The Student Room Group

Edinburgh - Engineering as a first year alternate?

I know about the process of studying three subjects in your first year at the university of Edinburgh, and that sometimes people continue with their alternate subject instead of the original they applied for. I assume Engineering is excluded from being an alternate subject? Like could somebody studying chemistry decide to do Mechanical Engineering as a second or third subject in their first year, and then maybe even move on with it to honours? I assume they wouldn’t be able to as MechEngineering is a gruelling and competitive degree but does anyone know for sure how it works?
Reply 1
I don’t think there is any official restriction on it, the only courses that are usually restricted are the medicine related ones. You could always email the uni to check?

I did electives in first year for courses that were technically more competitive than mine. However, there are no guarantees you’ll be able to do your top choice of electives - there’s a chance the timetable might clash with compulsory chemistry modules or the course is full. You would also need to check what the compulsory first year courses are for mechanical engineering, is it just the engineering course or are there other requirements too? They will almost certainly need a maths course, which will probably be very similar to the chemistry maths course that you’ll be doing, but you would need to check if they are interchangeable.

If you meet the second year entry requirements for mechanical engineering anyway (despite going into first year chemistry), your chances for switching after first year are higher, as they are more likely to overlook requirements not being met exactly.
Reply 2
Original post by 567tyu
I don’t think there is any official restriction on it, the only courses that are usually restricted are the medicine related ones. You could always email the uni to check?

I did electives in first year for courses that were technically more competitive than mine. However, there are no guarantees you’ll be able to do your top choice of electives - there’s a chance the timetable might clash with compulsory chemistry modules or the course is full. You would also need to check what the compulsory first year courses are for mechanical engineering, is it just the engineering course or are there other requirements too? They will almost certainly need a maths course, which will probably be very similar to the chemistry maths course that you’ll be doing, but you would need to check if they are interchangeable.

If you meet the second year entry requirements for mechanical engineering anyway (despite going into first year chemistry), your chances for switching after first year are higher, as they are more likely to overlook requirements not being met exactly.

To add to this, I have just checked, and there doesn’t seem to be any restriction, although the first year Engineering courses (Engineering Principles and Engineering Design) are listed as high demand courses, so they are likely to fill up quickly.

You can see all the course specifications here:

http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/23-24/dpt/drpsindex.htm

Quick Reply

Latest