The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Elena 365
If you do please let me know what are the benefits of doing them and what subjects you take?
Thanks in advance! 😀

Only very few people will. There is no benefits because you only need 3 for university in fact, it's a disadvantage taking 5 because you will have too much work to do which might effect your other grades.
Reply 2
Original post by S2M
Only very few people will. There is no benefits because you only need 3 for university in fact, it's a disadvantage taking 5 because you will have too much work to do wrhich might effect your other grades.

For university don't you think that 5 AS levels will give more UCAS points?
Reply 3

Specifications are changing that there are no AS anymore. It's more of achieving whatever the universities requirement is.
Reply 4
Original post by S2M
Specifications are changing that there are no AS anymore. It's more of achieving whatever the universities requirement is.

You know the grades that universities put on their websites for the courses, are they what you need for AS and A-Level or just for A-Level?
I'm doing 5 AS levels :biggrin:
The more A-levels you do, the stronger the application becomes but it ultimately depends on the universities that you apply to. For example, the vast majority of successful candidates at Imperial College London have done 4 or more A-Levels (Somewhere between 75-80%). The notion of only needing 3 is true for most universities however. There is no point in doing a lot if you are ultimately thinking about applying to average universities. Also, you should only do a high number if you can handle it.
(edited 7 years ago)
I know a few people who are doing 4 A Levels and an EPQ, which technically is the same workload as doing 5 AS Levels. They are all very hard working, however, and usually spend their free time working and revising. I guess the benefits are you can talk more about what you've got out of doing all 5 in your PS and also show the range of skills you have? It shows you have good time management as well and also means you can discredit your lowest 1-2 grades if you don't do as well in them, as unis only want 3 A Levels and dropping 2 for A2 wouldn't put you at a disadvantage.
UCAS points are only wanted from subpar universities; not worth the £9000 a year.
Reply 9
Original post by erkutakgok
The more A-levels you do, the stronger the application becomes but it ultimately depends on the universities that you apply to. For example, the vast majority of successful candidates at Imperial College London have done 4 or more A-Levels (Somewhere between 75-80%). The notion of only needing 3 is true for most universities however. There is no point in doing a lot if you are ultimately thinking about applying to average universities. Also, you should only do a high number if you can handle it.

Thanks for the advice 😀 Also You know the grades that universities put on their websites for the courses, are they what you need for AS and A-Level or just for A-Level?
Thanks go the advice 😀 Also You know the grades that universities put on their websites for the courses, are they what you need for AS and A-Level or just for A-Level?

A-Levels
Reply 11
You know the grades that universities put on their websites for the courses, are they what you need for AS and A-Level or just for A-Level?

Just for A2, the end of A-Levels.
Reply 12
Original post by rayestar
I'm doing 5 AS levels :biggrin:

What A-Levels are you doing?
If you do please let me know what are the benefits of doing them and what subjects you take?
Thanks in advance! 😀

I did 5 AS last year, and this year am carrying those 5 on to A2 and taking up and extra AS (and an AEA).
AS: Maths, Further Maths, Further Maths (Additional), Physics, Computer Science, Spanish
A2: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computer Science, Spanish
AEA Maths

Best thing is that I enjoy all the subjects, and am doing well in them all. Bad thing is that there's so many exams at the end of second year xD
If you can manage your time decently well though then it should be doable. I manage to get all my work done inside college hours and not take things home 90% of the time.

Pointless, good unis want good grades not UCAS points from a load of 'meh' grades. They don't lower grade requirements for more points.

Bolded is not necessarily true, unless a university states this in their admissions policy then it is likely just correlative that people at those univerisites took more A-levels.
Original post by HopelessMedic
Bolded is not necessarily true, unless a university states this in their admissions policy then it is likely just correlative that people at those univerisites took more A-levels.

If an admissions tutor is trying to decide between 2 people, he/she would look at grades first. If one has 3 A-levels and the other has 5 A-levels, the one with 5 is more likely to get the offer because most of the time, they only care about grades. But for average universities, there will be no one applying with this many A-levels. More than 3 should only be done if you are considering applying to the best universities.
If an admissions tutor is trying to decide between 2 people, he/she would look at grades first. If one has 3 A-levels and the other has 5 A-levels, the one with 5 is more likely to get the offer because most of the time, they only care about grades. But for average universities, there will be no one applying with this many A-levels. More than 3 should only be done if you are considering applying to the best universities.

How do you know they look at grades first? You also have their personal statement and reference, and for these "best" universities you will also have admissions tests and interviews to consider, so it's not quite that simple as to say A-levels will be the deciding factor.
Original post by HopelessMedic
How do you know they look at grades first? You also have their personal statement and reference, and for these "best" universities you will also have admissions tests and interviews to consider, so it's not quite that simple as to say A-levels will be the deciding factor.

The universities that I applied to (top 10) mainly just looked at grades tbh from what they said. The personal statement didn't actually get read that much apparently. And I only had an admissions test for one uni, and interview for 3 (two of which only lasted 5 minutes and were more of a relaxed chat).
At the same time I'm not saying that it's just grades, but I'd say that for a lot of top unis they are the main factor.
Thanks in advance! 😀

Yes. I did 5 A Levels in fact.

I did: Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Physics and English Literature.

I really did all 5 simply because I enjoyed all the subjects and wanted to do them further. I have no regrets. Yes it was a lot more work, but it was work I was more than willing to put in, because the subjects interested me. Towards the exam season, I lost interest in Biology slightly, so didn't really revise for it, reflected in my grade, but I absolutely loved English Literature!

Doing 5 allowed me to do English Lit, which was by far (coming from a mathematician) my favourite subject to go to lessons for!

Latest