The Student Room Group

Journalism - Should I join social media?

I'm starting my journalism degree this September, and I'm not on any social media, well would you count The Student Room as social media? I don't really count it.

Since been given a place at university to study Journalism I feel this massive pressure to join social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc.

I understand that people who work in journalism rely quite a lot on social media which is sort of why I'm feeling the pressure. I prefer to live a minimalist lifestyle and I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty anxious about if I join social media.
Reply 1
Original post by leedsstudent2001
I'm starting my journalism degree this September, and I'm not on any social media, well would you count The Student Room as social media? I don't really count it.

Since been given a place at university to study Journalism I feel this massive pressure to join social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc.

I understand that people who work in journalism rely quite a lot on social media which is sort of why I'm feeling the pressure. I prefer to live a minimalist lifestyle and I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty anxious about if I join social media.

Don't join social media if you don't want to. When you start uni ask your tutors if social media is necessary for your industry because it might be (I have no idea). But social media will help you make friends and communicate with your course mates and flatmates.
Original post by username6183915

You may have to one day, but you definitely won't be required to own social media as a student. If you don't want to join any social media you aren't forced to.

It may be useful to join various platforms though, not to post but just to stay updated on various matters, friends and help making friends etc. Social media is a useful tool in networking with employers and other people as well as university life/social life. I get the minimalist lifestyle because I also have anxiety so take all of this at your own pace, join it if you want but no one will force you too!

Hope this helps,
- Dom

Hello!

I know in the past I have networked a lot with journalists, particularly on Linkedin and Twitter. Journalists often use the hashtag #journorequest when they are looking to speak to someone specifically about a story they are writing.

If you are feeling anxious - you don't have to force yourself to do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable, however, I have found over the years that turning off notifications and keeping all social media away from the apps on the main page I use every day helps limit some of the social media stress. It means I have to actively swipe to find what I want, rather than being constantly bombarded with notifications.

If there's something thats making you feel specifically anxious, like creating a profile, it's always worth Googling some top tips to make you feel like you know what you are doing on the platforms.

The best thing to do is have a bit of a game plan about what you want to use the platforms for and if the platform starts showing you things that you don't want to see, make sure to always click 'not interested' as this will train your algorithm to give you want you want to see the most.

Good luck with your degree, I am sure you will be brilliant!

Jenny - a rep from Arts University Plymouth

Congratulations on your place to study Journalism - that's amazing! Social media can seem pretty intimidating, especially if you're new to it, but just remember you can go at your own pace, adjust your own privacy settings etc to suit you as you become more familiar with it. I won't pretend to know a lot about journalism but I'd assume a lot of journalists use it to observe and search for things, so you could always have your privacy settings quite refined and just use it similar to a search engine to find things that might be of use to you in your studies etc? Best of luck with everything!

Danielle :smile:
Film and Television Studies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending