The Student Room Group

A level choice help!

It’s not a massive decision but I’m already doing my maths A-level early and I know for my year 12 options I’m going to pick fm and physics as well as finishing my maths and I know I do want to pick a 4th but I’m very stuck between picking chemistry or psychology as my 4th. I know psychology will probably be easier but I think chemistry would be really fun and could help me when applying to uni for either maths or physics. What do you guys think?
Hiya choose the one you feel like you'd enjoy the most (check the specifications first if you know the exam board)! I am doing Psychology, and it is really fun at the moment (year 13 student) - but if Chemistry will open up more career/degree pathways, I recommend choosing that subject!
Reply 2
Original post by JonahBr
It’s not a massive decision but I’m already doing my maths A-level early and I know for my year 12 options I’m going to pick fm and physics as well as finishing my maths and I know I do want to pick a 4th but I’m very stuck between picking chemistry or psychology as my 4th. I know psychology will probably be easier but I think chemistry would be really fun and could help me when applying to uni for either maths or physics. What do you guys think?

Hey! I do Chemistry and actually enjoy it way more than I did at GCSE. I will say it is my hardest A level (out of Bio, Chem, Econ and Maths) but 100% is doable. I will say I’ve been super lucky though and have a really good chemistry teacher.

If you want to apply to Cambridge to study physics (natural sciences), you will want to have Chemistry to massively strengthen your application.
Reply 3
Original post by Maria303

Hey! I do Chemistry and actually enjoy it way more than I did at GCSE. I will say it is my hardest A level (out of Bio, Chem, Econ and Maths) but 100% is doable. I will say I’ve been super lucky though and have a really good chemistry teacher.

If you want to apply to Cambridge to study physics (natural sciences), you will want to have Chemistry to massively strengthen your application.

Originally I was set on chemistry so I could do natural science but there’s a way you can apply for maths with physics first year then switch the natural science for the remaining years so I wouldn’t need chemistry but I think it may be fun to do either way and I’m leaning towards that at the moment. Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest