could get the A level textbooks/syllabus and write question flashcards on them
To improve you attention span you could put time limits or avoid social media or anything that gives you instant gratification and swap it out for reading - then when it comes to starting the course you will find it much easier to focus.
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
You could get the A level textbooks/syllabus and write question flashcards on them
To improve you attention span you could put time limits or avoid social media or anything that gives you instant gratification and swap it out for reading - then when it comes to starting the course you will find it much easier to focus.

Hi, I have just finished A-Levels, what advice would you give ? Hopefully I will go to study dent in September
Reply 3
Original post by jessica stuart10

Depends on the subjects you're doing. If you're doing STEM subjects, I would recommend going over challenging questions and completing past papers within the given time limit, then marking and giving yourself a score. What I like to do is after completing a past paper and marking it, I like to return to it a week later and reattempt the questions I got wrong to see if I've learned from my mistakes. You can also make flashcards to help retain knowledge. If you're doing humanities, you could read from your textbooks, research the topics you're learning to enrich your knowledge and also make flashcards on anything you think is important.

I assume you've just finished year 12 like me? If so, then I'd recommend doing what I've listed above. However, if you've just finished your GCSEs and are preparing for A-levels, I'd honestly just say chill out over the summer. Maybe get a job if you want some money but don't stress too much about getting a headstart on the year 12 content.
Original post by MsBobatea123
Hi, I have just finished A-Levels, what advice would you give ? Hopefully I will go to study dent in September

Hey!
If you have just finished A-Levels and you are not planning on retaking, then I would recommend taking some time off. You do not want to burn out, so taking breaks from studying is just as important as doing the work itself, also you will not know the right content to study until you start the course (unless they give you pre-reading which you should have a look at).
I would also recommend doing some of the things to improve your attention span, such as limiting/removing social media, and including things like being outside in nature/reading/meditating and whatever you enjoy. There are some good Youtube videos and books that explain how this works (Dopamine Nation is one of these).
If you can get a job, then that may be helpful for saving up some money before going to University too.
Congratulations on getting through A levels! They can be really tough!
Let me know if you have any other questions,

Quick Reply

Latest