The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

First year chemistry

Hey so what are contact hours like for chemistry? And is it true that I can switch my masters to masters with year in industry when I get there, or is the whole switching thing a myth? Thanks!
Contact hours will be in the region of 15-20h with half that time in labs. Contact the uni and see about switching. A year in industry is always a good way to get experience.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Thank you! That's good to know:smile:
how was chemistry in alevels?
Reply 4
Although I don't go to St Andrews, I'm a first year chemist and I currently have 20 hours per week (actually goes up to 21 hours from next week, and another lab session is getting added on in a few weeks :rolleyes:)
It's dependent on the uni, but I've seen many people switch between courses as there isn't a massive amount of difference and depends on how long you leave it (eg if you wanted to switch from chem to pharmachem there's different content and modules so it would be more difficult) but switching between BSc to MChem or MChem with industry shouldn't be too hard :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by CN2
Hey so what are contact hours like for chemistry? And is it true that I can switch my masters to masters with year in industry when I get there, or is the whole switching thing a myth? Thanks!

Yes that is true. I entered straight into second year Chemistry at St. Andrews. In second year I think I spent 3/4 mornings a week with lectures and 3/4 afternoons in the lab. So you will be doing around 4 9-5's in second year.

Basically your first meeting with your adviser just tell them this.
Reply 6
Original post by KaylaB
Although I don't go to St Andrews, I'm a first year chemist and I currently have 20 hours per week (actually goes up to 21 hours from next week, and another lab session is getting added on in a few weeks :rolleyes:)
It's dependent on the uni, but I've seen many people switch between courses as there isn't a massive amount of difference and depends on how long you leave it (eg if you wanted to switch from chem to pharmachem there's different content and modules so it would be more difficult) but switching between BSc to MChem or MChem with industry shouldn't be too hard :smile:

Thanks! That's quite a lot of hours....I really enjoy the subject though so it should be okay.
Reply 7
Original post by unillama
how was chemistry in alevels?

Pretty good! Some difficult topics but really enjoyed it.
Reply 8
Original post by Oxy
Yes that is true. I entered straight into second year Chemistry at St. Andrews. In second year I think I spent 3/4 mornings a week with lectures and 3/4 afternoons in the lab. So you will be doing around 4 9-5's in second year.

Basically your first meeting with your adviser just tell them this.

Ah okay, thank you! I have thought about second year entry...how much of a jump is it to go from school to second year? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by CN2
Ah okay, thank you! I have thought about second year entry...how much of a jump is it to go from school to second year? :smile:

So I don't know what background you have in Chemistry and whether you did extra things like the AEA or Chem Olympiad? It depends really, looking back now it sounds cool going into second year but University is not the place you want to rush through, trust me! I remember thinking at the end of second year that maybe I should have just entered first year and enjoyed the whole experience a bit more. And btw, I'm not one of those party-animal type people.

Anyway, for me the organic and inorganic modules weren't so bad it was basically most of Physical Chemistry that really makes your head spin. You need to take a 'booster' module at the start which is 10 credits but don't be fooled, it's quite hard. It basically covers the extra bits from first year that are not in A-level e.g. wave functions and other basic quantum mechanic principles. Ironically I did quite badly in this but the Physical Chemistry module was my highest mark in second year. You can find out what you study by looking at the course catalogue (you can find this on the university website).
Reply 10
Original post by Oxy
So I don't know what background you have in Chemistry and whether you did extra things like the AEA or Chem Olympiad? It depends really, looking back now it sounds cool going into second year but University is not the place you want to rush through, trust me! I remember thinking at the end of second year that maybe I should have just entered first year and enjoyed the whole experience a bit more. And btw, I'm not one of those party-animal type people.

Anyway, for me the organic and inorganic modules weren't so bad it was basically most of Physical Chemistry that really makes your head spin. You need to take a 'booster' module at the start which is 10 credits but don't be fooled, it's quite hard. It basically covers the extra bits from first year that are not in A-level e.g. wave functions and other basic quantum mechanic principles. Ironically I did quite badly in this but the Physical Chemistry module was my highest mark in second year. You can find out what you study by looking at the course catalogue (you can find this on the university website).

I'm doing AH chemistry right now, got an A in higher! And I've done placements in units asnd things like that. But yeah I was quite torn about second year entry because I don't want to miss out, socially. Plus I'm starting uni aged 17 so the age gap might be a bit much...and thank you! This is honestly so helpful :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by CN2
I'm doing AH chemistry right now, got an A in higher! And I've done placements in units asnd things like that. But yeah I was quite torn about second year entry because I don't want to miss out, socially. Plus I'm starting uni aged 17 so the age gap might be a bit much...and thank you! This is honestly so helpful :smile:

Ah given the fact you're only going to be 17 then I wouldn't probably go into second year, the only real drawback of doing an extra year is the fees. But you don't pay any so. You essentially get two freshers years :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by Oxy
Ah given the fact you're only going to be 17 then I wouldn't probably go into second year, the only real drawback of doing an extra year is the fees. But you don't pay any so. You essentially get two freshers years :wink:

Yeah first year's probably a better idea, I'll have longer to enjoy uni! Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending